Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Syrac gas leak

Ryan N

I installed this Syrac GB last year some time and have ~1200 through it since installing, I recently began noticing black residue on the inside of my hand that I place on the handguard. I'm not having any cycling issued with the rifle but it seems obvious to me that gas is leaking from the SG. It looks to me like its coming out of the lower left side hole. But then it also looks like there are signs of leakage on the forward part of the gas tube, forward and aft of the GB(on the barrel). This doesn't seem normal to me. Any ideas about this? I appreciate any suggestions.

I sent this same message and photos to Syrac to see what they say.

20160130_101611_zpsigooisgz.jpg

20160130_101536_zpsse1msxdj.jpg

20160130_101702_zpsdo6hlihz.jpg

Edited by Ryan N

That is definitely excessive leakage, Ryan. Have you tried removing it and cleaning and reseating it? You've got the stuff to check diameter of the gas block seat and the ID of the block itself. Something is off.

Good luck with syrac customer service... I purchased a Gen I AGB from them after less than 500 rounds the adjustment mechanism locked up and they would not respond to multiple attempts (email and voicemail) to contact them for repair/replacement.

Good luck with syrac customer service... I purchased a Gen I AGB from them after less than 500 rounds the adjustment mechanism locked up and they would not respond to multiple attempts (email and voicemail) to contact them for repair/replacement.

I had a similar experience (gas block would not reduce gas sufficiently). Called Syrac several times, nobody ever got back to me. In the end I took the gas block off, got a Sentry from SLR and never looked back.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I haven't had a chance to mess with this this weekend. Now that I know what to expect from Syrac, I may remove it and dig a little deeper myself. Heck, I bought it from Brownells and they have superb CS but I don't want them to get stuck with it either. I may call them (Brownells) and see what they say. Never know they may tell me to return it to them and they will deal with Syrac.

Try bushing the gas port with a shim made of malleable metal like copper or a copper alloy. Measure ID of gas bock and OD of gas block bearing, and insert a slip of brass sheet stock of appropriate thickness with a hole much larger than the gas port and properly located such that the gas port is not occluded. Tighten set screws, live happily ever after. Just an idea.

Edtied: I am only using SLR products currently

Edited by Dr Mitch

Try bushing the gas port with a shim made of malleable metal like copper or a copper alloy. Measure ID of gas bock and OD of gas block bearing, and insert a slip of brass sheet stock of appropriate thickness with a hole much larger than the gas port and properly located such that the gas port is not occluded. Tighten set screws, live happily ever after. Just an idea.

Edtied: I am only using SLR products currently

Copper will not stand up to hot, high pressure gases.

Contact Brownells and ask if you can exchange for a SLR. Might need to add a few dollars, but well worth it. They will deal w Syrac, who will replace the one you are sending in.

Edited by mpom

It leaks, but it works, shoot it until it does not work then install a new gas block. It may very well last as long as the barrel at which point you will want a new gas block anyway. You should be washing your meat hooks after you shoot anyway!

I got the following message from Joe at Syrac today, I sent the photos that I posted above.

"Hi Ryan,

I couldn't go to photo bucket and view the pictures. Gas should not be leaking out of the gas block. You have the option to send us back the gas block for further review or Send us pictures directly. If you are wanting to send the block in for review please send me your bill to and ship to address, contact number, and the exact block you have so I can issue you an RMA.

Thank you,

Vice President

Joe Lim"

Does he know you purchased the gas block from Brownells?

I don't think I mentioned it. Why do you ask?

Joe at Syrac got back with me today and said that some leakage between the GB and barrel is normal for all set screw type blocks but that the leak from the side of the block is not. He suspects that the detent screw may have come out. I plan to send it back to them when I get an RMA.

Guess it may impact whether he will offer to replace it, or refund your cost if you decide to go with a SLR.

Suspect Brownells would allow you to trade it in for a SLR, after adding/subtracting price difference.

No expert here, but a clamp on style should eliminate any leakage between block and barrel. Maybe Joe would be willing to replace the set screw version you are sending in with a clamp on style.

Guess it may impact whether he will offer to replace it, or refund your cost if you decide to go with a SLR.

Suspect Brownells would allow you to trade it in for a SLR, after adding/subtracting price difference.

No expert here, but a clamp on style should eliminate any leakage between block and barrel. Maybe Joe would be willing to replace the set screw version you are sending in with a clamp on style.

Gotcha.

Ryan I'm going through the exact same thing right now, however mine is the clamp version. I just mailed mine back to SO for review yesterday. Mine is leaking out the side hole for the detent and around the gas tube at the block.

My rifle cycled fine as well but it didn't leak before and the leak seemed like it was getting bigger, increasing amount of gas on the hand.

I'm certain that my GB hasn't always leaked carbon deposits onto my hand. Something has changed that is now causing the gas to blow onto the inside of my hand. I hope that Syrac gets to the bottom of it. They were regarded as a great company when I bought the GB last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this response today. I called and arranged payment. A photo I took shows that gasblock was indeed up against the shoulder. I wasn't aware that was a no no. Here is the message:

"Your Gas Block has been inspected. We will need you to call our office to arrange payment for return shipping. Joe was unable to find anything wrong with your Gas Block but he did replace all the components of the adjustment system. It does look as though you may have your gas block positioned with the back of the block up against the shoulder, this can cause gas to leak. Please be sure to space it .025 from the shoulder when you re-install the Gas Block."

It is a good practice to measure the distance from the center of the gas port to the shoulder on the barrel. And measure the distance from the back of the gas block to the port in the gas block. Then use a feeler gauge between the back of the gasblock and the shoulder of the barrel to get the ports lined up. I use pin guages and a caliper... in a pinch if you have a good set of drill bits you can use the shank of the closest fit one as a substitute for a gauge pin.

Edited by caspian guy