Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overwhelmed with dot mount options.... reg,90,45,setback,etc

Punished

Ok, I've finally stepped in to the open game but need to decide on what red dot I will run and what mount for it.

First I was looking to run a non cmore (smaller optic) either RTS/Venom/SigRomeo, as I wanted as low sight line as possible. Which made me realize that some of the optics are still sitting about the same as a cmore normally mounted would be. So I realized a 90 or 45 mount cmore may be what I'm in the market for.

and then I fully went down the rabbit hole...... normal 90 mount, set back 90 mount, 45 degree mount.... how are you guys (outside of trying all these options out) picking what you like the most? How much of a difference does the regular positioned 90 mount feel compared to the set back version? I'm assuming this is a balance issue and not so much for eye sight distance?

Hello: order the Cheely 90 degree setback mount and don't look back. It moves the scope closer to the pivot point (your hand) and puts the weight more into your hand. It also puts the scope low so if you shoot iron sights it will help with the transition. I use a regular C-More with a 6 MOA or 8MOA dot module. This is on a STI 2011 type guns. Welcome to open you are gonna love it. Thanks, Eric

Regular mounts still rule... you can put a small sight on it, I don't think that obsession with how low your dot is really makes you a better shooter. So many guys with regular mounts far out-shoot me, no matter what I would put on my gun.

To me the 90 degrees mounts are just clumsy. Not deadly... but clumsy.

Edited by Foxbat

I'm no expert, but I tried a 90 degree mount. It seemed a little odd having the c-more body hanging off to the left, I just could not get used to it. But some people swear by them. I think that it comes down to personal preference. If you don't mind the dot being a litter higher, go with a regular. If you want to keep it lower and it don't seem lop sided to you go with a 90 degree. Just my two cents worth.

Hello: order the Cheely 90 degree setback mount and don't look back. It moves the scope closer to the pivot point (your hand) and puts the weight more into your hand. It also puts the scope low so if you shoot iron sights it will help with the transition. I use a regular C-More with a 6 MOA or 8MOA dot module. This is on a STI 2011 type guns. Welcome to open you are gonna love it. Thanks, Eric

Eric, I have tried all of the 90 degree mounts out there. I like the 90 degree mounts, except for the fact that I have yet to find one that works well with a good left hand thumb rest. For me, the thumb rest is an important part of the Open Gun Package, so I eventually abandoned the 90 degree mount and went back to the upright. Since you are a big proponent of the 90 degree mount, I am wondering if you have found a good solution to this problem, or if you simply shoot without a rest.

I assume you're right handed and want a weak hand thumb rest? A few I've tried in conjunction with a 90 mount are the rescomp/cr speed one, the IPSC alex one and the double alpha 90 mount that comes with a rest included.

Some may need a tiny bit of shaping to fit under the shelf part of the mount.

Eric, I have tried all of the 90 degree mounts out there. I like the 90 degree mounts, except for the fact that I have yet to find one that works well with a good left hand thumb rest. For me, the thumb rest is an important part of the Open Gun Package, so I eventually abandoned the 90 degree mount and went back to the upright. Since you are a big proponent of the 90 degree mount, I am wondering if you have found a good solution to this problem, or if you simply shoot without a rest.

The nitro fin works great.

The nitro fin works great.

I have the Nitro Fin on a Limited Gun and I love it for that application, but for some reason I don't like it on the Open gun.

My topic title still stands. Overwhelming. Lol. Hopefully someone this weekend will have a 90 mount I can handle.

If I go regular mount then I'd rather have a smaller sts type dot on it. My only concern with a 90 mount is it throwing off my right to left array shooting.

Good to know the nitro fin works with them as that's what I already have.

When I played with the 90 deg mounts, I found that the only one I liked was the Cameron, because it left most room for my left thumb. I then made the thumb rest for it, and it worked reasonably well.

Of course I then moved to the vertical, but if I had to use a 90 deg, Cameron would be my mount.

post-21305-0-08121900-1445949742_thumb.j

My topic title still stands. Overwhelming. Lol. Hopefully someone this weekend will have a 90 mount I can handle.

If I go regular mount then I'd rather have a smaller sts type dot on it. My only concern with a 90 mount is it throwing off my right to left array shooting.

You can get any poll result you are looking for, but one sobering experience is to page through the Front Sight magazine for what the folks, featured there, use. I once did that mini research, and the result was like 11 to 1 in favor of the standard vertical mounts.

I tried every "other" mount out there, including the 45 deg, and eventually returned to the vertical.

One word on the small sight: sts or RTS2, or the like... I have a gun with it, and I like it when it works. But when I go back to my big C-More, I find more "at home", I like REALLY don't see any issues with it. It just plain works... for me, at least. And that is why it is so popular.

You can get any poll result you are looking for, but one sobering experience is to page through the Front Sight magazine for what the folks, featured there, use. I once did that mini research, and the result was like 11 to 1 in favor of the standard vertical mounts.

I tried every "other" mount out there, including the 45 deg, and eventually returned to the vertical.

One word on the small sight: sts or RTS2, or the like... I have a gun with it, and I like it when it works. But when I go back to my big C-More, I find more "at home", I like REALLY don't see any issues with it. It just plain works... for me, at least. And that is why it is so popular.

I actually went back and watched film/looked at photos of the open nats from the past 2 years and noticed very few had a 90 mount. I shoot irons very often so I wanted to be able to shoot as close to that set up as possible with a frame mounted optic. I've not been a big fan of having to drop the gun a bit in order to see the regular mounted cmore. (however, I'll see what guys are running this weekend and see if I can do some draws at the safety table.) I'd like to make a purchase once and then move on to just ammo spending and not fiddling with the gun.

I actually went back and watched film/looked at photos of the open nats from the past 2 years and noticed very few had a 90 mount. I shoot irons very often so I wanted to be able to shoot as close to that set up as possible with a frame mounted optic. I've not been a big fan of having to drop the gun a bit in order to see the regular mounted cmore. (however, I'll see what guys are running this weekend and see if I can do some draws at the safety table.) I'd like to make a purchase once and then move on to just ammo spending and not fiddling with the gun.

You switch very quickly... I know I do. I have two nearly identical gun, one with the Slideride, tall C-More, the other one with the RTS-2, that sits much lower.

Yes, if you work a lot with one gun, then grab the other, you need some time to adjust, but that time is short - maybe 20-30 rounds.

Hello: Trust me going from upright mount to iron sights is not real easy. If you try a 90 degree mount then pickup a iron sighted pistol you can shoot both easily. I did this a while back with both guns sitting on a bench at the range. Shoot 4 rounds then pickup other gun shoot 4 and then go back to the other gun. Try this weak hand as well. No adjustment needed for me. As for a thumb rest you can make one either round or flat. Drill and tap mount for the thumb rest and you are done. I was using a GoGuns one a while back but do just as well without it. Less weight and I don't have to worry about me pushing the gun to the right. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Trust me going from upright mount to iron sights is not real easy. If you try a 90 degree mount then pickup a iron sighted pistol you can shoot both easily. I did this a while back with both guns sitting on a bench at the range. Shoot 4 rounds then pickup other gun shoot 4 and then go back to the other gun. Try this weak hand as well. No adjustment needed for me. As for a thumb rest you can make one either round or flat. Drill and tap mount for the thumb rest and you are done. I was using a GoGuns one a while back but do just as well without it. Less weight and I don't have to worry about me pushing the gun to the right. Thanks, Eric

I had to switch in the middle of a match, from RTS2 to slideride, and it was transparent - I drew a few times in the safe area, and the rest was natural. Next stage went pretty well already.

The choice of the mount is not some silver bullet. You can do fine with either one, but ask yourself - why you mostly see the vertical ones?

However, believe me, you will have many more important things to worry about once you start using it.

I think you probably see more uprights as they have been around much longer than the 90 degree ones. Most of the "Sharks" have been shooting since before the 90 degree ones existed and the larger percentage of people stick with what they started out with.

9mm 2011 Open guns - one with EMG Custom 90 degree with 6 MOA C-More, the other Cheely mount and RTS2. Both work well, and not really that much of an issue to go back and forth. Another benefit of either not mentioned is staying out of ejection path for potential issues vs traditional upright.

I don't know that I notice much that the RTS2 rig is 2 oz lighter because of optic (44 vs 42 oz total - 3 vs 1 something for optic). I think what bothers me the most about the traditional C-More is the horrible battery life I always seem to get even only having it turned on for each run. The RTS2 conversely is a joy with battery life. And knock on wood I haven't had the shut off problems many have had. At some point I'll probably do both RTS2, hope that helps.

9mm 2011 Open guns - one with EMG Custom 90 degree with 6 MOA C-More, the other Cheely mount and RTS2. Both work well, and not really that much of an issue to go back and forth. Another benefit of either not mentioned is staying out of ejection path for potential issues vs traditional upright.

I don't know that I notice much that the RTS2 rig is 2 oz lighter because of optic (44 vs 42 oz total - 3 vs 1 something for optic). I think what bothers me the most about the traditional C-More is the horrible battery life I always seem to get even only having it turned on for each run. The RTS2 conversely is a joy with battery life. And knock on wood I haven't had the shut off problems many have had. At some point I'll probably do both RTS2, hope that helps.

Adding to this is the height over bore axis. 3 yard shots poi is closer to the dot and 30-40 yard shots are almost right on the dot with a 90 degree mount vs having to aim high in close and low at distance.