Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 Pro or 627 PC?

jsg

I am wanting to get an 8 shot minor for USPSA (and some Steel). I will still shoot the 625 PC in IDPA but it is just not cutting it in USPSA now.

I load tons of 9mm but see too many issues with the 929 and don't want to make a special load just for that gun. That leads me to think the 627 is what I should get. Now the issue becomes, do I want the extra inch of barrel? Is there any other reason to go for the PC? I am assuming the action will not be acceptable on either out of the box (7 to 8 pounds would be OK for now)?

Bottom line... is the PC worth the extra $310?

For what my opinion is worth I would buy the pro and put the money saved into a good action job(do it yourself) a custom barrel to your likings and length and last but not least Hearthco moon clips.

I currently shoot 5" barrels in USPSA and 6.5" barrels in ICORE. I truly think the 5" swings better and stops better. I won't go into bashing the 929 as some have found it to work well for them but it will only shoot 9mm and if you are set up for only 9mm then it is probably the way to go. With the 627 you have the versatility of 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38 Special and if you deer hunt 357 Magnum. Almost like 4 guns in one.

Just a humble revolver shooters opinion.

The initial cost of the gun is really nothing in comparison to what we spend to play and shoot them. Get the best tool that you can afford. Look at what everyone winning matches are shooting. I'm not saying that in the right hands a 4" gun can't win but if you look to see what the winners prefer you won't find many 4" guns. My old eyes prefer the longer sight radius and the balance of the longer barreled guns. If you have anyone in your clubs that has a gun for you to try, just ask, I don't know of any Revo shooters that would not be glad to let you try their gun out. :cheers:

I have a 627 pro and I like it a lot. It seems like there are a lot of 929s being sold near here.

They are doing pretty good with them.

I don't have any 9mms to share ammo with, but I have a lot of 38 and 357 magnums.

I had one of the early 625 model of 1988. 5 inch barrel. It was a lot heavier than the pro.

The pro just a little heavier than my model 66

I vote for the pro. Put on a fiber optic front sight and shoot fast with it.

Edited by Para super

I have a 5" 627 ... but earlier this month (at our monthly ICORE match) I was on a squad with a fellow shooting a 929. I noticed it and asked him about his loads and he told me he was shooting 38 short colts just like I was. :o

This is all he shoots in his 929 (160s at 1.16). He said they reloaded just fine ... and he preferred using short colts because the rim made it easier to grab and hold on to than the 9mm.

I am pretty sure I have seen some others here mention the same thing (that the short colts reload just fine w/o any special attention).

This kinda lit my fuse because "now" I was sorry I didn't jump on that 6.5 inch barrel and ti cylinder ... (or course ... a backup gun is never a bad idea ...)

I've had all three and would go with the 627. Does everything and .38s can be loaded very easily.

The 929 needs lots of work to dress up and get it ready for competition. Mine came with an 11 lb trigger but was easy enough to work it down to 6 lbs with an APEX hammer new springs and some stoning. Moon clips are another thing. Buy the best and hope for the best.

I've had trouble with brass sticking in the moons.

The PC will make PF a bit easier, usually but not always as my 5" 38's chrono higher than the same load from a 6" M28.

If you're serious for USPSA & Steel I'd go with the PC the extra inch helps just a bit. IDPA?

The PC will make PF a bit easier, usually but not always as my 5" 38's chrono higher than the same load from a 6" M28.

If you're serious for USPSA & Steel I'd go with the PC the extra inch helps just a bit. IDPA?

Neither can be used in IDPA. 6 round max for Rev. You can use it with 6 loaded but who wants to fool with that? IDPA is why the 625 PC still has a job.

EDIT: Also a 4" limit on Rev barrel in IDPA.

Edited by jsg

The 627 pro can actually be used in IDPA because of the barrel length.

I have yet to try it, but if you can index it quick enough it may be viable

Since in IDPA you could only load 6 cartridges and be forced to index the cylinder every time plus you would have to run 155 power factor due to the moon clips, I guarantee the 105 power factor speedloader guns would leave you in the dust. :cheers:

Since in IDPA you could only load 6 cartridges and be forced to index the cylinder every time plus you would have to run 155 power factor due to the moon clips, I guarantee the 105 power factor speedloader guns would leave you in the dust. :cheers:

Just curious, don't shoot IDPA, how is the "reload with retention" or "reload when empty" work out with an 8 shot gun in a 6 shot restriction?

Just curious, don't shoot IDPA, how is the "reload with retention" or "reload when empty" work out with an 8 shot gun in a 6 shot restriction?
You only ever put 6 rounds in the gun, so an empty reload is dumped on the ground like the autos, a reload with retention means you have to put any live ones in your pocket.

Try as I may those speedloaders never reload as fast as moons. At 155 PF I was running 255gr bullets walking out the barrel this year, they aren't much stouter than a 180gr at 105.

105 power factor seems a bit too close to cowboy action shooting for me.....

My 625 is no longer "IDPA legal" so I'm shooting a BUG revolver next year where PF is only 95. If I can get better with speed loaders I will likely out run most of the auto guys. The gun has so little recoil that when I do a Bill Drill it feels like I'm waiting on the trigger to cycle.

Does the 627 PC come already cut for moon clips? I just spoke with a S&W customer service rep and he said no, but would have to check to make sure!

...errr... Yes, they are already cut for moonclips.

Edited by alecmc

Thank you for clarifying. I just placed an order for one and wanted to make sure as I am ordering all the addition parts needed for my revolver smith to get it tuned up and really didn't want to spend the money to have it cut for moon clips.

I've had all three and would go with the 627. Snip...

Pc or Pro?

Smith and Wesson currently offers 3 different 627's

1) 4" slab barrel 627-5 Pro model ($800-900 everywhere)

2) 5" slab barrel 627-5 Performance Center ( $1000-$1200 hit and miss but available)

3) 5" V-shape barrel 627-5 Performance Center V-comp. (Mostly Gunbroker only these days $1500-1800 and up)

I own a PRO and other out of production PC-ish 627's

Get the PC, The 627-5 pro is 4" and the 627-5 PC is 5" With the 627-5 PC you get more forged internal parts, ball lockup on the crane and ejector rod center pin removed. This offers less rod wobble drag in your trigger pull.

The out of the box trigger is very similar as far as pull weight, the huge advantage to getting the 627-5 PC is the extra inch long barrel.

The 627-5 PC would be the easiest for you to slick up yourself and be race ready in no time. With iron sights, sight radius is king. The longer the sight radius the sloppier on the sights you can be and still get hits.

Edited by Ty Hamby