Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Falling Steel Load

SSGJohnV

Hi all,

My first foray into open division is starting soon when I shoot the southeast regional Pro Am in both limited and open. I will be receiving a 9mm Trubor this week and want to know what the general guidelines are for loading for falling steel.

I will most likely be using 124 grain Black Bullets and have the following powders on hand:

Autocomp

AA 7

VV N350

Silhouette

HS-6

I plan on using WSP primers and mixed cases as I have those on had.

I will of course do proper work up with a chronograph for when I want to shoot major PF, but am primarily worried about making sure I have a safe and effective load for falling steel at the pro am. What power factor should I aim for? Should I just work up to major and keep that load for everything?

I appreciate any input you can provide. Not trying to shoot any majors this year in open, as I am focused on limited this year, but want to do my due diligence for the right type of load for the application. Thanks.

-John

John, if you're shooting both minor and major, the problem is that they require different

sightings - you have to reset your sights for each.

Maybe not much, but at least a little.

Most people I know shoot just one load - keep it simple.

Plus, your Open gun will run better (Flatter) at a higher PF anyway. :cheers:

Now, if you have a backup Open gun, I've thought of setting each for a

different PF load (150 and 170, e.g.).

But, I haven't actually tried it yet. Just a thought.

Like Jack said the comp will actually work with a major load. The gun will feel better and probably run better as well and should be sprung fine as is.

Is this a brand new gun? If so you will want to run as many rounds through it as possible before going to a major event. Race guns ain't Glocks. They need broken in a little.:) Enjoy the thrill of open!

Sarge,

Its a lightly used Trubor. Reportedly runs great and has been tuned in the past to run great. I'm also purchasing the magazines that have been proven to work with the gun. I'll be shooting a couple hundred rounds out of it to get a feel for it/sight it in before the match, of course.

I look forward to the thrill. Did decently well in open at the Pro Am in Florida using my limited gun, but felt I could have taken top 10 with an open gun. Now we shall see if my limited skills transfer over to the "go even faster" division.

I have worked up minor loads for my open gun for steel, like the others have said, it will run flatter at major pf...I would just find a good major load and run that...Of the powders you listed, I have tried 3 of the 4 and I prefer AA7, been using it for several years now...around 9.5 grains for 9 major!

I'm mainly looking to shoot just the pro am in open, then try it out at smaller matches later. I think I'll work up a couple loads from 150-170 PF and see what I like. Probably will end up with major, but having to re-zero is not a deal breaker.

Thank you all for your input.

For me, the "higher pf is always flatter and thus better" mantra doesn't really hold. I took my 170 pf 9 major load with hs-6 and backed off about one grain. It's in the 150 pf range, still functions my gun fine, but is definitely softer in the hand and very fast to recover. That's what works for me.

I kind of noted what felt good as I worked up my major load and thus had a known to go to for pro ams.

Edited by theWacoKid

You have to hit steel. Get one load line it up and stick with it. I've had different loads at same pf move POI 6 inches at 25 yards. My preferred 9 major load is 7.7gr of Sihoutte, w 124gr MTG.. I shot black bullets and my drimmel got a workout taking the lead out of the comp, For black bullets drop .3 gr.

It was suggested from the previous owner and BBI to try WAC and 125's to make major so that's what I did. The test firing was done on an indoor range and I didn't notice anything extreme or hazy.

Oh, and my buddy has converted me to the dark side. I was already shooting Limited nationals with him, but now that I have an open gun he convinced me to shoot back to back LTD and OPEN. I'm gonna start calling him emperor palpatine.