Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger Course

CrashDodson

There is an upcoming Stoeger Course in my area "Competition fundamentals". Has anyone taken this class? I shoot top 10 at my local matches but I am looking for a way to improve. I have never had any formal training. The class is pricy, $450....just trying to decide if its worth the money.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not good enough to be on anyone's shooting team, so the class helped me. I could probably have figured out on my own some of the things to work on just by watching better shooters and analyzing video of my shooting and reading a bunch, but I think it went faster having someone who is very successful at training show me some ways that I could train better.

The question to ask is, is what you are currently doing working? Are you getting consistently better over time? Or have you plateaued in certain areas? Are there some things you just can't figure out how the good shooters do it? Can you briefly describe your current dryfire and live-fire program?

That price is what, 3 months worth of ammo? or half of the cost to attend one major match? Doesn't seem like much to me.

Edited by motosapiens

I paid $750 for a Top US open shooter. $450 is fine. Lol. Don't get my wrong I would do it again tomorrow.

$750 would be a stretch for me. I am trying to find out more of what is covered in his competition fundamentals class before I commit. They sell out fast though.

I've taken 2 classes with Ben & am bringing him out to my Club for a 3rd time this Janurary ... unless you're already a GM or routinely place in the top 3 at Area matches you'll learn enough in 2 days to keep you busy for the next year .....

I've taken 2 classes with Ben & am bringing him out to my Club for a 3rd time this Janurary ... unless you're already a GM or routinely place in the top 3 at Area matches you'll learn enough in 2 days to keep you busy for the next year .....

Thanks. I received an outline of the course and I think I can benefit. Definitley no GM.

Keep in mind he's the 5 time champ...

I have a limited shooting budget. I justified the course by skipping a large match. I think it was worth it. I came away knowing where my weaknesses where and how to work on fixing them. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts. You still need to out in the work.

Keep in mind he's the 5 time champ...

I have a limited shooting budget. I justified the course by skipping a large match. I think it was worth it. I came away knowing where my weaknesses where and how to work on fixing them. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts. You still need to out in the work.

Knowing your weaknesses and how to work on fixing them is a HUGE shortcut, but yeah, it's not a freebie. The good part is that next year your weaknesses will be different. Pretty much every match I go to I come away with something that needs some specific work. Since I'm a positive guy I also notice the many things that went perfectly, or that were significantly improved.

Ben discussed the topic of 'do you need a class' in one of his recent podcasts, btw. within the last few weeks, I'm pretty sure. but I'm old so my memory is failing.

Took his class a few months ago here in TX; great experience and well worth the money. Shooting his drills over two days, you'll quickly figure out what you need to work on. He and Kita kept things interesting - Ben would run us through a series of drills while Kita would set up a stage in the next bay. Then we'd move to the stage and Ben would explain stage strategy and breakdown; we'd run the stages a couple times each and Ben would critique our runs.

I've shot USPSA for many years and am high "A class" and I learned a lot from the course.

Took one of his classes last year, was worth every penny. He tells it like it is and does not sugar coat anything so don't be easily offended. He shows you technique and skill drills that will really help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just wrapped up a Skills and Drills class yesterday in Sac... Well worth the money. There were people of all skill levels and disciplines, and every one of us recognized the value of the class and took a lot of homework home with them. I would absolutely do it again, regardless of what skill level I thought I had reached by that time. It is an effective training class/ environment for sure.

I've taken the Fundamentals course once, and then the Fundamentals and Skills & Drills back-to-back. I would do it again.

Strong sauce. Ben is not just a champ, he travels the world constantly training people of varied backgrounds and skill levels. IMHO he has developed his training pRogram and skills much like he has developed his shooting skills. There is a difference between being a good shooter and being a good a trainer.

Ben can do both. Also, you will get far more value from hsi training materials after you have used them in practice. This is true for the Fundamentals class, but was especially clear to me in the Skills and Drills class.

Edited by Beastly

Im taking the Practical Shooting Fundamentals class in Feburary. That is the only one that is available. I have picked up his fundamental book, skills and drills and the dry fire book is on the way.

I would like to take the skills and drills class because today I find my self somewhat lost at the range as far as what I should be training on specifically.

I paid $750 for a Top US open shooter. $450 is fine. Lol. Don't get my wrong I would do it again tomorrow.

$750 would be a stretch for me. I am trying to find out more of what is covered in his competition fundamentals class before I commit. They sell out fast though.

$750 is huge stretch for me as well. I see it like I hope this is a one and done class. But as you and I know that's wish-full thinking. It's a start.