Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How light can you go with double action trigger

JAB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something to be said for a revolver that works. I personally have ZERO interest in anything that only fires Federal primers. That to me is a finicky gun that is only as good as it's primer supply. The ability to shoot Winchester or even CCI just makes me happier. Claiming reliable and Federal primers only in the same sentence as 3 and change trigger pulls is laughable. That's a paperweight that makes noise for a hiking stamp collector on the weekends.

There is something to be said for a revolver that works. I personally have ZERO interest in anything that only fires Federal primers. That to me is a finicky gun that is only as good as it's primer supply. The ability to shoot Winchester or even CCI just makes me happier. Claiming reliable and Federal primers only in the same sentence as 3 and change trigger pulls is laughable. That's a paperweight that makes noise for a hiking stamp collector on the weekends.

I agree.

There was a time not too far behind that Federal primers were non existant. All of my revolvers are set up for CCI primers so that I don't have to worry about shortages of a particular brand.

When I let my pull weight dip under 6 lbs I short stroke it from time to time, running it at 6.75 lbs I don't seem to have that problem, though anyone can train their finger accordingly if a really light trigger is somehow going to help you. I haven't seen the need to go any lower.

Edited by Alaskan454

I have 4 n frames, 3 built by dave. Everyone dave built runs 100% at 3.8-4.0 lbs on a lyman gauge with fed primers, including the 929 which had some early heartburn.

The 4th was a gun second to me that was built by pinnacle custom story is same.

Alec has finger banged all my guns, they are good.

Its what I am used to be because the guns I started on were loaned to me all had actions like this. I get the argument about a mushy rebound though, but I don't notice it myself.

• 2 months later...

I have 4 n frames, 3 built by dave. Everyone dave built runs 100% at 3.8-4.0 lbs on a lyman gauge with fed primers, including the 929 which had some early heartburn.

The 4th was a gun second to me that was built by pinnacle custom story is same.

Alec has finger banged all my guns, they are good.

Its what I am used to be because the guns I started on were loaned to me all had actions like this. I get the argument about a mushy rebound though, but I don't notice it myself.

Dave who, if you don't mind me asking?

• 3 months later...
On September 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Alaskan454 said:

3.5 is seriously low...what kind of resistance are you getting from the rebound spring itself?  Even with fully polished guts I like about 2.75# coming from the rebound spring alone.

To clear up some confusion I was referring to the rebound resistance alone being 1.5 to 2 pounds

I did some tuning to my 929 trigger today it is 3 pounds 4 oz. to go from 4 pounds I jeweled the rebound slide then polished out some of the jewels with. 10,000 grit wet stone. I also installed a lighter rebound spring. I was hoping the jewels would hold graphite to make a supper slick frame to rebound slide operation. 

30 minutes ago, crowmag said:

I did some tuning to my 929 trigger today it is 3 pounds 4 oz. to go from 4 pounds I jeweled the rebound slide then polished out some of the jewels with. 10,000 grit wet stone. I also installed a lighter rebound spring. I was hoping the jewels would hold graphite to make a supper slick frame to rebound slide operation. 

keep us posted, have you had "any" misfires.  Thing I keep coming back to is with the length of the revolvers pull for me there seems to be a threshold at which point I lose control of the feel of the pull.  May sound strange but I had a 4# pull from Randy Lee, it worked fine for a few thousand rounds at which point I had a couple of misfires.  It also seemed to give me fits with short stroking it.  Well after the misfires I bumped the mainspring up and put in a shortened 11# rebound spring from wolfs.  No misfires since and at 5 1/2# action I don't short stroke anymore.  I came to the conclusion that the super light action was messing with my mind.  I was having a tendency to treat the lighter pull as a SA 1911 trigger and not releasing long enough.  I'm sure with plenty of dedicated practice that can be overcome.  But for me I just didn't like it and I've settled on the following as my preferences.

DA Revovler 5 1/2# 

SA 1911 2 1/2# 

Glock 3 1/2# 

But then there's a long dry spell during the winter, Might have to take up jeweling?

I understand your reasoning, I've been messing with my new revolver and I'm not 100% sold on how the action feels under 5#.  With .042 HearthCo clips it appears to be reliable at around 4.5#, but the trigger feel just isn't what I'm familiar with.  I'm going to shoot a match this Saturday with the gun set at 5# and see how that goes.  I used to prefer a 6.5# minimum so preferences do change.