Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 mags in 40sw 1911

doc88

I like the 45acp 7 rounders from Springfield.I have used them in 40S&W 1911s for years. They will hold only 8 rounds of 40 and easy to reload.Plus you can find them on sale for 10 or 12 bucks ea.

They work fine for me you might give A couple a try

Good luck

I had first round in mag flip straight up on a couple of reload that were not quite perfect. Ditching it for another mag in single stack can be bad for your hit factor !!!!

Go 10 mm mags and have not looked back

I had first round in mag flip straight up on a couple of reload that were not quite perfect. Ditching it for another mag in single stack can be bad for your hit factor !!!!

Go 10 mm mags and have not looked back

No Bueno ! 10mm mags it is.

Thanks.

Hello: I use Wilson 47D's and Metalform Elite mags with metal round top follower. I like the Metalforms a little more for 40 but I also load to 1.180" OAL. You can find the Metalform Elites on E-bay for about $24 each. I am going to add some more Dawson base pads to use with my Dawson Ice magwells. Thanks, Eric

Wilson 47Ds, ETMs, CMCs, etc.... All work fine and flawless.

If you must have the mags with the dimple line down the length then go for the 10mm not the 40. Leaves room for versatility. Don't skimp on mags. Get good ones whether its 40, 10mm or 45. You won't be sorry. JMHO

Edited after reading OP's other thread

In a pinch I modified a .45 mag to work in my 9mm for a monster match. I had to bend the feed lips and touch them up with a grind and polish, adjust the angle of the follower, and re-contour the top and bottom of the follower to fit the new contours and work cleanly with the slide release. My gun ran without the spacer behind the 9mm cartridge, but the rounds seemed to jump into the chamber and not really use the feed ramp.

I didn't get a chance to test this before using it in a match. I used the modified mag in 4 out 5 stages with zero failures. Despite that, I only keep it for a backup and would not use it for anything of high importance.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I've been using Wilson 47D's forever in my 40's. They work fine in my guns as long are you keep the tubes trued up. The hold 9, and reload with 8 fine. ETM's would probably work too, but you don't need the extra tube length to reload a 40 reliably like you do with a 45. Nowadays reliable dedicated 40 mags are available, especially from Tripp. I just have so many of the Wilsons it doesn't make sense for me to change. Just an FYI