Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

34 gen 3 or gen 4

Cody_2130

I'm about to go buy a Glock 34, my lgs has both gen 3 and gen 4 guns available, the gen 3 is about $30 less expensive but the gen 4 does come with an extra magazine. Which is the better deal? I prefer the bigger back strap of the gen 4 as well

I have been looking for a used one but I have not seen much locally. If I can find a used upgraded gen 3 I would be all over it.

And the question is with my preference to the bigger backstap, is it worth saving the money and getting a gen 3?

Either will be fine. The extra mag with the G4 is worth the extra money.

If you don't like the recoil of the G4, you can always swap out that funky guide rod to make it more like the 3.

But i agree with CallsShots, you should be able to find a used one fairly easily.

If you plan on shooting the gun very much get the one with the grip that feels the best. I had 2 gen 3 glocks that I tried and tried but the grip was awful for my hand. I thought about getting a grip reduction but I just put them in the back of the safe. The other day my LGS had a gen4 all grey (Lipsey's) model 19 that felt great. I bought it and shot it and it felt so much better that I ran out and bought a model 34 gen4. I really like it. Much more comfortable for my hand. Other people like gen 3's but for my hand the gen4 works much better. Your decision should be based on your hand and not your brain. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

A lot of people end up swapping the guide rod, and the gen 3 trigger in lieu of the gen4 parts, so now you have upped the price of your gen 4. So now is the extra money worth it for the just the back straps. Glock mags are cheap.

A lot of people end up swapping the guide rod, and the gen 3 trigger in lieu of the gen4 parts, so now you have upped the price of your gen 4. So now is the extra money worth it for the just the back straps. Glock mags are cheap.

The trigger would be getting swapped our regardless of what generation I get, so worst case they are gonna end up at pretty close to the same price.

I've been shooting Gen 3 Glocks for a while, but when I decided to get a 34 this past fall I thought I'd give the Gen 4 a try. After putting a little over a thousand rounds through it, I felt like we just weren't gelling.

About a month ago I found a NOS pre-mim Gen 3 and bought it - much happier with this one. For me, it was mainly the trigger, but I also prefer the grip shape of the Gen 3's, and they also seem to shoot flatter. Since my wife likes the slimmer grip of the Gen 4, it is now her HD gun so it all worked out.

I went a paid for it the other day, W's shard to argue with a gen 3 with a fresh parkerized slide for $380....stupid 5 fay Washington pistol wait kills me every time though. I'm planning on shooting either uspsa production or limited as well as 3 gun limited so there will be some serious upgrades coming soon

I went a paid for it the other day, W's shard to argue with a gen 3 with a fresh parkerized slide for $380....stupid 5 fay Washington pistol wait kills me every time though. I'm planning on shooting either uspsa production or limited as well as 3 gun limited so there will be some serious upgrades coming soon

Nice, good purchase! They're trying to pull the same BS here in NV. I tell em good luck. If you wanna go Production, you gotta pretty much leave it the way you bought it, just in case you don't know. It's almost not worth going Limitied, since you're going to be scored as Minor, and you get hit pretty hard on scoring in Minor. Everyone, regardless of caliber, gets scored as Minor in Production.

Basically you an go nuts in Limited, short of Comps and Red dots. Stipling, slide cuts, weights, thumb rests, slide rackers, mag wells. The only thing you cant have are comps, RDS, and you're limited to 140mm mags. So no 29 round Big Sticks. But as someone pointed out on my thread, you never just stand still and hose a stage with bullets, there's always some movement and a spot in between to drop a mag. I would honsetly say though, if you've never shot USPSA before, to start in production, get a feel for the game, then decide which direction you want to go. Production is still a lot of fun, I've been shooting it for a while, and it really levels the playing field and shows who's got the skills over who's got the biggest budget.