Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a CZ SP-01 Shadow and hate it

GARD72977

I guess I just want to "say it out loud" to see If it sounded stupid. I appreciate all the responses and take them serious. I have decided to stick with the Glock. I started IDPA in 8/14 but did not start training until 5/15. I have made serious gains since then. I really don't think the CZ will make me want to train the way the Glock does. My skill set is heavy tilted to the up close hosing stages. I love to train and beat my best times. I just think the CZ is better suited to a shooter that is willing to accept slower times on close targets and make it up on midrange and longer shots. I may be wrong but my gut tells me it a bad move for me.

Before I get the responses about hoser stages let me say I win most of my local matches and score most accurate often. I drive the gun hard and just like the Glock in my hand. I have a lot of respect for the CZ but its just not for me.

lol, wut?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be fair, I had similar experience with OP. I bought a CZC custom Shadow last year planning to ditch my MP9. The beaver tail bites deep into my web and it hurt to dry fire, but I know it will pass once callus forms, just like the first few months dry-fire with MP9. The DA was heavy and SA was about the same as the APEX. I think for someone who has always been shooting striker polymer guns and never shot DA/SA before, it is a big change and surely will set you back for a while before you are even at your previous levels. Ben is not a good example because he shot DA/SA exclusively. I think Alex Gutt and other few GMs who switched from Glock34 to CZ/Tanfo and made national top 10s are better examples. Listening to Ben's podcast, there is one episode talking about gun switching experience. It sounds like for GMs it does take 3-6 months daily dry-fire to be back to your previous skill level (given their skill level is much higher than most of us here). For A/M I guess at least 2-3 months, and for B/C class maybe a month or so. It all depends on how much time you have previous invested on the polymer gun platform and your skill level. So when you do decide to switch guns, prepare for a few months of just catching up.

The reason I sold my CZC shadow after only dry-firing, however, was not because I expect it to be a glove fit and powerleveling tool instantly. It was because of the super long DA length of pull that my short fingers could barely manage. It turned out the trigger I specifically asked CZC to put on the gun was one of the longest length pull among various models. I sold it quickly and regretted quickly too. Should have spent more time experimenting different parts etc. - that's another thing with gun switching: before the switch you should learn everything about the new platform, all parts/tweaks to customize the new platform to your like/needs. Otherwise you will never feel the new platform is nearly half "suitable for you" as your old polymer gun.

That's funny. I was smack talked into joining the GSSF and was handed a G17 and I used some reloads from the store at the range and I was immediately reminded why I don't shoot glocks anymore.

I spent way too much time muscling the gun down and the lock time felt way slower than any of my CZ's so any sort of long range shooting at speed was simply terrible. I had complete misses at 25 yards which is easy peasy on the CZ.

I actually force myself to shoot slower with my CZ because the trigger can be hosed faster than I can hold the gun down, lol. I agree that transitions are a tad easier with the glock.

I'm really aggressive with the Glock. I get a lot of .12 &.13 splits. I was too cocky thinkning that the da/sa would not bother me. I dislike the trigger so much I don't think I would train with it. Recoil control is not a problem for me with the glock.

I was looking for better 20yd accuracy and the CZ sure has it. It's not the guns fault. I just like the glock more than I thought I did. I have a training session with a few guys today and really want to shoot the glock.

I'm really fast and accurate up close. I fell like I drive the gun so fast because it's light. I guess plastic striker guns fit me better.

Shadows are not slow:

I shoot and train with the OP. I have known him for 20 years. And yes he is fast and accurate... His Kung Fu is strong!!! I too have changed guns in the past and struggled with issues of changing, so I understand the pain. I know that he means no disrespect for the CZ... He stated it was the most accurate pistol he has ever shot and that the trigger was nothing less than amazing. He just does not want to deal with the set back when that time and effort could be used to advance him that much further with the Glock. I can relate ...

I'm currently in the process of figuring out which steel frame gun I shoot the best. I do like how I can point my 85 combat faster than my shadow and s2 but I like how the shadow fits my hand better and how the S2 shoots flatter. At the end of the day I enjoy shooting different gun but I really need to figure out what will work the best for me. I mostly like the CZ's because I don't have the break my grip to release the mag. Plus my shadow had a 4lb DA and 1.75lb SA.

Saying a CZ is slower on close, fast targets is completely ridiculous assuming even a moderate level of shooter skill. In fact, other than the first shot, the extremely light, crisp, and short reset of the CZ trigger should be an advantage. I have six Glocks in the safe, so I'm not anti-Glock.

I would expect it to take at least a couple of thousand rounds to be able to make any honest determination about whether a gun change was better or worse. If someone stops after 120 rounds it means they don't really want to know which is better for them.

The thing I really don't understand is this: If you already made the decision, why bother starting the thread at all? It might as well have been in the "what I hate" section, since that's how you titled it.

Edited by G-ManBart

Saying a CZ is slower on close, fast targets is completely ridiculous assuming even a moderate level of shooter skill. In fact, other than the first shot, the extremely light, crisp, and short reset of the CZ trigger should be an advantage. I have six Glocks in the safe, so I'm not anti-Glock.

I would expect it to take at least a couple of thousand rounds to be able to make any honest determination about whether a gun change was better or worse. If someone stops after 120 rounds it means they don't really want to know which is better for them.

The thing I really don't understand is this: If you already made the decision, why bother starting the thread at all? It might as well have been in the "what I hate" section, since that's how you titled it.

Because he was coming here, looking for validation that glocks are better than shadows.

Wow guys, can't a guy have an opinion? Which gun is best, is a subjective thing. If he doesn't like his CZ and he likes his Glock better, he's entitled to that opinion. All of his views are of his own experience, and he shouldn't be berated for it. We are all people of the gun here, infighting and bickering does nothing but cause rifts.

Im not looking for validation for glocks. I think the CZ is a much better gun that's why I bought it. A .15 split is not slow but I have pulled .11 splits with a Glock. Don't get me wrong most are .12-.15 Splits..

When I say the Glock is faster up close I just mean I can draw ,transition, and reload the lighter gun faster. I believe the CZ will shoot accurately faster at any distance a hard sight picture in needed. Anyone that thinks you can get something without a compromise is mistaking.

Im not looking for validation for glocks. I think the CZ is a much better gun that's why I bought it. A .15 split is not slow but I have pulled .11 splits with a Glock. Don't get me wrong most are .12-.15 Splits..

When I say the Glock is faster up close I just mean I can draw ,transition, and reload the lighter gun faster. I believe the CZ will shoot accurately faster at any distance a hard sight picture in needed. Anyone that thinks you can get something without a compromise is mistaking.

Everything is a tradeoff.

I had the same problem switching from a glock to a tangfo ( DA/SA transitiong was giving me fits). I was ready to ditch the tangfo after 2 months but with dryfiring everyday and shooting a match every weekend, I am loving the tangfo. Damn thing ( tangfo) is just accurate.

Before the weight restriction in CO was raised, I shot a polymer gun (P-09) and I can attest that a lighter gun has some serious advantages in some situations, but I went with the Shadow due to the trigger. IF someone designed a CGW's T-3 Disco for the P-09 I would most likely go back to the P-09.

Just love the trigger of the tangfo. Everything is stock in mine except for the reduce power springs and polishing. My glock is my back up gun until I can afford another tangfo. probably selling one of my limited gun to finance another tangfo.

Edited by bulm540