Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

match etiquette

ErikW

Do not walk through a stage when another squad is present. Do not set foot on the stage, do not use their shade, do not use their bag space, do not use their seats, until they have taped up for their last shooter and she or he has signed the scoresheet.

Do not walk through a stage while your squad's on-deck shooter is walking through it. Stay out of his or her way. You'll have your chance later. When you are on deck, assert your right! Assert the right of others. Loudly say, "On deck shooter walking through, outta the way!"

If a stage has "sticky" range officers (that is, they stay with the stage, not with your squad), thank them for their help when you're done with their stage. Even if they sucked.

Erik,

Do you think you should walk-through in firing order?  

Most RO's dont read past the first 3 shooters, but I've noticed some places people walk through ONCE, in order, and then we shoot.  I really don't care, but I do find myself walking some parts of stages a couple of times, screwing up the "flow" of those covering the whole thing in one pass.  Is that a Faux Pas?

Your thoughts?

Tom

Get a shooting order and keep it for the match. The first guy each stage gets dropped down to last. It cycles through so nobody gets screwed into shooting first all the time. Don't jump in front of people. If you want to go over one part start at the beginning and walk up to the point you need to go over. Nothing worse than standing in line, start through and having somebody step in front of you as your are running through it. If you not on deck or in the hole get your ass out and set steel, paste targets and pick brass if allowed.

Stay with your squad! Don't be jumping over to the next pit while your squad is shooting.

The worst Squad I ever shot with had one guy that sat on his ass and didn't tape a single target for the first 3 stages. It was a bunch of the regular guys I shoot with and him. He was finally told to tape or get out.

Its called common sense. If a shooter is "stealthing" the stage you don't get in front of them if they are on-deck or ifs its your first go through at walkthrough.  Take turns. Go to the start box WAIT your turn and then stealth it or count targets.

I get a little frustrated with rude shooters on a complicated stage Sneaking a stealth in, while the on-deck shooter is stealthing. I think this deserves 1 warning per match and then a procedural or in severe cases DQ. Unsportmanlike to interfere with shooter, Not helping paste, not obeying a RO command(most say help paste) and being a rude person(ok not in book but true) There are a lot of rules being broken.

Yea this is a pet peeve with me. Eric's guideline is RIGHT ON! ( Do "Sticky RO's develop from 90 degree weather?)

Tom I don't know you and don't want to pick on you, but yes its a faux pas. If someone jumped in front of you while you were stealthing, I think you would understand. The on-deck shooter owns the stage.

My only point is if your not shooting BE QUIET.... Let the person in the box focus on the task at hand, we don't need 20 loud people behind yattering when someones trying to shoot.

Be consideraate and shut the hell up... :-)

For those of us who insist on "stealthing" a stage, it would be less egregious if we did so while helping the squad in front paste their targets. Just make sure you don't come off as pushy.  I am not at a classification where I'd bother to stealth and I have rarely been scolded for offering to help out.  About the only time I was turned away from helping to tape was at a sectional where the 3 ro's at that stage insisted on doing all the taping themselves (no competitors other than the shooter downrange) - something about scoring fairness and avoiding re-shoots (fine by me).

I for one would love to see a "quiet gallery rule" enforced as the shooter starts.

My hearing is bad (20% down at birth plus many years of Fender strat +Marshall half-stack) and I need the muffs up to reliably hear the buzzer.

This means I get a front row seat to the "which bullet what powder whose holster how's the weather nice breeze damn it's hot breeze feels good got any sunblock look at all the wolf brass who's next look at his new gun almost lunchtime gotta piss who's got water can I borrow your towel tanked that one F'in no-shoot hope I got enough ammo for the match" conversations.

No big deal, but I  feel like an a-hole asking for quiet.

Anybody request silence?

SA

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 9:06 am on June 25, 2002)

While I do respect the shooter at the line by being quiet during their run I don't worry about noise when I am at the line.  I wear electronics muffs so I can hear the RO.  Any other sounds are just part of the environment.  Shooting on a public range for many years with other shooters brass hitting me or some guy touching off belted magnums while I try to shoot has left me sort of deadened to those factors.  

I would hate to see practical shooting become like golf where the slightest sound is frowned upon.  I also hate to see those in the gallery make such a huge ruckus during a run that they drown out the sound of a comped open gun!  Okay maybe that is exaggerating just a bit.  I guess what I am trying to say is that I think there is a middle ground between the sound levels of a golf tournament and a rock concert where normal conversation is acceptable.

-jhgtyre

That's why I feel like an a-hole asking for quiet, and don't, although I do ask for quiet when I'm running a shooter as the RO.

We only need to be quiet after LAMR and until the buzzer. After that it doesn't matter.

Just druthers, no big deal.

SA

I liked the custom at Richmond, CA where the RO *assigns* shooters to be tapers, brassers, etc. when calling out the shooting order.  There is no question of what the responsibilities are.  

At our club, we have a clique of crabby old farts who won't do anything to help anybody.  They won't tape, pick brass, set targets...nothing.  It pisses me off every time I go.  I'm getting pretty hip to the "get with the program or get out" policy.

The RO should quiet the crowd before the buzzer.  Socialization is great, but common courtesy demands that we give every shooter his or her 30 seconds in the sun.  Shutting up for half a minute isn't too much to ask.

E

When I took the clipboard for a few stages at the Crazy Croc, I was calling out names and duties. It caused confusion... some people didn't know what the hell I was doing. I guess they weren't used to being told what to do.

I've seen ROs demand silence from a rowdy squad when he's about to give the ARY? and SB! commands.

Erik,

No, it was probably more like they felt like they were *too good* to do anything.  I'll just bet the only folks picking brass were either new shooters or from out of town.

I really liked the etiquette and sportsmanship in CA.  I didn't see anybody sitting back on the benches pouting like children like they do here locally.  I'm sorry you had a lousy experience, but I'm glad to know it's not just me.  

E

I like pasting targets...It's good for fine tuning strategery, and pasting the last guy's As (or Ds) is motivating for me, and calms me down.

I don't mind picking up brass either, except for guys who count brass on the way out. (Should be three more...) I just try to hear how many they need, then tell them, here's the rest of your brass, all X of them. :)

We had a batch of shoot-n-scooters for a while that didn't help tear down and put away props.   So, we instituted a $5-to-leave-early policy.  The extra cash we got paid for lunch and drinks for the people that did help.  

The non-tapers we put all on the same squad, so they have to do it or do without.

(Edited by shred at 2:48 pm on June 25, 2002)

My Crazy Croc squad was OK with taping and everything. We had a couple guys who were getting in the way on the walk-throughs and walking in on the squad we were waiting for. When I was new I did that until somebody kindly edjumacated me.

Hell I'm still guilty of doing partial walk-throughs when I'm not on deck, but I get out of the way of the on deck shooter. (Usually I walk behind him/her.)

The best behaved people are the squads at the nationals. They all line up like kindergartners for recess.

At our world famous Tuesday night matches at Rio, the RO calls out the shooter, shooter on deck and in the hole, a couple steel reseters, a couple brassers, and a taper, if necessary. It's not uncommon for the 4 hour, 4 stage match to run through 130+ shooters.

be

I like taping as well.  Gives me a chance to scope everything out.

I don't like picking up brass at all.  It seems like I have to pick most of mine up on nearly all stages(never any help when I shoot last), so I have a bad attitude about it.  Most of the time I'll pick up brass for a shooter or two after I shoot just to make sure I get all mine back(they're marked).  Once that happens I go back to taping.  

My motto on talking is "shut your yap hole while I'm shooting".  Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but the old deaf guys can be heard over any amount of shooting and it pisses me off.  30 or so seconds isn't a long time to keep quiet.

I will certainly tell people to shut up if they're still running their mouths after I get the LAMR command, but I'm a golfer who has zero tolerance for that sort of golf "gaming" and it tends to carry over.  They can discuss me being an a_-hole AFTER I shoot.

Here's a major match, international perspective:

1) The shooting order is determined by match officials using a simple formula.

Each RO is given a squad list and competitors shoot in the order in which they appear on that list, relevant to the stage number.

Hence the competitor who's name appears 8th on the list shoots first on Stage #8, and the competitor who's name appears 9th on the list shoots first on Stage #9.

When they get to Stage #28, the RO will count down the list until he gets to the "28th" competitor in the squad. In a 15 man squad, this means the competitor who's name appears 13th on the list will shoot first on Stage #28.

2) After the squad briefing, competitors are expected to line-up in an orderly fashion and conduct their first walk through. The line snakes through the COF two or three times and everybody gets a fair, equal and unimpeded chance.

Once the range has been cleared and the shooting commences, the only person permitted to do another walkthrough during taping is the next competitor on the line.

Others who try to "muscle-in" get a warning first, followed by a procedural.

Unless we enforce these rules, the World Shoot and other major matches would be in total disarray.

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 8:00 pm on June 28, 2002)

Ok... it must be said. I can deal with the talking...( I chalk it up to a good focus tool...block it out and Im working on my focus.)

HOWEVER....

My club has a shooter who feels it is a requirement to use the F word to describe every detail of the course. A situation I have tried to correct by talking to him.

I guess my gripe isnt the talking so much as the words being said.

By the way... I took my daughter to a match that the above mentioned shooter was at. And after the first foul word fell from his lips...my non- shooter daughter walked over (she is 14 by the way) and asked him to please "refrain from useing that type of languge around her."

She actually got a standing ovation from several other shooters.

• 2 months later...

Match etiquette is obviously a flexible thing.  If you think that shooters should conga-line through a COF once they've gotten the course description, you haven't spent much time with a team from the Phillipines.  The Italians are almost as bad.  Line crashing, sneaking a sight-picture-hands look through the window you're stealthing in on, standing in a box, window or door discussing the targets with other shooters while the rest try to look at it, you name it.

Corrections make a difference for a short time.

What we need at international matches is a multi-language card.  How do you say "On deck shooter coming through" in Tagalog or Italian?

Quote: from Patrick Sweeney on 11:54 am on Oct. 1, 2002

Match etiquette is obviously a flexible thing.  If you think that shooters should conga-line through a COF once they've gotten the course description, you haven't spent much time with a team from the Phillipines.  The Italians are almost as bad.  Line crashing, sneaking a sight-picture-hands look through the window you're stealthing in on, standing in a box, window or door discussing the targets with other shooters while the rest try to look at it, you name it.

Corrections make a difference for a short time.

What we need at international matches is a multi-language card.  How do you say "On deck shooter coming through" in Tagalog or Italian?

in italian it's

"sulla venuta di tiratore di ponte attraverso."

Can't help you on the tagalog.

What you need is a competant Range Officer to control his range.

After I give my briefing, I stand there like a traffic cop to ensure everybody gets an equal opportunity to inspect the COF.

This is part of "Assisting the competitor".