Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coating peeling with extra clean brass

poolguy

I'm having an issue with the coating being stripped from the bullet when loading into wet tumbled extra clean cases. Running bayou 180 gn tc. Loading on a 650. U die in station one, Redding competition seat die. I have loaded many many of these before without a problem. I just got into a batch of brass I bought that is extra clean and the problem is horrible. One shot doesn't help at all. I tried running the brass through my tumbler for a short while, no improvement. Any ideas?

I had this issue too with SS cleaned brass. Seemed like the pins sharpened the edge of the case mouth. I went back to walnut and corn and the problem went away. I tried opening the case mouth a little more b4 going back to dry tumbling and it helped but was the shaved coating was still there.

I also have this issue, Mic you're bullets, see if they are not uneven, I got a batch that I had bullets mic @ .404 .403 and not .401 etc. But yea, bell the case mouth a little more.. Call me a glutton for punishment, I don't have a 650 so I wet tumble the brass, then resize with a single stage press and grex die, and then run it in walnut to get the nice finish and it's a little slicker than fresh wet tumbled brass.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a simalier issue with bayou 180's on a hornady lnl. Thinking it's the rcbs seat/crimp die. Looking for a way to separate the two operations any ideas?i do have a extra pocket but haven't been able to find a solution. Any input is appreciated

I Had the same trouble with Bayou bullets, the bottom of the bullet isn't always .401 or .400 whatever you ordered.. and it's not perfectly symmetrical, so I had to Bell the cases more to get the bullets to seat without shaving any coating off of the bullets, this is when I would shave brass in the crimp station, Because I technically had to much Bell on the brass.. I've since decreased the bell as much as possible to where I may shave some coating on 1-10 bullets and I'm not shaving brass anymore during the crimp process..

However, I was always told by a DIllion REP, that it is normal with new or once fired brass... Not sure I totally believe that though if the Bell is set correctly.

Hmm mine it more towards where the top of the case.it is probably .025ish ring. I'm thinking it's done with the crimp before the bullet is seated all the way. It was worse before I made the bell bigger. I think seperating the bullet seating process and crimp would fix the issue but I'm on the fence about the bullet not being seated concentric to the case and have inconsistent oal after crimping

Hmm mine it more towards where the top of the case.it is probably .025ish ring. I'm thinking it's done with the crimp before the bullet is seated all the way. It was worse before I made the bell bigger. I think seperating the bullet seating process and crimp would fix the issue but I'm on the fence about the bullet not being seated concentric to the case and have inconsistent oal after crimping

Look at some of you're loaded rounds closely in the light, you will notice a slight bulge on one side and the other side looks nice and straight.

I also had that .15'ish ring show up on the top of the brass after crimping, Taking out the bell fixed it for me.. If I load a FMJ or a plated bullet the press runs like a champ with no such issues. I love the bayou bullets, but they need to get on to sizing them correctly. I even specifically ordered a good bit @ .400 to give it some wiggle room and I still have the problem, not as bad as the .401's which some would MIKE @ around .403 on one side and .401 from the other angle.. that kinda sucks ;(

Try this, take a belled case and take a measurement of the bell, then with out a bullet run the case in the setting die, take a measurement. did the bell change? it maybe that the Redding competition seat die is taking out the bell as it sets the bullet.

Update: went and bought a set of hornady custom grade dies with the floating alignment bullet seater. You can set it to seat with or without a crimp. Set it to seat without a crimp and then finish it with my rcbs seat/crimp die(only crimping it). No more shaving the coating on the bayou's. Thanks for the help everyone??

There is a decent chance the brass is so "squeaky clean" that the bullets coating is sticking on the pin tumbled brass case walls.

Believe it or not, I have had reloading dummy rounds "cold weld" together from the brass being so squeaky clean.

I still can't get that one 44mag dummy round apart.... I pounded the hell out of it with a bullet puller, only to have the lead core start to extrude out of the XTP's HP.

I fixed the issue by running the brass through a tumbler with NuFinish added... the car polish waxed the squeaky clean case walls.

No more problems.

Just a thought.

AccurateShooter.com has a good example of it happening with ultrasonic cleaning...

I can't seem to link it but... if you search for "Ultrasonic cleaning, Case-neck friction and bullet seating" from May 21, 2013 you will see what I mean.

Edited by Para 16

The brass I'm using has been wet tumbled with stainless pins in water/lemmishine, and dish soap and then dried in a oven.it is indeed squeaky clean Separating the seat and crimp completely solved the issue of scraping the coating off. Crimp is at .421.

Edited by Brian04rs

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I had issues first using the undersize U die with oversize coated bullets and then squeaky clean new brass getting brass buildup in the powder funnel. Don't touch your flared case with your seating die/only the seating stem is about the most you can do and then crimp in another step. Lubing with a run through a tumbler with media treated with car polish helps and finally, lubing the brass before loading helps with squeaky clean brass.

Edited by gordonm1

Had the same problem loading 147gr Bayou 9mm with SS tumbled brass. Tinkered with increasing the bell, it still shaved. Bought an MBF funnel, it still shaved, but not as much. My last session, I flipped my seating die stem from the flat point to the round point. Shaving stopped. I also still tumbled with stainless pins, but used Armour All Wash/Wax and Lemishine and no Dawn. Not sure if that helped with the shaving, but it did help the brass sticking to the powder funnel. I bought a Redding Competition Seating Die to try to remedy the situation before I flipped over the seating stem. Guess I won't need that now....