Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated 147gr FP & TiteGroup Load

ES13Raven

I checked out the 147 coated bullets from: Bayou, IbejiHeads, SNS, BBI, Blue, Black & Blue, Precision, Acme etc.

Most seem to have the same Flat Point design. A few do not have the lube groove.

What OAL and TiteGroup load will make about 130PF out of an SP-01 Shadow?

GQZMW1C.jpg

I'm using Bayou Bullets at 1.15 OAL and 3.2gr of TG. (For OAL reference I also use their 124gr TCG at 1.08 OAL. Both loads I did the bullet push/plunk method or whatever they call it and gave my self a .015 buffer.)

3.0 gr gave me a 128.2 PF

3.2 gr gave me a 135.3 PF

Temp during time of chronographing was 82.

I shoot for somewhere between 3.1 and 3.2.

I load SNS 147s at 1.13 with 3 grains TG 130PF.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

No lube groove ?

I forgot whether they changed the design or have always been no groove.

All NLG over the past year, at least.

Before that I was using plain lead.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Just for a comparison, I run 147 gr Xtreme bullets with 3.1gr of Titegroup for a comfortable 129pf.

at what OAL?

Hey Dave, I think it was 1.15 but I'll check tonight.

I also like running 700x because I seem to find it easier - that loads very similiar to Titegroup.

I run blue bullets 147FP at 1.095 OAL with 2.9 TG with a 132pf very accurate and very soft. Of all I have tried, I found that the blue bullets works best for me.

The issue I ran into with Blue Bullets was that if I dropped a mag in fine dust, the dust really stuck to the polymer and wasn't easily wiped off. That caused a couple of jams in my M&P which has a much more forgiving chamber in comparison to a CZ. With plated or other coatings, if a mag hits the dust I can wipe the bullets down when I wipe the mags down. After dropping a magazine, the Blue Bullets take too much wiping and usually feel rough on the outside.

I liked the Blue Bullets a lot. Straight from the box they shot really well and very soft loaded to ~130 PF compared to plated at ~130PF. Prices are great and Nathan is great to work with. Unfortunately, Texas is filled with dusty ranges so I'm trying out different coated offerings.

I use the SNS 147 coated NLG but I use WSF. Have some Titegroup that I might try sometime with this bullet and wondered if anyone notices more smoke with Titegroup than with other powders. Heard Titegroup burns pretty hot and curious how that affects Hi-Tek coated lead. BTW, 1.13" OAL with the SNS works great for me in all my 9s, including my shorter chamber CZs. Very good and accurate shooting bullet.

Edited by JLeeCZ

I use the SNS 147 coated NLG but I use WSF. Have some Titegroup that I might try sometime with this bullet and wondered if anyone notices more smoke with Titegroup than with other powders. Heard Titegroup burns pretty hot and curious how that affects Hi-Tek coated lead. BTW, 1.13" OAL with the SNS works great for me in all my 9s, including my shorter chamber CZs. Very good and accurate shooting bullet.

How don you like the WSF with coated bullets? What is your load?

How don you like the WSF with coated bullets? What is your load?

3.8gr@1.135 for 908FPS 20 shot avg. 133PF

Love the WSF but want to find a Titegroup load since I have some that won't get used otherwise.

Sounds like from what I have read, 3.0gr of Titegroup with this bullet is pretty popular.

After I posted, realized I may have WSF highjacked the thread. Not what was originally asked. Sorry Raven.

Edited by JLeeCZ

I just chrono graphed some blue bullet 147s with TG. 3.1 @132 pf with my cz and 135 out of my 1911.

Not counting the one that chronoed at 1345 199pf...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Edited by G T

After I posted, realized I may have WSF highjacked the thread. Not what was originally asked. Sorry Raven.

You should indeed feel deep shame.

Now if you had said something comparing results with Clays or Clay Dot or Bulls eye, or had asked if anyone had also chrono'd the loads in a LS, that would be ok.

All that said, since the WSF data is an interesting option in these days of uncertain powder availability (and the original question has been pretty well covered) , I can be forgiving, don't know about Raven though.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Finally got around to doing something useful.

Loading 147 s & n coated at 1.135, had run some 1.14 - 1.145 loads with no issues but I prefer the safety margin.

75 degrees f.

3.0 titegroup in an SP01 (not a shadow) gave me 866, 873, 855, 864.

Same load in a LS gave me 877,876,841,888. I expected to see more of a difference.

2.8 in an LS gave me 814, 832, 859, 853, 825, 844 did not try any in the SP.

Oh, for reference 850.3 fps = 125 pf.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

• 2 weeks later...