Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder chamfering

woodrow

I've got a 627pc and am having trouble loading moon clipped ammo. I've been playing with a buddy's 625jm and that loads no problem at all. Its almost like it sucks the ammo in.

My question is if the stock 627pc chamfer is enough or do you guys have it chamfered out some more?

I know the caliber and only 6 rounds of the 45 make loading really easy. But the chamfer i see in those is not like that weird uneven chamfering on my 627. The front and back is chamfered but the sides of the extractor are not.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

No doubt the .45 w/moons reloads faster.

But the 627 reloads pretty easily with short cases and heavy round nosed bullets.

Many people have done a good job chamfering the 8 hole guns with a dremel:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177406

If you haven't already maybe do a search for something like "627 chamfer" and see what comes up. Several threads with lots of pictures and some how-to's with good advice. I chamfered my 627 with a dremel based on info I found here and it came out similar to what is in the link above.

I've got a 627pc and am having trouble loading moon clipped ammo. I've been playing with a buddy's 625jm and that loads no problem at all. Its almost like it sucks the ammo in.

My question is if the stock 627pc chamfer is enough or do you guys have it chamfered out some more?

I know the caliber and only 6 rounds of the 45 make loading really easy. But the chamfer i see in those is not like that weird uneven chamfering on my 627. The front and back is chamfered but the sides of the extractor are not.

Not only is somewhat of a chamfer required, but properly fitted brass and moon clips are as well with the 627s. Many prefer Hearthco or TK clips with starline brass. The 625 was nice to just use e cheap stamped clips and whatever brass you had, it's a different story with the 8 shot guns.

I should add that I'm new to revolver class. I needed a change from limited haaha. I've been doing my research here and getting set up pretty good.

So far I'm loading 38 short colt with hearthco clips. But I load 38spl for blasting. Sometimes the moon will get locked in on a reload, the cartridges are about at the crimped area. If I fiddle them around they'll drop in. Maybe it has to do with chamfer and crimp...my first batch I've crimped like its an auto. Not all rolled in like a 357mag. Maybe thats a bigger culprit?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Edited by woodrow

I took out the extractor on mine and chamfered just the cylinder part. The extractor has a chamfer near the ratchets, but still square on the sides of the hole to extract individual cases. I wanted to retain this feature so I just did a light edge break on the sides. With moon clips (Hearthco and Starline 38 SC) mine reloads as fast as anything else. Round nose bullets are a must, as anything with even a small flat on the nose will not work the same.

First thing is to decide wether you want to still be able to shoot loose rounds, or you want it to be a dedicated "moonclip only gun"

If you want to fire loose rounds, Chamfer the cylinder a bit more, and break the edges of the extractor, only chamfer as far as so that the rim of the case still sits in its proper original location :

9150959019_726e83a5ec_b.jpg

If its a competition gun / moon clip only gun, go big :

15935974736_9cb510511c_b.jpg

Brownells ... 080-948-381WB in one kit (cylinder). Have had this sitting on the desk for 6 months and afraid to do it!!! :mellow:

... cause ... I am worried about keeping the cuts equal.

How did you limit the cut depth?? (keep them all the same)

I was thinking of hand turning it in a drill press so I could get the same depth in each hole.

( credit goes to bosshoss for the idea )

I chuck the bit and pilot bit into a drill press, do the 1st one by eye and then set the depth on the drill press , though - most the time I do them all by eye.

Use lots and lots of cutting oil while cutting.

Edited by alecmc

I just sent my 929 cylinder to TK custom. Does anyone knows how aggressive their chamfering jobs are?

On examples I have seen, it will not be anywhere near that aggressive, but that is just anecdotal.

I suggest you send him the pic and tell him what you want.

( credit goes to bosshoss for the idea )

I chuck the bit and pilot bit into a drill press, do the 1st one by eye and then set the depth on the drill press , though - most the time I do them all by eye.

Use lots and lots of cutting oil while cutting.

Thanks for the tip ...

I worry when I have to use my Mark 1 eyeball caliper cause it is about as accurate as my shooting ... :eatdrink: