Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol powder for Open

EricG

I did on 38 Super. I based it on the article that superdude linked above. I'm waiting on my order for 38 SC brass to get in to use them. I still wanting to give CFE a try since I'm discovering that my grip for a open gun needs a bit of practice.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225242

Edited by MrRick

Great article thank you for sharing. I will try it as well thinking about starting at 7.1 and work up from there. I guess the burn rate is slow enough for the comp to do its work ?

Its comparable to WAC which is used a lot in 9MAJOR. It's probably not the BEST powder for 38 but still good.

what powder would you recommend that can be found ?

Powder Valley and other vendors have lots of good 38 super powders in stock.

If you already have CFE Pistol powder I say work up a load (with a chrono) and see how it works for you.

If you are new to reloading 38 super then search the forums and you will get a good idea of what others are using.

Personally, I keep some HS-6, VV N350, and AA#7 on hand for 38 super. Hands down the AA#7 is my favorite, but HS-6 works well and is easy to load as does N350 which is also the cleanest powder for 38 super I have used. Lots of folks consider AA#7 to be dirty, but that hasn't been an issue for me. If possible try a few 1 pounders of different powders before stocking up on a go-to powder.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I am getting a good deal on CFE right now but will look at getting some others to test. Every one rave about 3N38 but it's expensive and hard to find right now.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I am getting a good deal on CFE right now but will look at getting some others to test. Every one rave about 3N38 but it's expensive and hard to find right now.

It is pricy. I love it for 38 super. I load 10.2g under a 115g jhp. Works very well in my gun. Trubor comp, 3 holes at 90*. For 9mm hs-6 and 3n38 are identical to me as far as feel and dot tracking. https://youtu.be/nEXSpQ0Me2I

Slow motion.

• 2 weeks later...

7.0 CFE with a 124 MG, for 9mm

I hear it is soft hitting. After talking with Chris Hodgdon, he also confirmed that it is softer hitting than WAC, HS6, Win540.

I have some I just didn't get to try it yet.

Edited by bigboy69

Great article thank you for sharing. I will try it as well thinking about starting at 7.1 and work up from there. I guess the burn rate is slow enough for the comp to do its work ?

Its comparable to WAC which is used a lot in 9MAJOR. It's probably not the BEST powder for 38 but still good.

Found the same as Sarge. I'm using same setting on my powder measure and getting the same velocity, ES and SD. By no means I'm I saying its the same powder. Just getting same results with the same drop as Auto Comp.

38sc

Edited by jcc7x7

7.0 CFE with a 124 MG, for 9mm

I hear it is soft hitting. After talking with Chris Hodgdon, he also confirmed that it is softer hitting than WAC, HS6, Win540.

I have some I just didn't get to try it yet.

I'm doing HS-6 with 115s. I don't know if the bullet has anything to do with it, but I find HS-6 and CFE-P to feel about the same. What I like about HS-6 over CFE-P is that is cleaner.