Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS-6 or Autocomp powder for 115"s 9mm major?

kimberacp

As the title states, am taking the plunge into Open and I want to shoot the 115s. From a gun with no popples holes, EGW comp, 5 in slide.

What would work best??? I have read the posts and some say HS for 115s and others use the AComp and the some that used Acomp and HS, say they didnt notice the difference.

So, which one should I get??

thanks

Well I haven't tried AC yet, but HS6 with 115s is pretty cool in my gun. 8.5gr, 115 coated bullet, 1.15oal making me about 170 pf. Not very loud, not much recoil, and pretty flat. And no pressure signs at all.

I'm told it's smokier than it would be with WAC, but I wonder how much of that is from my coated bullets... either way it doesn't bother me when I'm shooting.

To make major with a 9mm, using the 115 gr bullets, you need a case full of

HS6 - it felt nice and shot great, but I didn't like loading the powder up so high

and having to load out that long....

So, I switched to WAC - takes about 1 grain less, and leaves some space

in the case to seat the bullet - and powder doesn't spill out when I'm reloading.

HS6 felt a bit better, but the WAC is easier to reload.

And you use 12% or so less powder with the WAC.

i use hs6 as it creates more pressure to work the comp but have to work loads up slow

This isn't exactly true, if you compare book loads at the same velocity you'll see slower powders produce less pressure, it's gas volume which works the comp, not pressure. For an extreme example if you used enough Titegroup to make major it would be a very high pressure round (maybe even enough to blow up your gun), but would not work the comp as well as HS6.

I am switching to HS-6. I need to work up a load with WAC to be sure but I tested it against my go to 3n38 yesterday and I honestly couldn't feel any difference and they both shot the same. Even in a mixed mag I couldn't tell from shot to shot. I'm pretty happy about that. Much less powder in the case as well so less spilling. Also a lot less cost per pound.

HS6 all day long!

I have a metric crapload of WAC ... is it a BIG difference worth trying to trading 'up' to HS-6 given its readily available right now? ... Or more like a 2-5% better difference (for 9mm 115/121/124 major), something I would barely notice as a B/A Open shooter? Assume minor hassle factor of swapping out powder isn't an issue :-)

HS6 all day long!

I have a metric crapload of WAC ... is it a BIG difference worth trying to trading 'up' to HS-6 given its readily available right now? ... Or more like a 2-5% better difference (for 9mm 115/121/124 major), something I would barely notice as a B/A Open shooter? Assume minor hassle factor of swapping out powder isn't an issue :-)

Considering you're 0.03% closer to A than I am one SURE you'll feel the difference ;)

On second thought no improvements to your game, I'm in this race to win!

Edited by kneelingatlas