Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing 2011 ejector

Sarge

Sarge, you can use a regular right hand twist drill from the left side. You just have to make sure the ejector is clamped to the frame, or tightly held down. I like to use solid pins instead of roll pins, so the drill makes for a perfect fit with absolutely no ejector wiggle. If you are using it on hard ejectors like EGW's, go slowly and gently.

Edited by zzt

Hello: I mark the ejector pin with a small scriber and use a Dremel with a tapered carbide burr to make the cut. I cut it when the ejector is removed. Some ejectors are harder than others so the drill bit is not the best way I think. Thanks, Eric

I agree. Break the bit and you have a real BIG problem.

Man, this is more work than it's worth I believe. The groove in the leg was easy. I just used a file.

Now I have to narrow it by filing and sanding the side and top since it won't fit in the slide channel. Then I have to contour the back of it to match the slide. Then touch that up with some paint or cold blue. Then tune the length and ejection pattern.

Glad I have all weekend to mess with it! lol

kimberacp, I get the solid pins for 1911s in the EGW pin sets. You can also get the pins only at brownells. SVI has solid ejector pins for $3.64. They don't list the diameter, but I'll bet they have both.

• 2 weeks later...

Woodsk, maybe not. I once broke a Dawson left had bit when drilling an ejector from the right side. I switched to a right hand bit and drilled CAREFULLY from the left side. As soon as I was through I removed the bit and drove the busted bit out with a punch.

Woodsk, maybe not. I once broke a Dawson left had bit when drilling an ejector from the right side. I switched to a right hand bit and drilled CAREFULLY from the left side. As soon as I was through I removed the bit and drove the busted bit out with a punch.

that is worth a shot

It's a 10 minute job with a round needle file. Install the part, mark with a punch, file a half round in the part. If you're worried about filing in the right place, start a little high and file a little at a time until you can get the pin through (should be a tight fit).

It's a 10 minute job with a round needle file. Install the part, mark with a punch, file a half round in the part. If you're worried about filing in the right place, start a little high and file a little at a time until you can get the pin through (should be a tight fit).

Yep, that's pretty much my method.

Yep, that's pretty much my method.

Just don't hit it with the punch too hard or you will peen metal and the ejector will have a difficult time to come out to file the groove.

I just installed one, I installed the ejector,then I used a 3/32 drill bit to mark the ejector where I needed to cut. The problem with using the bit is that only half of the front ejector post is visible in the retaining pin hole, this drives the drill bit into the side of the hole opposite of the post because the post is round. I just used the bit to mark the post, then I pulled it out and used my dremel to cut the slot. I started a bit above the mark, test fit, see where I needed to cut and just rinse repeat until I could get the pin through with a tight fit.

• 2 weeks later...