Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing dot on draw

blacklab

OK I could use a little help here. Yesterday I was practicing drawing and dry firing. Everything was perfect, I'd bring the gun up and my grip felt right and the dot was on the steel every time. Today I went to a match and every time I'd draw my grip felt right, but my dot was nowhere to be found. So there I stood bobbing my gun until I found the dot. Once I had the sight picture everything went ok, I just had a horrible time finding the dot on the draw. I keep going over this in my mind and can't figure out what I was doing wrong today. Anyone have any suggestions what I should be looking for. (sorry never thought to have someone video it)

Edited by blacklab

Sounds like your grip on the gun changes between dry fire practice and match shooting. You may not notice it but even after you do acquire the dot it may have been hard keep it on recoil. Not as noticeable on steel but more noticeable on double taps.

I've had the same problem in the past. To solve it, first I practice just getting a very consistent grip on the gun.In dry fire practice, I do this will all sorts of starting positions. Surrender, hands at side, hands held straight out at different angles and even table starts. If once I've mastered it in dry fire and it flares up at the match, I force myself to slow down a bit. When I grab the gun, I may hesitate a bit just to make sure I have "the grip".

On my draw, I bring the gun up a little closer to my chest up to eye level and then stab the gun towards the target. As soon as I see the dot on the target I let loose a round, even if my arms are not fully extended.

Hope this make sense.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Very common problem, when you first start using a dot.

Plagued me for my first year.

It takes practice , practice, and practice.

Little tricks include:

1. raise muzzle slightly higher than the target and bring it down slowly - the dot usually apprears

2. I use the small knob (light intensity knob) on the top of the sight as a reference point

But, lots of dry fire really makes the problem go away. :cheers:

blacklab, no problem.

It really helped me out when I practiced / dry fired with the full weight of the gun.

I started to see more consistency when drawing and finding the dot.

However, once in a while, I still do lose it. Like Hi-Power Jack said , practice practice practice.

Just the thought of "look for the dot" would make you lose it.

Look at your target and aim the gun. The dot should appear. If not, repeat until it does. But never ever think "look for the dot".

A very BE perspective that I'm just beginning to comprehend.

Just curious, when you lose and then find the dot on the draw is it "hiding" in the same place every time or is it in a random position? Losing the dot in the same position each time would give a clue as to where the breakdown in form occurs. For example a high dot may indicate a lack of wrist rotation or...

You are probably rushing to get the sight picture at the match. Driving the gun out hard towards the target causes a lot of movement. You might even be pushing the gun down past your line of sight.

What are you thinking about at the start? Are you trying to horse the draw? If you are thinking about a speedy draw things can go wrong. I am not suggesting you try to slow it down but just let it happen don't try to force it.

Keep up the dry fire but I bet this is more of a trying too hard issue.

it's common guys used to irons are holding the gun too high and or pointing the muzzle down a little so dot is outside of the glass. muzzle up a touch as you punch out is not a bad tip to help in the short term but the long term solutoin is practice it in dryfire. I'm not a massive dry fire guy (probably why I suck) but one thing I did dry fire the shit out of was draws with my first dot gun. it helped me build a really solid index that meant I just look at target and have an 'awareness' of the dot. on longer target my focus does shift a little back to the dot.

you may still find in odd positions, sitting, leaning around barricades etc it will take a bit longer to become super consistent in your head position vs the dot but you'll get there.

some dry fire draws really helped me a lot to (mostly) avoid having to do the cmore shuffle.

it's funny when watching an open shooter run a stage. suddenly he hits a position but there's no pew-pew happening. people kind of look and see him doing the old 'roll the muzzle around' trick, they look at each other with that knowing look and say 'yep, lost the dot'..... happens to us all sometimes.

maybe we are all 100% and it's our dots randomly switching off and back on??? :)