Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips for 1911

Wrinkles

I have a 1911 9 m m and as i fire i keep having to reposition my left hand ,have tried skate board tape ,then it eats up my hand. Was thinking of a big lump of something to hold the palm in the same place ,the right side is fine.

Hello: Hard to tell if you are right or left handed? One thing that helps me is having good grip on the front strap either checkering or skate board tape. I also like checkering on the mainspring housing all the way to the bottom of the magwell or frame. I grip the 1911 more in the front and back then on the sides. I have large hands so you may grip the gun differently then me. You can buildup your grips also with Bondo or get wood target grips as well. Thanks, Eric

I have a 1911 9 m m and as i fire i keep having to reposition my left hand ,have tried skate board tape ,then it eats up my hand. Was thinking of a big lump of something to hold the palm in the same place ,the right side is fine.

I cannot quite figure out what exactly is slipping. Your "strong hand"/ trigger hand?

As for skateboard tape on the front, I recall it was rough on my fingers, to start with. I had to limit my shooting and dry firing, until I developed some calluses. If I wear out my tape, I'm putting on a new piece...

Hard to say what would give you a better grip but not be as hard on your hands as skateboard tape. Honestly my best advise would be to just keep at it. Your hands will get tougher over time.

If I'm reading this correctly I assume your weak hand is the one that is shifting. Grip the heck out of the gun with your weak hand. If a 9mm 1911 is getting away from you, you aren't gripping hard enough.

Edited by CaptainOverkill

It is my weak hand and if i grip any harder I will bend the frame . HA I have been trying to do 30% with strong hand and 70% with weak hand . I an sure I have lost a lot of strength in my hands as i am old !

I have skate tape on the front and checkering all the way down the mainspring housing . I will try working to strengthening my grip ,as I have lots of time.

I an not familiar with the Perman grip ,but will look into it. I like the idea of bondo also. I have some old plastic grips I will start with . I thank all of you for you information.

I love the VZ and have them on three guns and wouldn't use anything else for real shooting. The operator ii are crazy, I take sandpaper to them. Aliens you can go right to work they're a good grip without being painful. Get the super scoop on them

Red

If you shoot shotguns you might be familiar with a palm swell grip.

Hogue makes a palm swell grip for the 1911. I have one, i like it. I have used skate tape, smooth, sharp checking etc. The Hogue is pretty sweet but not cheap.

It is my weak hand and if i grip any harder I will bend the frame ....

How are you gripping your 1911? Any chance you could get a photo?

When I grip my 1911 style gun, my weak hand heel touches the left grip panel (regular checkered wood panel) and the index finger is against the bottom of the trigger guard. The fingers are wrapped around the strong hand fingers and the thumb is in the air pointing forward. I haven't been gripping hard - and detect no slipping even with pretty sturdy 45ACP loads.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...