Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering Caldwell chrono, but maybe Pro Chrono

The Caldwell is appealing because it has everything in one package. The reviews are decent. I particularly like the App which looks like it will work with an android phone. My memory sucks and I'm bad at writing things down, and the App looks like its setup well (even calculates PF on the spot). I also like that it comes with a tripod, and lights lights since I'll be joining a range with an indoor facility. But I feel like Pro Chrono is better quality for some reason and I have 2 friends with the Pro Chrono. It's more expensive (although good things usually are), and I don't know how I feel about the App or software and having to buy everything separately.

Any reason not to get the Caldwell? Does it feel like a solid/quality unit?

Any updates or success with Pro Chrono and Android?

Thanks,

Overthinker

I have the Caldwell. It feels as plastic as it looks, but when I shoot boolits through it it sends me numbers on my phone. I then name and categorize the groups, check PF, ES, SD etc. on the app and store it all for later review. Not sure how I could be happier with a more expensive, nicer looking unit.

I have the Caldwell. It feels as plastic as it looks, but when I shoot boolits through it it sends me numbers on my phone. I then name and categorize the groups, check PF, ES, SD etc. on the app and store it all for later review. Not sure how I could be happier with a more expensive, nicer looking unit.

+1

Don't all chronos do the same job? So why not pay less and get a super easy to use free app. Hell, after using the app, I dot think if be happy using a chrony that didn't offer one.

+1

Don't all chronos do the same job? So why not pay less and get a super easy to use free app. Hell, after using the app, I dot think if be happy using a chrony that didn't offer one.

+2

I also like the ability to store a picture of the target I shoot for accuracy after I'm done with the chrono work. Then days or weeks later I can reference all my load and chrono data and see which loads were most accurate as well without having to store a bunch of targets. It really just doesn't get any easier or better.

Thanks guys, I guess that's what I was thinking and just wanted to make sure the Caldwell is working well for everyone. The reviews are decent, not quite as good as Pro Chrono, but then when you read them I think most bad reviews are people who don't read directions or have patience.

I have a Caldwell and wish I had the Pro just because of the additional features. I like how on the pro it will give you all the stats right there on the crono. the Caldwell just gives a reading unless you have it connected to your phone with a data cable. however, the cable never worked with my phone so it doesn't help me any.

I have a Caldwell and wish I had the Pro just because of the additional features. I like how on the pro it will give you all the stats right there on the crono. the Caldwell just gives a reading unless you have it connected to your phone with a data cable. however, the cable never worked with my phone so it doesn't help me any.

Did you call Caldwell and try to sort out the cable / phone issue? I see there are a few phones that are not supported - is yours on the list? These are the things I was interested in hearing about before making a purchase. The Caldwell has a great set of features, if it works right and is compatible with your phone.

I've got it on my phone. The bluetooth works for that. I think I just have to use the USB charge cord and plug it into my computer. It might prompt me what to do next. I have a 20 year old granddaughter that lives with us so she can do it for me. ☺

I ended up going with the Pro Chrono, mostly due to display, on-board control interface, and (local) user support.

I didn't realize the USB would be so cheap and easy to build for the Pro Chrono, and had mistakenly thought I'd need the remote to get it to hook up to a PC. For about $130 I get the chrono, tripod, and USB, leaving out only the IR lights which I might just end up building (I've been wanting to mess around more with electronics lately).

I got one of the bad Caldwell's with a faulty sensor. When I email customer service, 5 days later I had a new chrony on my porch. There are probably better units out there, but for the price and package its hard to beat.

Grant

I got the Caldwell today from Amazon (had a gift card) and the wire was just stuffed in the package not wound up neatly and no twist tie. Is that how all youze guys was too? I'm hoping it's not used because the phone app didn't really work but the screen on the unit worked every time.

I got the Caldwell and used it today. Kinda nice not writing things down and not having to figure averages, power factor, etc.

Yes,I've been using an old Master Chrono for ever,my problem I have 50+- pieces of paper all with chrono'd results, hate paper,the " app alone is Golden," with Caldwell, price 80 bucks +1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I got the Caldwell and used it today. Kinda nice not writing things down and not having to figure averages, power factor, etc.

Yes,I've been using an old Master Chrono for ever,my problem I have 50+- pieces of paper all with chrono'd results, hate paper,the " app alone is Golden," with Caldwell, price 80 bucks +1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That was one of my main criteria. The Caldwell and the ProChrono both have that capability. The ProChrono Digital stores all it's data in 'non-volatile memory' which can be viewed at home. With a $6 USB/serial adapter and single resistor, your PC can be used to recall the data, calculate PF (that's part of the software) and export to a spreadsheet.

I figure the only thing I need to make notes on matching strings to loads. If I number my ammo boxes before shooting it should make that pretty easy.