Competition P320

zen_grasshopper

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would love to know some details on that other than the obvious. Mainly how long before it will be out,...realistically..

Also wonder if the trigger will be ready to go out of the box.

I assume that it would have to be added to the Production list before one could use it anyway.

Would love to know some details on that other than the obvious. Mainly how long before it will be out,...realistically..

Also wonder if the trigger will be ready to go out of the box.

I assume that it would have to be added to the Production list before one could use it anyway.

In Production Division, yes. But you could use it in Limited or Limited 10 right away.

Coming in from SHOT:

Newest addition to the P320 line. The Sig Sauer P320 Target. Pistol is fantastic even as a working "near finished" prototype. The barrel is now a full 5.0" long vs. 4.7" of the standard full size gun. Slide profile is changed and looks much more sleek. Pistol as seen here at SHOT has a fiber optic front sight (shared with the 1911 Stainless Match for comparison), a fully adjustable rear sight (expect a much more refined rear sight package on the finished production gun), trigger with improved take up and reset at 3.5-3.8lb pull weight with flat trigger.
The real sauce is in the completely new grip module. As you can see, profile is completely changed allowing for a much more pronounced and higher beavertail, undercut front strap to allow a high grip on the gun for even more recoil control, a weighted grip within the blackstrap to further balance the pistol. The frame actually retains the same grip angle as the standard P320 however it has a widened area on the bottom of the grip to allow for an oversized and flared and smoothed magwell. The Target utilizes standard P320 magazines, however they utilize a different more classically styled flat base pad. Expect base pad offerings from companies like Springer Precision, Shockbottle, Obsidian and other current manufactures to work.

Info and Images Via - Tim Herron with Team Sig

Edited by Marshal82

Did Sig have any RX models in this Competition prototype style?

No long slide with Romeos just yet. The SIG Optics guy I asked said that optics should be available on it on the future.

I had previously heard that the Romeo 1 was scheduled to start shipping this quarter and as soon as that happens then expect to see the complete P320 RX hitting the shelves. Another guy told me as early February or March.

The Romeo 1 is pretty interesting itself. Lock screws are not needed to make adjustments and the adjustments are 1/2 MOA clicks.

While the "target" would have to be approved you could put the "target" grip module on the full size 320 and would be GTG

The Target slide is contoured differently than the standard 320, so a 320 slide probably won't work in a 320 Target holster. And the grip module is the full length of the 5" Target model, so it will stick out past a fullsize 320 slide and not function in a 320 holster. So if you got a Target grip module to put on a 320, I'm thinking you'd need to cut it down and then maybe it would fit a 320 holster.

I honestly think interchangeable grip modules will require a ruling somewhere down the line. They don't fit nicely into the Production rules for grip panels. It's one thing to change standard 320 grip modules, but since it has a higher beavertail and undercut front strap, switching to this grip on a non-Target model could be considered changing the grip profile. It could also run afoul of 21.4:

Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

This module would extend below the butt of a factory non-Target 320, and they have a built-in magwell. On the flip side, it's a grip module, not grip panels.

Any information on an x-change kit or parts for existing P320 owners? I have two fire control units, two full size grip/frame sets, one compact grip/frame set, one sub compact set already. I would much rather order a kit from SIG instead of hunting one of these guns in a gun store, preferably at current caliber x-change price.

Edit: I just wanted to add that these photos look waaaay better than that one that was posted a few days ago.

Edited by R34PER

The description of the new 320 grip says that it's weighted right? Would it be enough to put the current 320 over the weight limit for Production?

No, since the Production weight limit is +2oz over each gun's factory weight.

I didn't weigh it but suspect it's less than 35 Oz as is.

Is it just me who is shocked by how big the flare is on the magwell? Or maybe it's just the angle from which the pic was taken?

It's not just you. I wonder if that thing will be Production legal.

Edited by d_striker

No one knows details at this time, this is the first glimpse we are getting. This model is being designed with input from competition guys, I believe it's being designed for production division. We'll have to wait on the details.

No one knows details at this time, this is the first glimpse we are getting. This model is being designed with input from competition guys, I believe it's being designed for production division. We'll have to wait on the details.

The goal here is to have a very competitive Production gun out of the box.

Let me know if you are looking for any particular details and I will see if it's something that I can share.

The goal here is to have a very competitive Production gun out of the box.

Let me know if you are looking for any particular details and I will see if it's something that I can share.

1. Trigger pull, and if aftermarket trigger tuning available (either DIY or by a smith)

2. Weight of the gun

3. Magwell size (if it's production legal)

Thanks!

22.4 Magwell opening The longitudinal (front-to-back) dimension of the opening may be more than 1/4” greater than the corresponding dimension of a magazine. External flaring remains PROHIBITED.

1. 3.5lb out of the box. Aftermarket also available from Bruce Gray. One I tested on range day in a standard P320 was about 2 and 3/4lb.

2. Let me ask. my best guess would be somewhere in the 33 ounce range

3. I don't have the exact dimensions but there is no restriction on the front-to-back mag well opening. Notice that the rule cited below says "opening MAY BE MORE THAN 1/4" - Most people read that assuming there should be a "NOT" in there but in the current rulebook there is none.

When not shooting production there is a factory magwell extension and factory 140mm base pads for 23 rounds of 9mm.

12540980_1259572254058897_58359710384101

Tim Herron has a writeup and some more pictures on his page.

https://www.facebook.com/TimHerronShooting/

Edited by alma