Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets- Having issues, anyone else?

jtrump

Having some issues here... Love the bullet coating, accuracy, price and the lack of smoke....however,

If I MIC the bullets the very base vary from .401 as advertised all the way to .404, literally you couldn't get some of them to go half way in the case gauge. They leave a strange coke bottle shape on one side of the shell casing, and if you rotate it 180 degrees it's perfectly straight..

Had my smith come over and look at my press, everything checks out... We ran some of his Precision Black bullets through there with no issue, cause gauged and plunk tested just fine... yet probably 1/2 of my bayou bullets stick 1/2 way out of the barrel on a plunk test.

anyone else has this issue?

I talked to a friend and local shooter, he Gave me the same name... I'm going to give Donnie a call tomorrow.. All I can think if maybe I got a bad batch of bullets that have more coating on them around the base or something. I still want to shoot this bullet, But I just want to know that when I spend the time reloading it's not in vein :)

Just wanted to take a few pics and show what I'm talking about how the bulge is only on on side.. It's very odd notice the opposite side is perfectly straight. This one MIC'D at .402.5 still woulden't go on the plunk test or case gauge.

post-59153-0-64861500-1456189344_thumb.j

post-59153-0-64170300-1456189361_thumb.j

Edited by jtrump

I had the same problem. I have used a lot of the 180 g Bayou .40 bullets and never had a problem. However, the last batch of 1000 I had about 10 that would not chamber because they were way oversized. They were sized to .402 instead of .401 except for the ones that would not chamber. I pulled them and they were .403. I am loading long (1.225 in ) so they were on the edge of chambering, anyway.

I just got off the phone with Dennis, He wanted to know the problem and I explained, I got an email while on the phone with him.. He had already printed the shipping label to send me 5000 more 180g bullets, and He said he would size then to .400 for me and have them out today.

I call that pretty damn good customer service.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issues with the 155 RN as far as them bulging on one side and not case gauging at the very end but I can push a little bit and they fit. But they all chamber and have great accuracy. I was just gonna let it ride. But I may toss a call to bayou about it if it's a persistent issue

From what Dennis told me, there has been a significant change over in personnel, I'm still finding the new bullets they sent me are still not symmetrical, one side of the bullets have more coating on them then the other, which is odd because they size them to .400/.401 after putting the coating on. I found that by asking for the bullets in .400 I get far less failures to gauge and much less one lop sided bulge in the case. my gun doesn't seem to mind either.