Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How quickly have you broken a TRS?

ArrDave

So I picked up my shiny new 75B on 12/13. Cool, new platform. Really have been putting in a lot of dry fire time, only 400 rounds in live fire. This morning, got a good firing grip, good pressure, squeeze, click/snap. Trigger won't reset. Previously I broke the FPRP on my 75 compact from dryfire with no snap caps, so i always use snap caps going forward, but 2 weeks of maybe 200 reps a day seems pretty quick for a TRS to break.

So is that common? I have cajun parts on order anyway, but can I expect life cycles that short out of replacement springs if I keep practicing how I'm practicing?

Trigger-return springs from CZC and CGW are both far more durable than the factory one. I've never broken an aftermarket one but replace them every 10k live rounds, which includes some ridiculous number of dry-fire pulls.

Trigger-return springs from CZC and CGW are both far more durable than the factory one. I've never broken an aftermarket one but replace them every 10k live rounds, which includes some ridiculous number of dry-fire pulls.

I've heard 10k rounds but never knew if that includes dry fire.

Edited by ArrDave

Every cycle of the spring is a cycle of the spring and leads to fatigue failure. I dry fire about 6 pulls per live fire round. My stock spring lasted about 1k rounds. My CGW spring lasted 8k. I now change the stock springs for CGW RP-TRS springs on new guns and then change them every 6k rounds.

Seem to be somewhat random with the factory spring. I think it's a good practice to just go ahead and replace the stock one with the Cajun trigger pin and spring.

Keep the factory one as a backup for a match bag

Seem to be somewhat random with the factory spring. I think it's a good practice to just go ahead and replace the stock one with the Cajun trigger pin and spring.

That's definitely going to be SOP moving forward.

That's definitely going to be SOP moving forward.

Wrong answer. Save on shipping. Buy 3 or 4 up front. Never run out.

I broke my first Cajun TRS at 5,000 rounds and a ton of dry fire. The side of that spring was worn flat from rubbing against the side of the trigger. I now grease the spring there and the replacement lasted 15,000 rounds with the same frequency of dry fire and was still going when I replaced it as anual maintenance.

I keep a couple of spares on hand, at least 3 (one each for practice and match guns plus a spare). I do the same thing for all wear items, especially ones that are expected to fail. Slide stops, trigger return springs, hammer springs. That way if I need to replace one before a match I don't have to worry about getting it shipped in time.

Edited by bthoefer

I broke my first Cajun TRS at 5,000 rounds and a ton of dry fire. The side of that spring was worn flat from rubbing against the side of the trigger. I now grease the spring there and the replacement lasted 15,000 rounds with the same frequency of dry fire and was still going when I replaced it as anual maintenance.

I keep a couple of spares on hand, at least 3 (one each for practice and match guns plus a spare). I do the same thing for all wear items, especially ones that are expected to fail. Slide stops, trigger return springs, hammer springs. That way if I need to replace one before a match I don't have to worry about getting it shipped in time.

what kind of grease?

what kind of grease?

I'm using slide glide lite because its what I had on hand. The heavy weight would probably work just as well or better.

I'm using slide glide lite because its what I had on hand. The heavy weight would probably work just as well or better.

I have Some Slip2000 EWL and Zero Friction, but these are fairly similar and lite. I probably need to break down and get something a bit more viscous for keeping the springs going, but something is better than nothing I suppose.

what kind of grease?

CGW's has grease

I have Some Slip2000 EWL and Zero Friction, but these are fairly similar and lite. I probably need to break down and get something a bit more viscous for keeping the springs going, but something is better than nothing I suppose.

For this I think thicker would work better just because it would stay put. I was surprised how much the first spring had worn down when it broke. It was worn completely flat and about 1/4 the way through the spring when it broke. The replacement spring had much less wear on it with 3 times the use. The only difference was the replacement was always greased.

what kind of grease?
CGW's has grease

Isn't CGW's grease a moly based grease IIRC? Moly breaks down under pressure and becomes mildly abrasive. I'm not a fan of moly grease.

I broke mine at 10K of live fire and a lot of dry fire. Replaced it last night using a CGW floating pin. Not a big deal. Takes 5min if you know how to do it and 15 min if you do not. I am going to routinely replace it every 5K. Just like I replace a recoil spring every 3K

Edited by cheby

I went through 2 or 3 springs in about 5K live fire rounds, with a lot more dryfire pulls in between that, but who counts dry fire cycles so its really hard to say how long they last. All I know is if you every have to change one out during a match, you will be glad you have several spares since they get lost in the gravel very easily when you fumble one.

• 1 month later...

I broke mine at 10K of live fire and a lot of dry fire. Replaced it last night using a CGW floating pin. Not a big deal. Takes 5min if you know how to do it and 15 min if you do not. I am going to routinely replace it every 5K. Just like I replace a recoil spring every 3K

Well, I broke another one last night dryfiring. It's been slightly under 4K rds plus daily dryfire. The spring was the new one (10067) that was supposed to be more durable. Replaced it in 5 min and continued dry firing. Looks like I should replace it every 3K.

Edited by cheby

30k rounds and a million dryfires and counting on my CGW one...

That's impressive. I tried two of them and they didn't work out much better than OEM springs.

Are you using the reduced power one? I may have to give them another try.