Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What distance does everyone zero at ?

assaultthesalt

Starting up on some 2 gun.....where is everyone zeroing their rifle at ( distance )?I will probably only shoot out to 200yrds at my local matches.Most target will be within 50yrds though. Thanks for replies. Oh, I'm running a 16" 223 Wylde chambered barrel w/ 1/8 twist shooting Freedom Munitions 55grn new manufactured ammo ...optics = AR Optics 1x4 BDC reticle

Edited by assaultthesalt

50/200 zero. Zero at 50 and then fine tune zero at 200. It depends on ammo and barrel length but there will not be much difference between the 50 yard zero and 200 yard zero. But I want mine dead on at 200 since all my holds for beyond 200 yards are based off of a 200 yard zero.

50yds.

For my ammo and scope height, this works out to be within an inch at 200yds and I find that having everything from 75 to 175yds be +1–2 inches aligns nicely with many MDs' favorite offhand rifle shooting distances; it's basically point-and-click from 25–225yds that way.

I could zero at 200 and get basically the same results, but I just find that zeroing at 50 is easier in terms of (1) seeing the groups when I am zeroing and (2) minimizing wind effects when I zero. Also, I have more options for where to zero (including a couple of indoor places) when I need to check or re-establish zero.

This is for Tac/Ops. If I shot Limited, I would zero at 300yds, most likely, and deal with hold-unders up close.

When using 55s, I zero at 200 since I have a BDC reticle calibrated for it. When using 77s, I zero at 230, which makes the Miculek reticle in my scope (razor 1-6hd)closest on all hold-overs to 500 yds. Works out to 319, 406, 494 (for the 300-400-500 yd hash marks) with heavies, so I can use dead-on holds out to 500 on the big targets we use for 3gun. I also know that it is one 1/2moa click between the 55 and 77gr zeros with the ammo I use, and both are marked on my turret. Worked well enough at Ironman to impress the ROs with my shooting on the long range stages.

BTW, you might want to chrono the Freedom ammo. All the 55gr stuff I have shot from them only did a little over 2800 out of a 16" barrel. Not near what they claim. It is enough to make XM193 ballistic charts fail past 300. Won't hurt you at the 200yard-and-less you are shooting now, but will kill you in a major with long targets

I'd say at whatever distance your BDC reticle says it should be zero'ed at in the manual, then find/pick/load an ammo that actually matches it.

With a Razor 1-6, I zero at 200 and 68gr bullets moving 2850 match the BDC or so close as to not matter.

i was running 50/200 up in PA when I was there and really worked well, since most stuff was pretty close. If I get serious about shooting again now in Texas, I'll probably go with a 300 zero. The more I read about it, the more that makes sense. Anything inside 300 yards you'll be a little low. seems like the least amount of worry about hold over/under. Only shots over 300 will need some dialing in.

I run a Trijicon with Chevron Reticle, so no hold hash marks for me. Just the tip :surprise:

25/300 on the rifles with Eotechs, always biased for the 300 yard gong at the home club. This works well for bay stages and the only long range steel at our club.

The Burris Tac 30s on the other rifles are zeroed for 500 yards on the furthest BDC point, with 400 and 300 near perfect, while the 200 and 100 are off a bit. This usually works anyway since match directors around here like to park the microscopic poppers on the ends of bays at those ranges and the 100 yard Burris dot mostly obscures them if they are exact.

Vlad hit the nail on the head. If you have a BDC reticle then zero at whatever distance the scope manufacturer recommends. Zeroing at any other distance would make your BDC useless.

Well, I think useless is a little strong. Give me a reticle and some zeroing data, and I can have Strelok+ tell me exactly what any given stadia line on that reticle means for any given load. It may be sub-optimal to have a 342yd hash mark, but that doesn't make it useless.