Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems like a very difficult thing to try and enforce across a level playing field.

If you are looking for absolutes in 3gun.., then you should consider shooting USPSA pistol matches. As for SMM3G... You will be hard pressed to find a better run match.

Bummer! Every so often someone gets this GREAT idea for mystery or surprise stages which turn out to be a very uneven playing field for the non-local shooters or just a plain disaster from a functional point, which is why it only happens every couple of years when either new match directors get the GREAT idea or old match directors forget what a crap fest the last GREAT idea turned out.

Um at no time did the SMM3G staff say any of the stages were going to be mysteries. They said you couldn't walk them before hand, just durring the 5 minutes assigned to each squad. Just like any level 3,4 or world championship IPSC match. No big thing! Lighten up guys!

Bummer! Every so often someone gets this GREAT idea for mystery or surprise stages which turn out to be a very uneven playing field for the non-local shooters or just a plain disaster from a functional point, which is why it only happens every couple of years when either new match directors get the GREAT idea or old match directors forget what a crap fest the last GREAT idea turned out.

Time for a history lesson, pal: Soldier of Fortune matches were always semi-surprise stages, were never a crap fest and probably would have eaten your lunch :devil:

ericm

This is getting interesting. What is a semi-surprise? I've been to a pig farm so I know what a crap fest is. But what really interests me is how would those matches have eaten Ming the Merciless's lunch, or anybody else's? I amnot taking sides. I like the SMM3G match, it is pretty much the gold standard of 3 gun matches, because of longevity, good stages, good prize table, fun meter on high in Mesa, and friends. But like Notre Dame football, it has it's ups and downs. The last SOF match was like 15 years ago and if it was so great, why isn't it still around? But what I really want to know, how does it eat your lunch?

There were never any walk throughs. It was all field position shooting, never any ports to brace off of very little chance to use prone. Had to hunt for targets etc. You were forced into the most God awful positions to shoot from, with no way to practice for it or figure it out in a walkthrough.

Reason not still around? Well the main sponsor quit sponsored the match, but in a way it still is around, because the guys who did the last S.O.F. also started Rocky Mountain 3-Gun the next year. Me, my brother Eric, Blane West and Jimmy Holdsworth. Now RM3G is far removed from what S.O.F. was as it is being run under a different set of folks who have their own vision, but it has its roots in S.O.F.!!!

Edited by kurtm

Didn't mean to dump on anybody I was just making a comment having shot some of the matches Mr. Miller mentioned (SOF). Will probably eat my lunch like they all do! But I will have fun and enjoy being around friends? Mesa matches are among the best in the country!!!

From the SMM3G Powers that be:

It sounds like some people may be reading more into the 2016 Walk-Through Policy than is really there.

In previous years, the published Walk-Through Policy was as follows:

"On Wednesday & Thursday, if no competitors are shooting, preparing to shoot or scoring the stage, the Range Master has approved registered competitors only to enter or move through a course of fire. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, competitors may enter or move through a course of fire only with prior approval of a Range Officer assigned to that course of fire, or the Range Master. At no times are props to be activated, reset, or should anyone be downrange."

For the 2016 match only, the Range Master is simply WITHOLDING his approval for anyone to enter or move through the course of fire prior to their scheduled briefing time. This is the only match-wide Walk-Through Policy change for the 2016 event, and the change is being made for reasons that will become clear when competitors arrive. Everyone will still get their full 5-minute squad walk-through, and folks will be relieved to hear they still get to help reset the stages for their squadmates.

Nothing in the 2016 Walk-Through Policy in any way prevents competitors or spectators from observing the stage layouts from the spectator area (i.e. behind the rope line). Indeed, because of the full-day schedule, competitors should have ample time to enjoy watching others shooting the stages. We hope this will minimize any disadvantage for the first shooter of the squad on any given stage.

Lastly, we want to emphasize that the Range Master will be taking great care to ensure that the change to the 2016 Walk-Through Policy will not create any problems with competitive equity.

Edited by SinistralRifleman