Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder to replace Clays?

BLT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boys i just heard last week that Clays is coming back....seems that they did shut down manufacturing in Australia but they are moving the equipment from to Canada and restart the line back there in Canada when they get it all moved...tis come from powder supplier

missed out on the clays. im in the early stages of working up a load with wsf, still too early to tell, but it feels good.

Wsf is pretty good, i had developed a load using 200gr bayous. I will go back to it when i am done with my n320 and ramshot competition

In a few days I'll better know how 700X is in .40. The few I loaded were nice.

4.2 gr pushing a 180 gr Bayou TCG equaled 167.5 PF in my new Trojan. I used 2.8 gr with the same bullet and got 129 PF.

OAL is 1.15. I may shorten that to 1.12.

In a few days I'll better know how 700X is in .40. The few I loaded were nice.

4.2 gr pushing a 180 gr Bayou TCG equaled 167.5 PF in my new Trojan. I used 2.8 gr with the same bullet and got 129 PF.

OAL is 1.15. I may shorten that to 1.12.

Curious to here your thought's. I use a similar load only with 4.3 700x 1.135 with xtreme 180's plated FP. Started at 1.125, settled on 1.135 for feeding in my Trojan. No issue's with feeding in my M&P. No chrono data....Accurate load in both pistols

• 2 weeks later...

If you get a chance, try some Solo 1000. I haven't tried it in 40--but in 45 I honestly believe it's just a touch softer than Clays.

My favorite powder for pistol. I sue it in 9mm, 38 spl, 40 s&w, 45 acp,and 45 colt. Clean, accurate, and very consistent. That said, good luck finding some. I'm down to my last 8 pounder and having no luck finding it.

I think that Solo1k is almost extinct - I have one 12 oz bottle left as a memento. ;)

I've switched to American Select - very close to S1K in burn rate and feel, American Made, meters better, clean, accurate, a little cheaper, and I actually like it better overall.

So, if you are jonsing for Solo1K might want to try a pound of American Select.

I think that Solo1k is almost extinct - I have one 12 oz bottle left as a memento. ;)

I've switched to American Select - very close to S1K in burn rate and feel, American Made, meters better, clean, accurate, a little cheaper, and I actually like it better overall.

So, if you are jonsing for Solo1K might want to try a pound of American Select.

Yes I'm jonsing for Solo. Did you happen to chrono any of your loads? Any recipes ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do, but I developed American Select loads using these old Alliant freebie manuals as a guide. I don't load .40 and use it in 9mm and .45 gamer loads.

Check out the different years manuals looking for the caliber and bullet weight you are interested in and go from there. The data for American Select Starts in the 1996 manual.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant.html

This is a great resource - so kudos to whoever owns that site

(BTW - I am on a Nobel Vectan GM3 kick now and think it also is a good replacement for solo1K and is worth a look if you are exploring different powders for gamer loads)

I do, but I developed American Select loads using these old Alliant freebie manuals as a guide. I don't load .40 and use it in 9mm and .45 gamer loads.

Check out the different years manuals looking for the caliber and bullet weight you are interested in and go from there. The data for American Select Starts in the 1996 manual.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant.html

This is a great resource - so kudos to whoever owns that site

(BTW - I am on a Nobel Vectan GM3 kick now and think it also is a good replacement for solo1K and is worth a look if you are exploring different powders for gamer loads)

My interest would be 9 for steel. Looking for a 125 PF . I'm playing with Clays but it's pretty finicky for minor loads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To give you an idea, for a 9mm 125gr Lead RN loads out of my 1911 9mm here is what I have been using:

9mm Lead RN (not coated, so if you use coated bullets the velocities may be a bit higher)

American Select @ 3.8gr = approx. 128 pf

American Select @ 4.0gr = approx 131 pf (this is my 125 grain go-to load with AS)

OAL = 1.120" / Tula or Winchester SPP

American Select is much more forgiving than Clays/ClayDot. I use clay dot in .38 short colts for 160 grain revolver loads and it gets spiky quick if you push the velocities (which is not recommended), but dang is it soft shooting at our gamer load velocities. In 38 short colts with American Select I've pushed 160 gr bullets to 145 pf without getting any primer flattening or sticky cases. With the same bullet at the same power factor of about 128-130ish I don't think I could really tell a difference between AS and Clay Dot during a match with the timer going, but on the bench it seems that Clay Dot does have a slight edge as far as felt recoil. Also, AS leaves a slight gray soot on the frame and cylinder that is easily wiped off, but clays is super clean and hardly leaves anything to wipe off.

Edited by Bamboo