Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sellier and Bellot Primers?

kfin

Magtech and Sellier & Bellot are used by almost every competition shooter here in South Africa, because of the very high price of other brands. We have no problems with them. At the last purchase, our club members bought more than 150 000 S&B primers - with no issues

Sent by Jedi mind control

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone through 10K of various sizes of S&B & not one failure. SP, LP & LR.

CZ's all have 2# triggers

Tanfo is under 3#

No problems at all in 9mm 45 ACP

But all my primers are seated by hand.

Actually never had a problem with any brand, CCI, Win, Rem, FED (never used Match) & S&B.

I bought and used 1000 of these S&B primers from my local powder supplier. I had no problem with these in Glock 17 and 43, two different CZ 75 Shadow customs from CZC, or in a JP 9mm PCC. They also fed as well in my vibra prime as CCI and Federal primers.

Nevertheless, they bothered me. The reason is that they make a primer for all purposes. There are no pistol, magnum pistol, rifle and so forth, just small and large. Either that isn't reasonable or all of us have been scammed into believing a myth. I am told these various types of primers have different hardnesses and different levels of heat.

At least for now, I am going to use the historical types and assume a general primer isn't optimum for any use.

They did work for me though

Hmm... The store here has small pistol and small rifle? They are poorly labeled for sure. A buddy picked up a box of small rifle by mistake when he bought small pistol

Interesting! I went and looked at my box and you are correct. I missed that. Thanks

I just bought 14000 Fed Match so I don't need anything at this moment. Maybe the S&B pricing will bring down the prices of others.

Edited by Brooke

If you're in Metric land the 4,4 is for 4.4mm diameter primer pockets, if I remember correctly.

I use the hell out of them in my 1911, 2011, and striker fired guns. It's possible that a striker fired gun will not set them off, but that generally means your striker spring is weaker than stock, and you, like the revolver and CZ/Tanfo guys, are now in Federal primer land.

For the record, these are not appropriate for competition revolvers, either.

They work fine in my well tuned S&W revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're in Metric land the 4,4 is for 4.4mm diameter primer pockets, if I remember correctly.

I use the hell out of them in my 1911, 2011, and striker fired guns. It's possible that a striker fired gun will not set them off, but that generally means your striker spring is weaker than stock, and you, like the revolver and CZ/Tanfo guys, are now in Federal primer land.

Then they're not tuned enough :devil:

Then they're not tuned enough :devil:

Or perhaps they are tuned properly.

Bought 5k and was having problems with the first 1k till I noticed the plate on my Dillon where you slide the case onto the shell plate had come lose and the screw that had backed out was keeping my primers from seating all of the way. Once I fixed this the last 4k ran with no problems at all. If you seat them well they will work perfectly.

lol.. I just had a long discussion over on the cz sub about S&B's.

Had a firing pin issue; folks said they sucked or weren't seated deep enough. Fixed my FP and they all went boom in my match this weekend.

cz sp01 13# hammer spring.

I picked up a try-buy quantity a few months back. 2,000 small pistol. Ran them through stock Glocks, M&P 9/40 and a Stock PPQ doing practice drills. The Glocks and M&P ran fine but there were a couple light strikes from the PPQ. That didn't stop me from taking advantage of the Cabela's sale. I'll load up my practice and local club match ammo with these. I have enough confidence in them for that, sure. I'll aslo be doing what others are doing and saving my Federal and CCI for more important events.

If there is a LPS, practice is a great place for it. Slap!Rack!Bang!

Not a big fan of these, getting light strikes I'm running then in a Para and just put in a Dawson extended firing pin to see if that helps nope, 19# main spring. I'll run then in practice. Federal for matches.

S&B's are fine unless you have had trigger work done to a Glock. The lightened striker spring specifically. I use these and Wolf in everything but my Glocks. I can get Wolff LPP's for my 1911 at the gun shows here for about 20 / 1000.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought and used 1000 of these S&B primers from my local powder supplier. I had no problem with these in Glock 17 and 43, two different CZ 75 Shadow customs from CZC, or in a JP 9mm PCC. They also fed as well in my vibra prime as CCI and Federal primers.

Nevertheless, they bothered me. The reason is that they make a primer for all purposes. There are no pistol, magnum pistol, rifle and so forth, just small and large. Either that isn't reasonable or all of us have been scammed into believing a myth. I am told these various types of primers have different hardnesses and different levels of heat.

At least for now, I am going to use the historical types and assume a general primer isn't optimum for any use.

They did work for me though

Hmm... The store here has small pistol and small rifle? They are poorly labeled for sure. A buddy picked up a box of small rifle by mistake when he bought small pistol

Looks like they caught on - new package/colors for the small pistol primers ;)

I had a similar issue to someone above with the 650: the S&B primers don't load as smoothly. I had one that didn't seat deep enough and didn't fire the first time it was hit with the hammer. I checked this by sorting brass, loading again with S&B, and noticing how tough it is to seat the primer and how it's hard to feel when it has actually seated. I then used the same batch of brass and loaded some Federal which seated like butter. My elbow even started to hurt loading with S&B.

I had some boxes of S&B in my hand and was approaching the register when I decided to put them back and spend $12 more on Federal, and I'm kind of glad I did. Reloading is more enjoyable when the primers seat nicely.

What I've noticed about S&B primers is that the cup isn't as rounded as other primers so when I do my "chicken pick" routine filling up primer tubes, they are a bit less forgiving about going into the feed tip. Other than that, I don't notice any performance difference.