Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VihtaVuori 38 super open loads

Arturo

I am switching from 9 major to 38 supercomp. I am a big fan of VihtaVuori powders. I will be using 124 grain Montana Gold JHP. I am looking for VV loads that produce tons of comp running gas.

What's your barrel/comp set-up? With a four port hybrid, I run 10.2 VV 3N38 with a 124 MG. Start at 9 grains and work up. You'll get plenty of gas with a major 3N38 load.

Hahaha. Thanks Kwontanamo. I am actually fairly new to open. I started out with 9 but quickly saw the advantage of a bigger case of 38 for more powder to run the comp. My 9 major open is good and accurate, but a little flippy. Not terrible, but the flattest shooting open guns I have seen are all 38 super.

I am actually building/having built a 4.5" gun using a KKM barrel and a Lone Star Innovations comp. 4 popples. Should be close to a Brazos Pro SX. LSI comp is really good.

N105 is good/gassy for that set-up, but its pricey. 3N38 works good too, but throws an occasional fireball from barrel holes that aren't actual hybrids. Seems to bother some people.

I don't know man, that fireball thing sounds kinda fun! LOL!! Thanks for all the input guys. The 3N37 has me intrigued. I want to try it.

I think I am going to start with the N105. We will see how she runs. Probably 9.8 and work up.

Edited by Arturo

• 1 month later...

All with a 124gr CMJ.

5" Tanfoglio Custom, no holes, 4-port comp

9.5gr 3N38 @ 1.260" for 174 PF

4.5" Tanfoglio Gold Team, 12 holes, 2-port comp

10.2gr 3N38 @ 1.250" for 170 PF

10.7gr N105 @ 1.250" for 170 PF

I was running 3N38 for quite a while until recently - I decided to start looking at other powders when it got hard to get last year, and have just switched this year. It's a great powder, but like all VV, it can be pricey and isn't as easily available as certain others.