Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering Caldwell chrono, but maybe Pro Chrono

I got one of the bad Caldwell's with a faulty sensor. When I email customer service, 5 days later I had a new chrony on my porch. There are probably better units out there, but for the price and package its hard to beat.

Grant

Had the same problem with my first Caldwell chrono. I called the customer service and explained that the chrono sensor was defective and not picking up the right speed. Customer service did not asked for more info about the problem and 4 days later, the new chrono arrived. One happy customer.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up going with the Pro Chrono, mostly due to display, on-board control interface, and (local) user support.

I didn't realize the USB would be so cheap and easy to build for the Pro Chrono, and had mistakenly thought I'd need the remote to get it to hook up to a PC. For about $130 I get the chrono, tripod, and USB, leaving out only the IR lights which I might just end up building (I've been wanting to mess around more with electronics lately).

I used the Pro Chrono for the first time this past weekend. Rain had just cleared so it was overcast but with one or two spots of blue sky, so I decided to use the diffusors. I fired about 6 strings of 40 rounds and the chrono picked up every single shot with no strange looking numbers. Very easy to use, and seemingly very reliable.

I ordered parts to make the USB adapter but one of the shipments got turned around in the mail, and by the time it came I was on to another project. Hopefully I'll get that done in the next week or so and see how well I can recall data.

I got the Caldwell and used it today. Kinda nice not writing things down and not having to figure averages, power factor, etc.

Yes,I've been using an old Master Chrono for ever,my problem I have 50+- pieces of paper all with chrono'd results, hate paper,the " app alone is Golden," with Caldwell, price 80 bucks +1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That was one of my main criteria. The Caldwell and the ProChrono both have that capability. The ProChrono Digital stores all it's data in 'non-volatile memory' which can be viewed at home. With a $6 USB/serial adapter and single resistor, your PC can be used to recall the data, calculate PF (that's part of the software) and export to a spreadsheet.

I figure the only thing I need to make notes on matching strings to loads. If I number my ammo boxes before shooting it should make that pretty easy.

Update,unless your an Apple fan, Caldwell works like crap on android,any android phone,ditched the cord ,I'm writing it down,and it sucks considering it was suppose to keep track on my phone,I'm just waiting to buy another,[Caldwell works but connectivity sucks,yes I'm pissed I blew 80 bucks. IMOP, lol

I got the Caldwell and used it today. Kinda nice not writing things down and not having to figure averages, power factor, etc.

Yes,I've been using an old Master Chrono for ever,my problem I have 50+- pieces of paper all with chrono'd results, hate paper,the " app alone is Golden," with Caldwell, price 80 bucks +1

That was one of my main criteria. The Caldwell and the ProChrono both have that capability. The ProChrono Digital stores all it's data in 'non-volatile memory' which can be viewed at home. With a $6 USB/serial adapter and single resistor, your PC can be used to recall the data, calculate PF (that's part of the software) and export to a spreadsheet.

I figure the only thing I need to make notes on matching strings to loads. If I number my ammo boxes before shooting it should make that pretty easy.

Update,unless your an Apple fan, Caldwell works like crap on android,any android phone,ditched the cord ,I'm writing it down,and it sucks considering it was suppose to keep track on my phone,I'm just waiting to buy another,[Caldwell works but connectivity sucks,yes I'm pissed I blew 80 bucks. IMOP, lol

Works great on my Android...

That's why I sold my Caldwell and when with a pro due to issues with it talking to my android. On thing I do miss about the Caldwell is it was able to pick up shots pistol/rifle without putting the bunny ears on as I call them.

Works great on my Android...
Maybe I'll call Caldwell, see if I have a bad unit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, Caldwell sent me a replacement without any question. I took the replacement out today and it recorded my 130 pf 9mm loads at 2230 fps....That was from 20 feet away with a crosswind so it wasn't the gasses. On the plus side, my .38 super now shoots almost 3000fps!!! LOL. I'm done. I will be contacting them again and asking for my money back. I picked up a Competition Electronics chrony from Amazon and it works just fine. About the same cost.