Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you tell if a gun fits?

robport

I've been shooting for just a couple of years now and yes, I only shoot IDPA (we don't even have USPSA within 100 miles, so please don't turn this into a rant against it )

I currently have a 22TCM that I use as a 2011 (9mm barrel) in ESP, a Walther PPQ for SSP, and a 1911 (in .45). I've been shooting the 22TCM because of it's weight and have really been concentrating on improving my grip for follow-up shots. It suddenly hit me that the 1911 feels more natural right now and feels like it points the fastest. Even with my short thick hands, the Walther feels too small right now and the 22 TCM (think double-stack 1911) feels a little big. I'm beginning to question which one to work with.

I've had a bunch of guns in a gun shop feel really good and when I've gotten out on the range...not so much.

It's not that easy to try out different pistols and if I buy another one, it will most likely be sight unseen.

Is there an actual objective way to measure the fit of a pistol against the hand? It's just a bunch of physical measurements to be compared against each other, so it looks like it could be done.in a reasonable manner.

If it hasn't been done, it could be an interesting academic exercise in ergonomics with real life applications though.

Is there an objective way to measure the fit of a pistol against the hand?

When I was 19 (51 years ago), I started using a Browning Hi-Power 9mm.

Shot it until I was 45 (26 years shooting the BHP) and then bought my

first 1911.

The 1911 was Too Big for my hand - felt very awkward - couldn't close

my fingers around the 1911 grip - LOVED my BHP. :closedeyes:

After shooting the 1911 for a few months, I noticed that I shot the 1911

much better than I shot the BHP. And, the 1911 felt much more comfortable

in my hand than the BHP.

And, the BHP felt Too Small in my hand ... :blush:

Not only is there NOT an objective way to measure the fit of a pistol, but

even your first handling of a pistol will lie to you.

I keep reading about guys saying their wife didn't "like the feel" of such

and such gun.

You got to shoot them a few weeks before you can actually tell if you like

them - so NO, I don't think there is any short cut to selecting The Right

Pistol.

Don't get me started on revolvers - I used to shoot revolvers (long time

ago) and the semi-autos felt really strange.

NOW, the revolver feels really strange.

Just a matter of adjusting and getting used to it ... IMHO.

This advice is worth every penny you just spent on it. :ph34r:

Is there an objective way to measure the fit of a pistol against the hand?

When I was 19 (51 years ago), I started using a Browning Hi-Power 9mm....

When you were 19....

I think the numbers back then were presented as XIX. :surprise::surprise::roflol::roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

There are two considerations for me regarding the way a gun feels. The first is the reach to the trigger after all the pretravel is taken out. If the reach is too short, I have a tendency to use too much finger insertion. If it is too long, sometimes I can't get the pad of my finger on the trigger.

The other is the shape of the grip and the contact I get on the sides. I have long fingers and large hands, so I usually want a fat ovalized cross section grip. Most polymer guns are the shape of the magazine plus a little. I have JB-Welded the flat sides of a CZ P-09 just to make it more oval. This also increases the reach to the trigger. I've also added some JB-Weld to the front side of the trigger blade to increase the reach.

When the grip shape is right and the reach is right, you trigger finger goes to the right spot when you pick up the gun, and the gun has full contact with the palm of your hand.

I have spent a lot of money on grips, grip tape, JB-Weld, and then used an X-acto knife and files to get what I want. It makes a difference.

I also have found as one poster stated above--sometimes it takes a while to figure out what needs to be changed and by how much. I give a new gun a few sessions without change before I start modifying it, but modify I will definitely do. Lots of options for a 1911, but one has to work at it on a polymer gun.

Joe

When I was 19 (51 years ago), I started using a Browning Hi-Power 9mm.

Shot it until I was 45 (26 years shooting the BHP) and then bought my

first 1911.

That's one problem of getting old,,we,I can't remember how old I am..70. Or 71

Edited by EEH

Hi-Power Jack

I to shot my Browning and loved it,until I shot my first 1911..

As to the op,feel is all you get most of the time..

When shooting with friends I ask to shoot something I am interested in. Has saved me some money and a gun to sell I didn't like..

I must say I am a 1911 fan. I have been shooting one since 82. I have a 71 colt 5" now and it is hard to miss. Another favorite of mine is the p85. Both heavy guns but great on the follow up. I had an m&p9 for almost a year now and I find it hard to keep a plastic gun on target.

I had been thinking that there might actually be a market niche for custom frames, especially with something like the Sig 320 selling fames so cheaply.

I think you could actually model all the force from the geometry of each individual hand and mold all the contact points for finger length, finger thickness, hand thickness, hand length/height, wrist location etc.

(It's all geometry, right?)

You could also compare the measurements to every model in a database and choose the closest or actually make one using 3D machining or maybe even printing.

The manufacturers wouldn't like it because it would be objective and probably end up with one doing the most business, but for the shooters, it could really might help.

I don't have the energy to do it, but it's a thought anyways....I wouldn't be surprise if someone patents the idea soon...lol.

there might be a niche for custom frames.

model all the force from the geometry of each individual hand and mold all the contact points for finger length, finger thickness, hand thickness, hand length/height, wrist location etc.

I bet that would work, if the price is right.

You could make a 1911-feeling grip for a P85 or a Glock - people would love it.

Different colors, different textures, heck even custom printed. Bet it would sell. :cheers:

Try a gun with interchangeable grips/inserts and go from there. Or buy some cheapo wood grip for your 1911 and build them up until you fine the size you like and then measure it.

It's an expensive process, and there isn't a way around it unless you tinker or have a pool of guns and gear to borrow from.

I just figured out I like a really large grip frame about six months ago. It was an odd experience. Got a Gen 4 G34 for 3-Gun and USPSA Production, and the biggest grip strap/panel was my favorite. Now considering what to do with my 2011 to beef it up in circumference.

I shot revolvers for 30 years, both single and double action. I hardly ever shot a semi auto pistol until I took my wife's 1911 to a USPSA match. I never liked shooting a semi auto because I hated picking up the brass.

USPSA changed that.

Within 3 months I had bought a P-14, a Dillon 550, and had gotten used to picking up brass. (You can always tell an old reloader, even from a distance, because they are always looking at the ground when on the range.)

The revolvers quickly developed the feeling of a somewhat alien object when in my hand.

The Para felt too large at first but that quickly went away.

Hi-PowerJack, if you could make my Glocks feel like my 2011s, I would love it!

The bottom line is that you will get over the initial feel/dislike for whatever you pick up. If you don't then get something else.

• 5 weeks later...

I've ran into the same thing but with Glocks.. I thought they felt good and I shot them ok but when I started shooting other pistols at the range that over people had and let me try it really changed my views.. I turned to the 1911 and loved the way it felt in all aspects.. I was shooting a M&P in matches and really got used to it and saw my match results getting better and better.. Now I'm into an Edge and love it even more than the other guns I've shot.

:surprise:

My first gun was a BPH. I like it so much I purchased another one and spent my daughter's inheritance on having C&S turn it into a shooter. Bill to it to Irv who actually fitted the barrel. There are not flyers. But;

Then I purchased my first of way tooooooo many 1911s and SV Wide bodies.

I had a XD tricked out by Springer Precision. A #@$^#!&@$%&^ great trigger job. But I sucked at a plate rack with it. Sold it.

Angus tricked out a CZ. Nice gun-sold it.

Needless to say, I shoot my SVs better than anything else. But that is just me. I know a number of shooters that can pick up any pistol and shoot them very well. I am just not that guy.

Range time and good fundamentals are what really tell.