Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI IMM Open gun

Jimdoe

I've been contemplating on getting the new SVI IMM open gun. I know that it takes about 12-15 months to get it build but I'm not in a hurry. I have shot several open guns from several gunsmiths/builders and while I have enjoyed and liked shooting some of them. My itch to get an SVI pistol just wouldn't stop. I guess, I just want to get more feedbacks/review from people that has or had an SV IMM. I tried to do a search and there's not much out there. Thanks in advance.

post-15030-0-32697700-1455224497_thumb.j

Edited by Jimdoe

SVIs are guns of its own. I have shot a few open pistols from different smiths/builders but I always go back to my SVI. Nothing can compare its craftsmanship, details, quality of a custom build and not to mention the great customer service. If I have the money in the world, all my guns would be SVI from carry to competition. Partial much? :P

SVIs are guns of its own. I have shot a few open pistols from different smiths/builders but I always go back to my SVI. Nothing can compare its craftsmanship, details, quality of a custom build and not to mention the great customer service. If I have the money in the world, all my guns would be SVI from carry to competition. Partial much? :P

Thanks. I have heard that quite a lot from people that own sv. But, what make it so different from other gun. I know it has it's own character. Does it shoot more pleasant than other pistol?

I have heard a lot of open shooters that said the same thing as well. But how does it shoot, recoil, the feel compare to other open guns that you've shot before? If I have all the money in the world I will buy SVI the company. :D

I can compare it to Tanfoglios, STI DVC Open and Dawson (I kind of did in the DVC Open thread). Recoil is similar; tracking is great - each gun has a different personality there. Weight and its distribution and all that is different but down to personal preference.

It's very loud (compared to about anything). The other guns have very sweet triggers, but the SVI are fantastic. Less than 2 pounds; glass breaking and all that. It's true!

I like the metal grip (shape and weight) and the big magwell and the thumb guards. Accuracy is superb but then I've had great results with the other guns too.

However, most of extra value is that it is a great fitted gun that runs very well. I feel it is the highest quality tool of its kind. There isn't much with the SVI that you can't get on another gun or have done to it, but it's more than the sum of its parts. I'd say find one and go over it and see if you feel it is worth it to you. How you place in a match, if you have a good decent gun that runs, will be up to you - I'm hoping if I shoot enough matches SVI will sponsor me to NOT shoot their guns!

Latest:

1455226783_zpsubdyqpcu.jpg

Both:

1455226773_zps3ztyih7p.jpg

So how much does it typically cost for one of their open guns?

The one in the OP's post is awesome!

It largely depends on how you construct it, the features you select, but for the one with stainless steel grip expect to pay over $6K.

When I was writing a column for Front Sight I had a long conversation with Chris Tilley about reloading and Open guns. His take was quite interesting; for him he liked very little dot movement and strong recoil but his friend was the exact opposite-hated the heavy recoil. So Chris has his ammo tailored the the characteristics of the shooter.

I used 3N38 in my SV-lots and lots of it since I had the older comp and it liked lots of gas. The gun was a dream to shoot, very flat, the dot never left the brown of the target. I never noticed the recoil. I had Brandon install the skulls steel grip. The same grip on my Limited and 3G 9mm SVs.

However, the old SV comp produced a shock wave that RO and the gallery hated.

My conclusion is the gun is great but spend the time working with powders and recoil springs to get it to feel the way you want it to feel. (send Pat Miles a PM to get his advice-he is retired and loves to experiment)

It cost to go to the shop to look, Brandon will have you getting something. The design is worth the money, cutting edge technology and still, just good people to deal with. I still remember when Sandy and Virgil worked on things. Where has the time gone.