Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pimping an SP-01 for 3-gun

jrswanson1

I picked up an SP-01 earlier this year, intending to get back into 3-gun. What mods would help out with this endeavor? Mine is currently stock. I'll be shooting in Tac Optics and I may be using it for Steel Challenge. I have a Limited Major pistol for USPSA, so I'm not going to be using the CZ for that. So aside from changing the sights, what else is recommended? Thanks.

CZ Custom competition hammer, SRS-2 spring/lifter kit + CGW disconnector, floating trigger pin + reduced power trigger spring. You can throw in the CGW sear if you want to, but that's basically the action upgrades to enhance the trigger.

Really, besides the trigger pull, whatever sights you want and some extended bases for your magazines. You may or may not want to add the magwell. I ran the Mec-Gar 19rd magazines for quite a few years, however to do it again I would be using the newer extended pads.

Nice. Would any of you recommend making it single-action only? I have big palms and short fingers. I like the CZs as I have no problems reaching the controls, unlike on my P16-40. And if the trigger were closer, it would probably help with my trigger control.

Cajun has a short reach trigger kit. You could go SAO but would want bigger safeties

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

Trigger job including a short reset trigger. You may or may not like the curved trigger. If not switch to SAO. Keep a 13lb main spring in it. You won't be using the DA (assuming you don't go SAO) and the 13 will light off whatever primers you toss at it. Get the extended mags which will give you 23 +1. Sights and grips to your preference and you are good to go. Maybe different safeties if you are picky like me.

I ran mine a few times this year in 3 gun. One problem was with the RO when I did a hammer down start, safety off. He said I had to apply the safety. (IDPA shooter) Of course my safety does not engage when hammer down so I put it on half cock and started that way. I suppose I should have just started cocked and locked. I like the added safety margin if the gun fell out. Several others fell out in that particular match.

Thanks, gents. I'll be making some changes over the winter. And 11287, that's basically what I'm looking to do to mine. Which safety is that?

Its this one from CZC. http://czcustom.com/cz75extendedambisafetylhs.aspx

Thanks. Looks like there's a wait on that part.

I ran mine a few times this year in 3 gun. One problem was with the RO when I did a hammer down start, safety off. He said I had to apply the safety. (IDPA shooter) Of course my safety does not engage when hammer down so I put it on half cock and started that way. I suppose I should have just started cocked and locked. I like the added safety margin if the gun fell out. Several others fell out in that particular match.

Shouldn't be a problem unless the FPB is removed.

Edited by jrswanson1

On the pistol starts. I know it varies from place to place for how you start the pistol. Most, if not all, of the places where I go to run it thus: if you are starting with the pistol, mag in, chambered, safety engaged (if equipped). If you are going to be using the pistol later in the stage, mag inserted, nothing chambered, safety or decock.

That being said, I have pretty much gone the route that I decock it and start DA. Reason for me is that I also do shoot Production USPSA, and that is how I start there. DA start is not a problem for me, and the more I try and change things, the more I mess up. I did shoot at a match last year that I have not been to, and they let you chamber. Yep, every time I would draw to use the pistol (later in a stage), I would rack that round out. After 2 stages of doing that, I stopped chambering a round.. :D

Imi makes one as well as bladetech. With the bladetech the safety must be engaged to have the gun seat into the holster properly. Then there's the issue of the retention strap not fitting properly when cocked and locked. No such issues with the imi version.

Edited by Aceyduce

A bladetech WRS retention holster can be modded to work with a CZ cocked and locked as well as hammer down/safety engaged:

18902589860_ceba4fc52f_h.jpg

the holster can also be modded to work with a Safariland QLS fork if you're a gun swapper and like to use a different pistol for every match.

Imi makes one as well as bladetech. With the bladetech the safety must be engaged to have the gun seat into the holster properly. Then there's the issue of the retention strap not fitting properly when cocked and locked. No such issues with the imi version.

Is there a retention holster for spo1s?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220139#entry2453757

I haven't shot a match with mine, but I'm very happy with the retention and the draw.

Oops, several holsters were mentioned in the thread. Mine is the one talked about in the original post.

Edited by JKW

I am currently using a Double Alpha PDR suede lined holster. Friction from the suede lining keeps the pistol in the holster, even when running. I may switch to a non-lined version as I need to us my thumb to push the pistol out of the holster and it adds to my draw time. Not that I'm super competetive.