Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition P320

zen_grasshopper

1 hour ago, gavagai said:

So, Team Sig is disbanded (Tim Herron's Facebook post, web site gone). No sign of Target 320 to date. Anyone else get a bad vibe here?

I might be switching to Springfield Saint for my hype hit soon.

SIG isn't hurting. It's demand for P320s has been pretty overwhelming so it seems that its been busy pushing out backordered product versus adding to the pile. Not before nor am I now in any position to make any promises but I still think we will still see a Production oriented competition gun. I won't speculate as to timing. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there some advantage to a dovetailed front sight over a screw-in post sight (e.g., PPQ, Glock)?  I'm guessing they just wanted existing P22X sights to be able to work, but it's soooo much easier to change the front sight on my PPQ.

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Is there some advantage to a dovetailed front sight over a screw-in post sight (e.g., PPQ, Glock)?  I'm guessing they just wanted existing P22X sights to be able to work, but it's soooo much easier to change the front sight on my PPQ.

No Kidding.. Glock Front sights take 5 Min to change.. Front Dovetail are a Pain. 

• 1 month later...

Per the specs it looks like it will have a five inch barrel, adjustable sights, fiber front sight, polymer X grip, and four 21 round magazines. Those magazines are 140mm (extendable to 23 rounds with the right basepads and springs). That will make it a great out of the box setup for 3 Gun. For Production you would need to use some 17 round magazines with shorter base pads. The wings on the 17 round base pads would need to be shaved off to fit the new grip or just use some Springer plus zero extensions. Hopefully we get more specifics at Shot Show. 

On 9/14/2016 at 11:28 AM, bigtimelarry said:
26 minutes ago, alma said:

For Production you would need to use some 17 round magazines with shorter base pads. The wings on the 17 round base pads would need to be shaved off to fit the new grip or just use some Springer plus zero extensions. 

Are the 21 round mags 17 rounders with an extension?  Or are they full 21 rounders and end up being too long for the production box?

Just now, DKnoch said:

They are full length 140mm magazine tubes so it would make it a bit too long for the Production box, and you would have to use some 17 round magazines instead when shooting Production. Carry Optics allows 140mm tubes so they would be fine there. 

They are full length 140mm magazine tubes so it would make it a bit too long for the Production box, and you would have to use some 17 round magazines instead when shooting Production. Carry Optics allows 140mm tubes so they would be fine there. 

$850 for MAP or higher price and still have to get 5 mags...I'll stick with my 226 or get a regular 9mm 320 probably.

Daniel K

Who knows how long it will take to get it added to the Production list.  And I'm sure they will have to make a decision on whether the grip module will be considered the same as the magwell grips on a 226 (i.e., not allowed).

A nice approach might be to get a 320RX and, if it's offered, a Target top end.

Edited by JAFO

To go on the production list, all that happens is SIG fills out and submits the paperwork, sends a sample of the gun to headquarters for evaluation, and then they add it to the production list the next time they update the production list, which I seem to remember reading happens monthly.  And there's nothing stopping Sig from doing ALL of that and getting it on the list before it's available for purchase.

12 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

To go on the production list, all that happens is SIG fills out and submits the paperwork, sends a sample of the gun to headquarters for evaluation, and then they add it to the production list the next time they update the production list, which I seem to remember reading happens monthly.  And there's nothing stopping Sig from doing ALL of that and getting it on the list before it's available for purchase.

If it comes only with mags that are not production legal, I would think it wouldn't be able to be on the list at all.  I could be wrong though, or  maybe they'll make 17 round mags available with it

15 hours ago, DKnoch said:

If it comes only with mags that are not production legal, I would think it wouldn't be able to be on the list at all.  I could be wrong though, or  maybe they'll make 17 round mags available with it

I was referring simply to how the process works in response to someone's "Who knows how long it will take..." question.  As to the 17 round mags, it's the length, not the capacity. If the mags are too long, and shorter mags won't work, then it will NEVER be on the production list.  I can't imagine that's the case.  It would be a stupid, stupid move on Sig's part to deny the pistol's use in production.

19 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Kind of skipping the first requirement listed at the top of the approved list:

1. 2000 manufactured and available to the general public .

But mainly, my post regarding who knows how long it will take was, as Pat remarked, harkening back to the Legion.  I waited a looonnnngggg time for that one to get one the list so I could swap my X5 trigger for the Legion trigger.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Kind of skipping the first requirement listed at the top of the approved list:

1. 2000 manufactured and available to the general public .

Do you know how NROI determines whether or not there are 2,000 available to the general public? ;) 

20 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have insider knowledge of a good rumor based on a second-hand account of an overheard conversation that NROI has a voodoo witchdoctor on staff for occasions like this.  :P

A witch doctor might actually provide more certainty. ;)  

NROI does NOTHING to determine it.  The manufacturer fills out the NROI Manufacturer's Declaration form which states that there are 2,000 or more available to the general public.  That's it. ;)     And yes, it gets violated.  I can think of three pistols in the last few years that violated the 2,000 minimum rule, with one particularly out-in-the-open example being the competition (5" long slide) version of the FNS-9 getting used in Production by a sponsored shooter with "Look at the new FNS Long Slide!" media coverage a good year before it was ever released to the general public.  No one said diddly. 

It's literally paperwork, plus a hands-on inspection of the pistol.  It happens as fast as the manufacturer cares to make it happen, which could prove an issue if, as others have indicated, SIG is slack on, but the process won't hold anything up.  The process is quick and easy and can be done before the gun is even on the shelves.