Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's currently most common configuration for a Limited Gun?

Chutist

Notice I didn't say "BEST", that will get argued for ever!

What I'm looking for...

The "consensus" for equipment?

I expect to find "most" used is:

2011 frame

Fiber Optic Front sight

What I don't know is...

5" or 6" ?

AL or plastic grip?

Lighten Slides?

Light rail?

Long or short Dust cover?

I generally just go shoot but it's time for a new toy after 20 years away from the sport... When I "left" my EGW Para .45 was just fine...but now I can even find Magazines for it! I took my Glock out to a local match and well... I just like the trigger in a 1911 better. ;) I have a supply of .40 for training and the green light from the "Boss" for a new blaster so the hunt is on....

So everybody has a preferences so I'll ask what "2011" set up was most common on the Super Squad at the Nat's?

I actually started shooting limited minor with an m&p 9 I already had. But after a while I went looking for a used 2011. Ended up picking up a STI eagle for $1800 with 3 mags and a two bull barrels. But the trigger guard had been rounded so I replaced the grip so I could use a double alpha holster without the gun rocking. I'm still working out the kinks and tuning everything how I like it. I'm thinking about getting a thumb rest here soon.

Most guys I've been shooting with who are shooting limited run a fiber optic sight usually a red Dawson with the adjustable rear. Most run a polymer grip. I like the feel of the stock sti polymer grip alot.

With the new limited rules I've seen a lot of guys going with the skeleton style holsters. And some guys are using thumb rests, and slide rackers. I've even seen a few with a barrel weight that looks like comp but is just a hunk of metal to add weight to the front of the gun.

Slide lightening is prevalent I've no experience with it but I see it a lot.

Honestly, I would buy an sti production 2011. Then if something breaks goes wrong doesn't work you have sti customer service at your disposal. Sti dvc limited can be bought in 40 cal for $2100-2600.

I think an Edge or similar offerings is most common.

I run a short dust cover .40 5" bull barrel Bedell 2011. Lightened slide, PT metal grip, ice magwell 2lbs trigger. I think this set up is fairly common as well with a long dust cover...

So everybody has a preferences so I'll ask what "2011" set up was most common on the Super Squad at the Nat's?

The most common on the limited super squad would be a full dust cover, plastic gripped, bull barreled 5 inch. Some have substantial slide lightening and some do not.

There were a couple of front sight block trackers.

It is interesting to note that this year there were no full dust cover guns in the top 3.

Short Dust 2011

G24 (I think)

G24

The takeaway from that isn't necessarily that Glocks are the best (they went 2-3 at Prod Nat's too), or that you need a short dust cover to win, but rather that there is a wide variety of guns (2011s in 5", 5.4", 6", Glocks, trackers) that can be competitive. Its personal preference- what do you shoot best?

A lot of this comes down to personal preference. Some people like light weight setups and others like heavy weight setups. I see a wide range of Limited gun configurations at the local and major matches I attend so I really don't think there is a definitive answer on one configuration being "better" than another. The cool thing about the 2011 platform is that you can configure it however you want so fine tuning it to your wants and needs. The only limitation to this is usually how thick your wallet is in being able to try different stuff.

I would suggest you find some local shooters using different configurations of Limited guns and give them a test drive. Figure out which basic configuration you prefer then get one built using the same basic specs. One thing you need to keep in mind is that a lot of the guns have similar shooting "Feel" and sight tracking characteristics when you are in a normal shooting stance with a solid grip. Its not until you shoot the guns from an off balanced or awkward shooting position where you will really notice the differences. The practical shooting sports has us shooting from strange shooting positions all the time using a less than optimal stance, body position, or whatever else. You need a gun that will do your biding in these awkward shooting positions just as much as normal shooting positions.

For me a "Heavy" 50oz config (Bull Barrel, Long Dust Cover, Steel Grip) Limited gun gets the job done very effectively in all of the strange shooting positions we get exposed to. I have tried lighter config Limited guns (35 - 40oz) and they require a lot more Grip and Muscle effort to shoot fast and accurately when in circumvented stance shooting positions. But some people love the feel of the lighter weight guns as they think that allows them to transition from target to target faster. I have yet to see any target to target transition time differences between light or heavy Limited guns when I shoot them back to back but everyone is different I guess. The Lighter gun "Feels" like you are transitioning faster because there is less mass swinging around, but the shot timer results show the same transition times as a heavy gun.

Check out a CZ tactical sport in .40. Super sweet shooting guns but the grip is a little large compared to a 2011 for guys with normal to small hands. It can be made a "bit" smaller though. Price is considerably less than a 2011, esp if you can find one used. There are quite a few guys that run them around here. I would say that "most" around here run glock 35's though with 2011 platforms close in second.

Edited by Nebwake

Glock and CZ are not in the hunt. Glock runs fine, there's one in the safe, just like 1911 triggers for USPSA.

I've run a pretty stock .40 G35 - grip tape and fiber optic sight. I ran a EGW 5" Para back in the 90's, the weight discussion got me thinking so I pulled the Para out of the safe - 39 oz. It feels "heavy"... Will likely try to keep things lighter. I don't mind snappy, I want the gun to cycle quick so I can get on with it... ;)

I'm leaning toward this...

11227046_1161530717193647_66993309757461

https://www.facebook.com/137621616251234/photos/a.137726642907398.25513.137621616251234/1161530717193647/?type=3&theater

Might really go "bling" with a spiral cut barrel too...

Edited by Chutist

I also went the CZ 75 Tactical Sport route. I didn't have time to build a 2011, so I bought the TS. $1200 for the gun new with three mags + spare parts. $50 for a Dawson FO front sight. $160 for 4 extended base pads and $50 for a fourth mag. Add $40 if you want the CZC or Grams followers and springs to get 21 reloadable in a mag. For $1400 I have a no compromise pistol setup designed specifically for IPSC and USPSA Limited. It is super accurate, super reliable and I didn't have to "tweak" a thing to get it to run right. It did, right out of the box.

I'm a die hard 1911 guy, so believe me when I say I'm impressed. I have no plans to replace it with a 2011. When I have time I'll build a 2011 Open gun. Then I'll be able to shoot SS, Limited or Open, depending on what I feel like on match day.

Can't you run S_I or Rescomp mags in your Para?

Never had any to try... and they are kind of expensive to just get one to see. I'm hopeful MBX will get around to .45 mags at some point. When they do I'll buy 10 and set them back with the gun.... ;)

The Para does run fine...when the mags work. I could run it if I respring the mags, set the feed lips and do some polishing.

I have .40 ammo available to me, so why fight it? I'll go 2011/.40 cal - that's the baseline. Just trying to figure out some of the details...

Edited by Chutist

If you are shooting Major Power Factor .40 ammo, regardless of gun config, you are not going to "Out run the gun" from a mechanical cycling speed standpoint. The mechanical cycle time on a major PF limited gun is going to be in the 0.03 - 0.05 time frame. The fastest anyone will be able to shoot two shots on demand (not a bump fire) is in the 0.09 - 0.11 time frame. Even when you bump fire a gun to achieve sub 0.09 times the slide has still completed its cycling process or it wouldn't be able to fire the second shot. So don't get caught up in the "My finger is going to outrun the gun" hogwash.

You also have to contend with the Fashion vs Function debate as well. I have shot plenty of "Cool Looking" guns that felt and tracked the sights like crap while shooting them because they were not setup properly as a whole. I would rather shoot an ugly duckling that I can run like a scalded dog verses a prom queen that shoots like crap.

I'm not worried about out running the gun... I know what my shot to shot break times are during a Bill Drill. I do like the gun to cycle and settle quick so I can pick up the sight... ;) My EGW doesn't have any blue left on it... It's not pretty by any stretch but it did run! ;)

Go to some matches and ask who is willing to let you fondle their firearms. Most of us are quite proud when someone wants to check out our toys. Generally, I will even offer to let you run a few rounds through it too. I suspect you will find many similar folk at matches near you. Try some lighter guns, some heavier, and some longer ones. I like a light, 6" .40. It works great for me when I'm doing my part.

From what I've seen:

Poly grip

.40 major

5"

Full dust cover w/o rail

Cocking serrations/minimal lightening cuts

Yup...

That seems to be the answer

Anything better than a Dawson ICE for a mag well?

And I've seen some with slide rackers :D That might be handy....or might be a knuckle buster! LOL!!

Edited by Chutist

From what I've seen:

Poly grip

.40 major

5"

Full dust cover w/o rail

Cocking serrations/minimal lightening cuts

Yup...

That seems to be the answer

Anything better than a Dawson ICE for a mag well?

And I've seen some with slide rackers :D That might be handy....or might be a knuckle buster! LOL!!

Better? Maybe more unique or cool looking, but nothing I can really think of, functionality and price wise.

IMO, a slide racker would probably be distracting to me, but would be nice for a unloaded table start. Props the gun up to get a better grip faster.

You would have to have a hell of a high grip to bust your knuckles on one though!