Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At what age does performance start declining?

Wesquire

35 to 40 yrs.......The PGA has a Senior Tour at 50. I'm 58 and have been going down hill since about 40. Eyes are good (with glasses), but my eyes seem "slower". Physically little things are catching up with me...back, knees, shoulder, At my age I feel like a 1050....when its running good there's nothing better....but once in awhile parts break or get stuck....then its hell for a little while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Jerry is 61 and I don't know when he'll fall way behind. From what I gather, he can still walk onto any 3-gun match and be a very realistic threat to win it no matter who else is there.

As for JM, I see him at every big 3gun I attend. You might out hustle him but you better bring your 'A' game if you intend to out shoot him 'cause that's gonna be tough to do.

For most inactive men, decrepitude starts around 30. That being said, if you can move reasonably well and are fairly robust, you should be able to shoot at a pretty high level at the least into your 60s, and I wouldn't be shocked to see shooters older than that still perform pretty well.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

For most inactive men, decrepitude starts around 30. That being said, if you can move reasonably well and are fairly robust, you should be able to shoot at a pretty high level at the least into your 60s, and I wouldn't be shocked to see shooters older than that still perform pretty well.

What Jake said!

It's not the age, it's the mileage.

Good physical condition, a sharp mind and good vision will keep you in the game a long time.

Unfortunately, I am not one of those few. 2 back surgeries, loss of vision in one eye and CRS made my decline apparent in my early 60's. But, there is a lot to be said for all the fun shooting super senior. I ended up high scoring super senior is every 2015 match, at my local range. Hell, I consider that "gold" now! :roflol:

I started becoming more and more prone to nagging injuries in weight lifting and jiu jitsu when I hit my early - mid 30's, mainly tendonitis, tendonosis, and muscle pulls. As I slide in to 40, I notice my eyes not working as well as they used to. I train harder now than I ever have but am constantly dealing with some ailment or another. So for general performance, I've already started the decline. As some have mentioned previously, I think it is largely an individual thing in terms of genetics and mileage. As far as shooting goes, I am still a relative noob at the sport, so I think I will be able to make a good deal of progress before I hit my peak, im just not sure my peak will be as high as it would have been had I found this sport 15-20 years ago.

I started becoming more and more prone to nagging injuries in weight lifting and jiu jitsu when I hit my early - mid 30's, mainly tendonitis, tendonosis, and muscle pulls. As I slide in to 40, I notice my eyes not working as well as they used to. I train harder now than I ever have but am constantly dealing with some ailment or another. So for general performance, I've already started the decline. As some have mentioned previously, I think it is largely an individual thing in terms of genetics and mileage. As far as shooting goes, I am still a relative noob at the sport, so I think I will be able to make a good deal of progress before I hit my peak, im just not sure my peak will be as high as it would have been had I found this sport 15-20 years ago.

Yeah I agree with this. I've found that as trainees get older, they need to devote more and more time to things like sleep, nutrition, stress management, recovery, etc. Kelly Starrett at MobilityWod has some fantastic stuff on this from the recovery and maintenance standpoint.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Yeah I agree with this. I've found that as trainees get older, they need to devote more and more time to things like sleep, nutrition, stress management, recovery, etc. Kelly Starrett at MobilityWod has some fantastic stuff on this from the recovery and maintenance standpoint.

He's got some good stuff, but time off is usually what fixes my tendinitis when it flares up. What I have found is pretty much the older I get, the more willing I am to embrace the suck to get where I want to be. If 15-20 yr old me had the same drive as 40 yr old me, no telling where the journey would have taken me. These days nothing pisses me off more and makes me work harder than sucking at something I want to be good at.

Of course you won't peak quite as high... so? The great thing about finding new sports as you age is that you are on the steeper funner part of the learning curve. It's hard to stay motivated to train when you plateau.

30s, 40s...OK. Your body is still going to change a lot. Things that are hurt now can and will heal, other things might not. Things you can physically do well now, you might be even better at in your 50s and possibly beyond. Eyes change but vision correction technology is at an incredible level.

The number of training devices/techniques, nutrition options, hormone therapies, surgical repairs, etc., can keep a motivated person performing at a high level for a very long time. But you have to take advantage of them.

How do you explain the Tarannosaurus then? He can bend time and space measurements, slow the clock down and increase the point count. Everyone knows he is an Alien Robot.....

USPSA-Shooter-Taran-Butler.jpg

Edited by 9x45

How do you explain the Tarannosaurus then? He can bend time and space measurements, slow the clock down and increase the point count. Everyone knows he is an Alien Robot.....

USPSA-Shooter-Taran-Butler.jpg

the explanation is that shooting is a sport that even fat sedendary old men can succeed it.