Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

On 8/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Oh and I shot it with and without the 13lb recoil spring. Definitely going to run the 13lb spring - I like the way the sights track a lot more than the heavier factory spring, and the one jam I had wasn't the fault of the lighter spring. The gun was fully in battery when I had a failure to extract.

Is the magwell easily reloadable ?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Oh and I shot it with and without the 13lb recoil spring. Definitely going to run the 13lb spring - I like the way the sights track a lot more than the heavier factory spring, and the one jam I had wasn't the fault of the lighter spring. The gun was fully in battery when I had a failure to extract.

Is the magwell easily reloadable ?

Yes. A machinist buddy turned a SS one for me that lets me run a flat-wire Wilson 1911 spring of my choice. I run a 13 now. Sidenote: it'a virtually identical to a Glock or M&P 13lb IMSI spring.

If you don't want to go to that trouble, no worries. Walther will mayyyybe have a tungsten guiderod out for it soon. Let's just say I heard this from a very reliable source.

19 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Yes. A machinist buddy turned a SS one for me that lets me run a flat-wire Wilson 1911 spring of my choice. I run a 13 now. Sidenote: it'a virtually identical to a Glock or M&P 13lb IMSI spring.

If you don't want to go to that trouble, no worries. Walther will mayyyybe have a tungsten guiderod out for it soon. Let's just say I heard this from a very reliable source.

Drooling....

I need a lighter recoil spring soon. I shot my Q5 in CQ first time this weekend and it felt 'spongy' and I noticed a crazy muzzle dip. My dot (actually a triangle) was bouncing too much.

I have ordered a Sprinco with their white spring but have not received it yet. I guess their business has been affected by the harricane. I hope they are OK.

Memphis - thanks for sharing your set up. When you say "1911 spring", is it for Government size? Are you using any recoil spring plug or something like that inside the slide or you just let the front of the guide rod ride on the slide? thanks!

14 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

Memphis - thanks for sharing your set up. When you say "1911 spring", is it for Government size? Are you using any recoil spring plug or something like that inside the slide or you just let the front of the guide rod ride on the slide? thanks!

5" Wilson flat-wire 1911 spring.

The recoil spring in every gun rides directly on the slide. The plug in the front is only there to capture it when you take the gun apart: I run all of mine uncaptured.

EDIT: I see what you're asking. The rod may or may not be contacting the slide. I haven't looked, but many weapons work that way just fine.

There are pictures a page or two earlier in this same thread.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Many thanks Memphis!

I am going with this one

https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/shop/zrts-firearm-accessories/walther-ppqp99-full-length-stainless-guide-rod/

They are removing the button head that captures the spring and machining the rod to 0.250" so that I can use a 1911 (5") flat wire spring with it. $61 w/ shipping included. I ordered Wilson Combat 13lbs springs for it.

Hope this will make a difference!

To answer my own question, the guide rod shall be held by the recoil spring inside the 'tunnel' so the contact between the slide and the rod shall be nothing to worry about. 

Thank you!

Hm, I am totally new to "Optics Pistols" and by surfing through the www. I´ve read and seen alot about co-witness with the irons for faster dot-acquisition.

How do you guys think about that, because the Q5s rear goes off when an optic is mounted?

8 hours ago, jayjay1 said:

Thank you!

Hm, I am totally new to "Optics Pistols" and by surfing through the www. I´ve read and seen alot about co-witness with the irons for faster dot-acquisition.

How do you guys think about that, because the Q5s rear goes off when an optic is mounted?

Co-witness seems to be bigger on the "tactical" side, where they have the "might die if my dot goes down" mindset...whether true or not.

Competition side seems to go with the "dry fire enough to have a good dot index".

Today, I shot Steel Challenge with my Q5. At one stage, the lighting was so harsh from a wrong angle that I could not see the triangle very well. The triangle was almost invisible. I wished I had had co-witness sights :(

Edited by jaep1911

On 9/16/2017 at 6:51 PM, BritinUSA said:

If you have a DeltaPoint then you could get the optional rear sight accessory and then get Dawson to make you a taller front sight for it.

Details: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/59593-q5-deltapoint-pro-optic.html#post610601

Yes sir! I am looking into it. Thank you sir.

On 9/16/2017 at 5:46 PM, jaep1911 said:

Today, I shot Steel Challenge with my Q5. At one stage, the lighting was so harsh from a wrong angle that I could not see the triangle very well. The triangle was almost invisible. I wished I had had co-witness sights :(

Ditch the triangle and run the 2.5moa version of the Deltapoint with its insanely bright dot.

I’m running the 2.5. A few buddies have the triangle and are now considering switching.

With regard to backup irons? Don’t bother. Spend time in dryfire and life fire and you’ll learn to present the gun with the dot ready and waiting.

Comp gun and carry gun:

IMG_7680.JPG.83021a732e5136699dc8508acb5a3788.JPGIMG_7681.thumb.JPG.c44126afab4d44ae24ebe865b88b2121.JPG

With the TTI basepads and the Grams follower/spring kit for a P320, I do indeed get a reloadable 23 rounds in the magazine. However, it doesn’t lock open when empty because you have to shave that tab off the follower. Our friend was right.

On 9/20/2017 at 9:12 AM, LeviSS said:

How's the gun ran for you?

I had a double feed the first time I shot it in a match, although the ammo I was running was too long to plunk in the Walther - two reshoots on a 32 rounds stage burned through the stuff I’d loaded for this gun.

I’ve been through 750 rounds or so since then without a single malfunction. It’s running great.

I love the way the gun points, and for a 5lb trigger it’s exceptionally shootable.

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I had a double feed the first time I shot it in a match, although the ammo I was running was too long to plunk in the Walther - two reshoots on a 32 rounds stage burned through the stuff I’d loaded for this gun.

I’ve been through 750 rounds or so since then without a single malfunction. It’s running great.

I love the way the gun points, and for a 5lb trigger it’s exceptionally shootable.

Are you running the factory trigger?

Thank you for all this great info on the Q5 , I just picked one up a few weeks ago and plan to use it for CO at some point next year. I read the whole thread and saw where you mentioned the Home Depot springs and you decided to stick with the stock springs. Did you go back to the aftermarket springs to achieve the 2 plus pound trigger with the appropriate polishing of the sear and such?

1 hour ago, BritinUSA said:

I think you will be wasting your time with the HomeDepot spring solution: This post has the details on the correct spring: Link

I played with one setup like that at the last match. It’s noticeably better than the Home Depot spring. However, I still prefer the factory spring and trigger. It’s cleaner, and you’ll shoot the same size group at 25yd or the same bill drill either way.

I chased 4 different trigger kits in my original G34. APEX’d the hell out of an M&P at 2.75lbs. Then ran $350 worth of aftermarket parts in a Tanfoglio with a 2.1lb trigger as short and clean as a 1911.

Compared to the Q5? I shoot them all the same. Leave the trigger alone and shoot/dryfire the gun as often as you can.