Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning and drawing

Swanny10

Nimitz nailed it. Turn your head very aggressively and the rest of your body will follow. Don't put too much work into analyzing the footwork. Just get turned around as fast as possible and get your stable shooting platform. The more you try to come up with some "about face" fancy footwork, the more you will just wind up shooting in a weird position when you screw it up.

I always turn into my strong hand, that way the gun stays put as previously mentioned.

If your in a shooting box make sure you leave yourself room to pivot and place your weak side foot in the box.

Stepping outside makes for Procedurals.

Nimitz nailed it. Turn your head very aggressively and the rest of your body will follow. Don't put too much work into analyzing the footwork. Just get turned around as fast as possible and get your stable shooting platform. The more you try to come up with some "about face" fancy footwork, the more you will just wind up shooting in a weird position when you screw it up.

Big Roger That. AllI I ever accomplished fooling around with my feet was to end up tangled up and off balance. Turning my head and getting my eyes one the target lets everything else follow naturally

Does the person do something unsafe or not? Feelings are irrelevant.

Go to a major match and see how many people clear the trigger guard before they hit that 180 on a turn and draw stage. I promise you that the majority of folks do.

Back to the topic, turn into the gun. less movement and you can get on the gun faster.

Last I checked most of us wear our guns just about 90° to our centerline, therefore no matter what easy we turn we have to turn the same amount to not break the 180. The guys that run their guns more on the appendix area actually have to turn less going away from the gun.

What I think everyone is actually saying is turn into the gun so your body will block the ROs view making it hard to call drawing to early. Probably works great at locals but major matches will have a RO on the other side as well so if it's a problem for you they will find it at the worst time.

All that said if I am engaging a target directly down range I turn on the gun it's just smoother for me especially with a surrender start. If I am engaging a target somewhat to the side of the start position I turn whatever way is shorter

I hadn't thought about hiding it either. I know that one night I was practicing dry fire the turn and was doing it to my weak side. next day was actually a match that had a turn and draw, my buddy that's helped me along the most told me right away that he thought I'd be faster going around the other way. I broke it down playing with it and that's the direction I go now, strong side, here was why I decided that.

I"m a big guy, admittedly fat, I feel momentum is on my side where my hands/arms are concerned, instead of me spinning and bring my hand forward to get on my gun and draw it I am spinning and it's coming back towards the gun. (at least in my mind that is how I figure it).

I usually shoot the targets left to right, so I find my feet end up in a better place for me to start the shooting. I don't have to make it a full 180 degrees around, if I at least get most of the way around I can be shooting and still make a half step adjustment to keep going.

granted I'm not that good, but I found I like it better, and psychologically I feel better about it which might matter just as much. :)

Red

I usually turn into the gun but still occasionally practice turning the other way. I've run into the occasional stage where it just works better that way, easier target that way or having to move that direction. Being a lefty that probably happens to me more often than to right handed people but it can't hurt to have the skill in case you ever need it.

• 3 weeks later...

try it both ways (with an unloaded gun) and see how much longer you have to wait turning to your left in order to avoid breaking the 180 ...

I had to DQ a guy for this a couple of months ago. Not fun.