Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Revolver For Ipsc

AzShooter

IPSC sure has changed it revolver formats over the years. We used to be able to shoot whatever we brought, scope, bull barrells, comps, but at least they were all 6 shooters.

Today there are a lot of people shooting 8 shot guns and they are more than welcome to use them in IPSC providing they reload after 6 rounds. I like this idea because it keeps the playing field somewhat even.

Now, you are never going to please everyone because the guy with the 8 shot will say he has two more in there so he can make up shots but my feeling is at least you will always be learning to reload. ( From the times I've read on hear on revolver reloads it seems like a lot of people have been practicing}

So, If you had your choice, what revolver would you use, a trusted 625 or derivative with .45 for major, a .38 and push it or just shoot minor, a .38 super?

I know for now there is no division for unlimited revolvers but perhaps in the future if there is more participation this too could happen.

The best gun, IMHO, for revolver division is a Smith 25-2 or 625. They are marginally better on reloads than a 610 or 646 and make major easily. The new rules allow your 8 shot 627 in Production division. Some of use masochists use our open 627s and shoot "Open Minor" and still have fun. It depends upon your goals.

Definetly .45 in major,

Its the fastest for reloading, and shooting major is not an issue (for me anyway).

Actually, i prefer the 625 to the 627 overall. The 625 is not as tight and is more foregiving if moonclips are a little bent ( thats the 627x.38spc). The .38 super might different being auto brass.

Simply, just give me an N frame moonclipped revo of any caliber, a match, RO, timer, and i'm all smiles.

Dan, "A" class revo ( got my A card last week) , yep, all SMILES.

Hey Dan, I was just checking the point series standings the other day, and saw that you had hit A class in Revo. Good job! I look forward to shooting with you at the Iowa sectional in May. I emailed Chad and I'm pretty sure he'll be able to put us on the same squad.

Mike

Its the fastest for reloading, and shooting major is not an issue (for me anyway).

Actually, i prefer the 625 to the 627 overall. The 625 is not as tight and is more foregiving if moonclips are a little bent ( thats the 627x.38spc). The .38 super might different being auto brass.

Simply, just give me an N frame moonclipped revo of any caliber, a match, RO, timer, and i'm all smiles.

Dan, "A" class revo ( got my A card last week) , yep, all SMILES.

Dammit...'A' class, I've been hopping to sneak up on you in B, but now you're outta reach....oh well, good job anyway...

625 for me...nothing better for me...although someday I'll probably be stupid enough to bring the 627x8 and try to shoot in open....

michael sousa

AZshooter,

I started this game with an Autoloader, after 3 years of it I swapped to a revo.

The gun I orignally started with is a Ruger GP-100 and shot it mostly in IDPA, but did a few USPSA, did ok and with practice with the gun could most likely do fair with it too.

The first Revo I got really got into shooting was a Smith 610 4" and I used it for both IDPA and USPSA and shot major loads in it all the time it did not matter what "SPORT"

Shot that gun for about 9 months and then aquired a 625 that I am using now and I would venture to say that either gun does fine as it is the guy behind the sights that makes the difference.

Matter of fact here is one example:

last year at Area - 3 I shot 69 % of Jerry M with the 610 shooting Major

Last year a Nationals 2 Months after Area -3 I shot 70% of Jerry M shooting the 625 and making Major.

2 different guns, basicly the same results.

The 625 seems just a little more forgiving on reloads though as when you screw one up with the 610 you usually end up getting a new moonclip instead of just jiggling it around on the gun and then going in like with a 625.

I would like to try a 25-2 for a while and see if the lighter (no underlug) barrelled gun makes any difference but in all seriousness I think it would be minimal at that.

But man are they (25-2) good looking guns. :wub:

Revos, Like Autoloaders are mostly all the same, practice with the gun and getting to know it is the trick.

Now Major vs. Minor....

Unless you don't like or can handle the recoil of a major load, or you are extremly accurate and don't shoot many C or D shots shoot major as the points given up are not worth it.

When I shot the Missouri Fall Classic last year someone asked me if I was shooting Major or Minor and this is my answer..." Major, I shoot too many C's to shoot Minor "

Hope that helps, answers a question...

Sam Keen / Hopalong

And Congrats to Dan "A" class Carden..... He's not too far Micheal, just keep working you'll get there. ;)

DCarden, my new 610 4" was capable of one hole when I sighted it in, and I dropped few points at the last ICORE match using my 168 power factor loads, so I think the accuracy is good from my limited experience.

Dan,

It shoots better than I do !!!!

seriously, I got sub 4" groups with 10MM and a 1.5x5 X Burris off Sandbags at 100yds.

the one that has really surprised me is the 657 6 inch 41mag (stock gun) it keeps them inside a skoal can at 100yds (factory 210 grn Federals) :blink:

SAM

FOM, HOP,

Just what i wanted to here!!

I'v got an adapter for my CR speed to do 4" revos, think I'll start this month.

I finished my action-job recently. It's time to TURN-IT-LOSE (GRRRRAWWWWLLL).

Dan

Hopalong, I had a 686 one time that would shoot one hole at 25 yards with light .38 wadcutters, then shoot 180 Federal Hunters at 100 yards inside of a sheet of notebook paper. This was stock too and with the the irons. I never should have parted with it. I know everyone has one of those stories, but since you shared, I thought I would too.

Sam,

I,m looking to try my 610  4" if I can find a round nose 180 grn somewhere.

Hows the accuracy with the 4" barrel.

Dan

Dan,

Been looking for the same thing for my 610, just found out last night Berry's has a 180gr RN (not RNFP or RS). Going to order a 1000 to give them a try.

Check out the link: http://www.berrysmfg.com/categories/14-0.php

I've found the accuracy good from the 4" barrel.

Hey Dan, I was just checking the point series standings the other day, and saw that you had hit A class in Revo.  Good job!  I look forward to shooting with you at the Iowa sectional in May.  I emailed Chad and I'm pretty sure he'll be able to put us on the same squad. 

Mike

Car, I am living in Okla now but am from the OOPS area (Winterset) originally. I am planning on shooting the Iowa match also, talked to Chad last week about how many revolver shooters were entered and was told 2 or 3. Just got a C card with the revo and would like to shoot revo divivsion but would like to see a few more shooters in the match before I commit, otherwise will shoot another gun, keep me posted if you hear about other shooters coming on board. This will be a good match, good people, slightly twisted!! I have enjoyed shooting with them over the years,

Hey Dan, I was just checking the point series standings the other day, and saw that you had hit A class in Revo.  Good job!  I look forward to shooting with you at the Iowa sectional in May.  I emailed Chad and I'm pretty sure he'll be able to put us on the same squad. 

Mike

Car, I am living in Okla now but am from the OOPS area (Winterset) originally. I am planning on shooting the Iowa match also, talked to Chad last week about how many revolver shooters were entered and was told 2 or 3. Just got a C card with the revo and would like to shoot revo divivsion but would like to see a few more shooters in the match before I commit, otherwise will shoot another gun, keep me posted if you hear about other shooters coming on board. This will be a good match, good people, slightly twisted!! I have enjoyed shooting with them over the years,

Sorry for the drift,, 625 or 610 major of course

Sam,

I,m looking to try my 610  4" if I can find a round nose 180 grn somewhere.

Hows the accuracy with the 4" barrel.

Dan

Hey Dan

Rudy Warren of "Billy Bullets" makes a true round nose 180gr Moly coated lead bullet that was made specifically for revolver shooters These are the same bullet brand that Vic Pickett, and myself use, here's his number

1-480-695-8100

his shop is in Mesa, Arizona

Gil, I know that D.Carden and I are signed up to shoot Revo at Osceola. I know from a previous thread that COF, pskys2, and Tom Mainus are hoping to be there as well. I'm fairly certain we'll see Badshot there with his 625, and I can think of two other Osceola local regulars who shoot mostly revolver and have recently upgraded to moonguns.

So I'm guessing we'll have no fewer than 5, and possibly 8-10 wheelgunners at the match. I'm certain it will not be real "revolver-friendly," but most of us who shoot USPSA with wheelguns enjoy the challenge of managing high-rount-count stages and so forth. It will be a fun one!

I've learned that classes don't matter too much in Revo--we generally shoot heads-up against everyone in the division who shows up, right? We're going to have every class from A to D (unless D.Carden hits Master by then!) represented at this match, with the majority being Bs and Cs. (I'm a B.) We have one bona fide Revo Master in Iowa, but from what I can tell, he's big into sporting clays these days, so I don't expect him to be there.

So check the Revo box on your entry form, Gil! It would be great to have you shoot a roundgun with us!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
IPSC sure has changed it revolver formats over the years.  We used to be able to shoot whatever we brought, scope, bull barrells, comps, but at least they were all 6 shooters.

Today there are a lot of people shooting 8 shot guns and they are more than welcome to use them in IPSC providing they reload after 6 rounds.  I like this idea because it keeps the playing field somewhat even.   

Now, you are never going to please everyone because the guy with the 8 shot will say he has two more in there so he can make up shots but my feeling is at least you will always be learning to reload.  ( From the times I've read on hear on revolver reloads it seems like a lot of people have been practicing}

So, If you had your choice, what revolver would you use, a trusted 625 or derivative with .45 for major, a .38 and push it or just shoot minor, a .38 super?

I know for now there is no division for unlimited revolvers but perhaps in the future if there is more participation this too could happen.

By far the 5" 625 for USPSA or ICORE...easy to make PF, less felt recoil with the weight and much faster reloads. If you do not agree, that's fine but argue with Jerry Miculek :lol:

I like both the 610 & the 625. With the 610 I have (61/2") there is quite a bit of weight advantage so recoil is reduced & recovery is quicker, also the longer sight radius of the 6 1/2" barrel helps. I've said before, a 4" 610 weighs more than a 5" 45. The draw back is I have to be more careful with the 610 on reloads, its easier to "miss" a reload with it. I shoot a 160 gr. cast RN that I make in a Ballisticast mould & it recoils very soft. Made A class using this gun.

Using my 5" 625 its extremely rare to miss a reload, my good one's run 1.7-1.8 and they are pretty consistent, with the 610 they run closer to 2.0. The trade off between the 2 guns is: more speed with the 625 reloads & greater accuracy & recovery time with the 610.

One last item is sight adjustments. With my 625 I am bottomed all the way out & still shooting high with my 225 gr. cast RN bullets. My son will have to mill the rear sight base down .020" or so to get zeroed, either that or go to a 200 gr. RN. So, I say shoot which ever you happen to have & enjoy the wonderful world of revolvers.

DICK A48544