Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference PF training vs. match (9mm open)?

scuba31

One load for practice and match day for consistency. Changing PF will affect the recoil impulse, dot tracking, and possible recoil spring weight if the loads are far enough apart. Most open shooters will have a preferred powder, bullet, and oal; and will only change if forced by lack of availability. This doesn't mean that load experimentation doesn't occur at some point in time, but for the most part when you find a load that works the comp & feels good in the hand you stick with it.

Exactly what he said. One Major load for everything, and it only varies if for some reason I can't get something. I have a hot minor load that I only use for steel matches, but otherwise all my practice and matches are with the same load.

Consistency and no worries about functioning or the chrono go a long way on match day.

for 9 major I just reach into my huuuuuuge box for training

for matches I only shoot CBC, GFL, Geco brass

For me open with 9 major is a lot about timeing and impuleses, so shooting different ammo doesnt make sense.

Edited by ano

I cant see how you can save money on dif loadings

I buy frontier 124gr match bullets in bulk, last time I bought like 2 TONS (2000KG) of frontier

I score primers in bulk cheap when I can

powder is always cheap and available for us where I live, so that snot an issues.

Im one of 2 rangemasters at one of the clubs here.. so brass is free for onetime fired, its also indoor facility, so no damage to it.

Ok thanks to all. It seems one load for everything is what most people do.

Of course, the consequences of different loads are clear. My motivation to do that still is not hammering the equipment as hard during 95% of the shots (training) with major load pressures. At the moment, I load my training ammo to 140 and match ammo to 165. POI impact differences not too bad (1 inch vertically), and yes of course there's some difference in felt recoil (but match ammo actually better: harder kick, but more backwards than upwards for obvious reasons).

If the gun is built right it will last a long time with major loads. I only shoot major through any of my Open gun and usually I am up around 172-175pf. My old Millenium Custom gun spent most of its life shooting at old power factor levels which meant I was above 180pf (so did my EGW Caspian and my P9 in 9x21 too

Ok, let's try to quantify: will a proper 2011 last > 100k rounds major, or maybe > 200k? With minor loads, those levels should be reachable no problem. Or rather: who has run their guns in major only to those levels and can report about outcome?

Edited by scuba31

Ok thanks to all. It seems one load for everything is what most people do.

Of course, the consequences of different loads are clear. My motivation to do that still is not hammering the equipment as hard during 95% of the shots (training) with major load pressures. At the moment, I load my training ammo to 140 and match ammo to 165. POI impact differences not too bad (1 inch vertically), and yes of course there's some difference in felt recoil (but match ammo actually better: harder kick, but more backwards than upwards for obvious reasons).

I'm going to assume you're shooting Limited (or single stack) because your experience wouldn't make any sense in Open. Compensators take a certain amount of gas to work, and the difference in feel would be huge with an Open gun.