Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Kaboom Or Why 550 Owners Should

Nik Habicht

One of our shooters had a minor accident on Sunday. Speculation was a double charge. Powder of choice was Tite-Group, Press was a Dillon 550......

Everybody pay attention when you're crankin' out the ammo. The shooter wasn't hurt --- didn't complain of more than an unusually heavy hit to the hit when he pulled the trigger. RO caught a bit of brass, but nothing too serious.....

post-1460-1112215715_thumb.jpg

post-1460-1112215753_thumb.jpg

post-1460-1112215780_thumb.jpg

post-1460-1112215793_thumb.jpg

post-1460-1112215809_thumb.jpg

Serial # has been obliterated to protect the shooter.....

nice to see glock now offers a hinged hood to make inspection & cleaning of the chamber easier. luckily nobody was seriously hurt. a couple years ago a local guy blew off part of his trigger finger when his glock did it's best imitation of a grenade, happened at a bullseye range not an ipsc match.

The damage is so significant that I agree completely - that looks like a double charge. I often see mere case head seperations balmed on double charges because shooters discount/do not understand the phenomenon of bullet set back. I am pleased that you posted photographs to illustrate the difference.

Every time I see this, a 650 looks cheaper and cheaper.

Eric,

Get one! Case fed Progressives --- which have their own idiosyncracies to watch out for rock. One of the things that convinced me to start on a SDB was the auto indexing ---- because I'm the guy who will forget to advance the shellplate. Early on, I forgot to seat a number of bullets --- which fortunately only meant a mess in the finished cartridge bin.....

The damage is so significant that I agree completely -  that looks like a double charge.  I often see mere case head seperations balmed on double charges because shooters discount/do not understand the phenomenon of bullet set back. I am pleased that you posted photographs to illustrate the difference.

BTW --- that's a KKM barrel --- so it's not like the case wasn't supported. We were quite impressed that the shooter didn't sustain damage. I was awed that the barrel split with enough force to peel back the top of the slide from the ejection port.....

The real question is "what damage should a gun and a shooter sustain if a double charge goes off?"

In general, steel framed 1911's tend to survive this sort of thing with minimal damage. The one exception I've seen was a former boss^3's Les Baer which had the frame crack in 6 places - the mainspring housing actually fell out with the retaining pin still in place. Les graciously offered a $50 discount offer full purchase price of a new gun, and told the owner that he was lucky it was such a high quality gun as this kind of frame crack is to be expected if you have a double charge in a steel framed 1911.

Powdercheck system!!!

It doesn't tell me if I have the exact amount of powder but it will beep at me if there's no powder or if there's a double charge.

I sleep better at night knowing I have one. Now if I could only shoot better in the daytime.

Tom,

what did the gun look like? Unless it was damaged extensively --- I'd consider it a case rupture due to either non-support/slightly out of battery or bullet setback.......

The double charge above --- split the barrel, peeled up the top of the slide, cracked the frame on the left around one of the pinholes and probably did in some of the internals...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll state it here, too - I've loaded on both a 550 and a 650. There are ways to make a 650 throw a double charge, too, if you're not paying attention to what you're doing (usually while adjusting the press..., but I've almost managed others....). You should develop a routine with either press, and stick to it, and *PAY ATTENTION* - period. I'll grant that its a little harder to get into this particular trouble on a 650, though.

This highlights the need to monitor your charges in a 550, though - there are apparently various ways. I like the "mirror mounted on the press" idea, though haven't tried it, as yet.

Plenty of folks have loaded lots and lots of ammo on a 550 and have never had a problem. Neither piece of equipment can account for the nut driving it completely....

I've done most of my reloading on two Square Deal presses [total cost for both = less than $300]. Something like 500k to 800k rounds, best guess.

In addition to liking the short throw and the way I can squeeze the primers in with my fingertips around the primer column, I like that I can't double-charge, at least not with any mistake I've tried to make so far.

In the early days I made QUITE A FEW dummy rounds that trickled powder under the shell plate, and quite a few times I showered the loaded ammo tray with powder from a case with no bullet. The Navy vocabulary came in handy for that. But I never had a bad round cost me much in a match. Maybe a couple with the OAL too long and a slap on the back of the slide.

I made 10s of 1000s of rounds of 10mm with less than 5 grains of powder. Now I wonder what might have happened :ph34r: if I'd done all that loading on a 550. They might want to discount the cost of the powder-check for that press.

<possible thread drift>

Powder check on a 550 is kind of tough. You have to take up a station with it. The 550 only has 4 stations - so you have to "settle" for a combo seat/crimp die, which is the "wrong" way to do it.

I had it for my 650 - which is designed for using a powder check - but ended up not using it for .38 Super major stuff I was loading. A double charge with that compressed N350 load would be, well, pretty obvious :) I visually checked the case to insure I didn't have a squib before putting a bullet on top of it...

It's not the re-loader it's the re-loader input module that is at fault. Nothing wrong with a 550, been loading on one since 1988. I have cranked out hundreds of thousands of rounds and not one single squib, or double charge in that entire time. I haven't even had an upside down primer yet either.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about a 550. IMO, if the loadee chooses a powder and charge weight that allows more than one dose to fit in a case, she is setting herself up for this result no matter what press is used. No mechanical system is 100% and there is no reason to badmouth a specific piece of gear because of one persons carelessness.

Put in good lighting over the press and always eyeball the charge before rotating the shellplate. Always choose a powder/charge volume combo that fills the case more than halfway and this will never happen to you.

A 650 is not the answer, being smart and careful is.

--

Regards,