Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to ream the throat, anyone want to rent me a reamer?

TonytheTiger

I know it's a long shot but what the hell.

I've decided to ream the throat on my Tac Sport and I'm not sure I want to drop $60-80 bucks on a back ordered reamer and the local gunsmith responses vary from "is that one of those guns where the clips go in the handle?" to "I can do that, drop it off tomorrow and I'll have it done no later than April". I'm pretty terrified to send it to a far away land where I can't just go take it back after waiting for months, and lastly I prefer to do my own work whenever possible.

Sooooo...

Anyone bought a reamer, used it once and put it in the tool drawer never to need it again? Want to make a few bucks on your investment? I'd be happy to pay for shipping both ways and whatever reasonable rental fee you like.

ETA: 9mm! That seems like an important detail.

Edited by TonytheTiger

OK, I have a Mason reamer and tried to ream my P-09, but I'm not sure I made any progress. I got the correct "oil" and everything, turned the reamer with the "T" handle. I did it by hand, holding the reamer and the barrel in each hand.

Please someone give a step by step on how to do this

For those who don't want to mess with this themselves,

Beven Gram (Gram's Engineering) will throat ream for a very reasonable price, and he does great work. I sent a couple barrels out to him and had them back via USPS in 7 days.

OK, I have a Mason reamer and tried to ream my P-09, but I'm not sure I made any progress. I got the correct "oil" and everything, turned the reamer with the "T" handle. I did it by hand, holding the reamer and the barrel in each hand.

I have had a couple reamers and it sounds like your doing everything right, is there is no material being cut? Don't keep turning encase your ammo case is out of spec and binding on the chamber so your not really felling the throat. Another common mistake is the reamers ONLY go clockwise turning them counterclockwise with dull/break the flutes on the reamers.

A new reamer should be sharp enough you could almost get by without a T handle and just use your fingers it doesn't take much force to cut the throat.

Edited by thompsoncustom

Are you getting chips out. You need to apply slight pressure to the reamer.

If you are applying pressure and not getting a chip, your reamer pilot diameter may be too large for the barrel. Some

types of rifling run smaller on the minor diameter, and sometimes tolerance stack rears it's ugly head.

Try slipping the pilot of the reamer into the muzzle of the barrel. If it won't go there, chances are it won't fit on

the rear of the barrel.

If you are applying pressure and not getting a chip, your reamer pilot diameter may be too large for the barrel. Some

types of rifling run smaller on the minor diameter, and sometimes tolerance stack rears it's ugly head.

Try slipping the pilot of the reamer into the muzzle of the barrel. If it won't go there, chances are it won't fit on

the rear of the barrel.

Sage advice. Also, you may need to clean the barrel to remove carbon fouling first. As someone who doesn't clean much this was a surprise.

Something else to consider is the flutes of the cutter grabbing on the rifling grooves and in essence trying to cut the entire land off in one fell swoop. Try clamping it vertical in a vice and use the weight of the cutter handle as the downward force. If it seems to be grabbing pull it out and "re-clock" it slightly to get it started. Also the throating reamer won't turn super smooth like a finish reamer in a chamber, as the flutes cross the lands and grooves the force to turn goes up and down.

Also, did CZ surface harden the P-09 barrel like the slide?

GJGary, Andreas is a helluva good guy and helped me out when I needed one. I would like to pay that forward now that I have my own Manson reamer. PM sent.

Big thanks to MeatPuppet and everyone that makes this forum great.

Reamed my 9mm czs and now have a longer oal for 135&147 projectiles.

Had my ts40 done by a fellow generous shooter and can't be more happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Some barrels are just too hard for the throat reamer. Called Dave Mason when having trouble

You most likely are referring to a Manson throat reamer. Called Dave Manson when my reamer would not cut barrel of my XD. Turns out barrel was too hard. Dave told me to send it to him and he would check out. Nothing wrong with the reamer but it had been dulled trying to cut the XD. Great guy to deal with. He sharpened and returned to me. I felt like an idiot for not being able to do this simple task.

Does anyone have a picture of how far down the case is suppose to fit. I am having sporadic problems with Freedom Munitions 124 RN. Getting ready to order a reamer since I am not reloading, yet.

Thanks.

Edited by grumpy.old.1

Does anyone have a picture of how far done the case is suppose to fit. I am having sporadic problems with Freedom Munitions 124 RN. Getting ready to order a reamer since I am not reloading, yet.

Thanks.

No photo, but an explanation may help.

Run a case through your size die and then plunk that in your barrel. Should give a good reference.