Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Carry Optics start date?

kamikaze1a

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the announcement and searched but did not find a start date. Does that mean that this division is active now?

Yes, we shot it for the first time August 22nd and the scores uploaded no problem

Edited by zhunter

I shot CO at our club match 8/30 but my MD appreciated the heads up I gave him ahead of time that I wanted to try it, he had to figure out how to score and upload it. (which he said was not difficult).

Eric

Edited by eric4069

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?Carry-Optics-provisional-division-announced-214

I still don't understand the restriction to slide optics only. Is it about the holster?

USPSA:

"The division rules will stay very restrictive to avoid the potential "arms race" and will keep the requirements strictly in line with industry offerings."

??? Edited by Niltreth

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?Carry-Optics-provisional-division-announced-214

I still don't understand the restriction to slide optics only. Is it about the holster?

USPSA:

"The division rules will stay very restrictive to avoid the potential "arms race" and will keep the requirements strictly in line with industry offerings."

???

It's more about keeping a level playing field. A frame mounted dot will absolutely perform better than the slide mounted one. The stock offerings from industry and what most would choose for an optic enabled "carry" gun is slide mounted so I think restricting to that method is appropriate.

A frame mounted dot will absolutely perform better than the slide mounted one.

Not sure. But at (minimum)$300+ for a slide optic + mounting hardware it's too much for me.

Oh well, back to the plan of shooting a Production 9mm(Minor) gun w/(rail)mounted $99 optic in Open against "major caliber" (but compensated)Raceguns. That disadvantage will force me to become a better shooter anyway.

Edited by Niltreth

Not sure. But at (minimum)$300+ for a slide optic + mounting hardware it's too much for me
Oh the irony!! This pet division is supposedly based on its affordability compared to Open.

So, now what? Another division for those that can't afford CO? Just keep watering it down so everyone can play? I guess rim fire is next

Not sure. But at (minimum)$300+ for a slide optic + mounting hardware it's too much for me
Oh the irony!! This pet division is supposedly based on its affordability compared to Open.

So, now what? Another division for those that can't afford CO? Just keep watering it down so everyone can play? I guess rim fire is next

The attack continues. $300 sounds like the price for a good big stick in Open.

However, again, this is not about a low cost alternative to Open. Some people have no interest in Open division but would like a practical, optic equipped gun to shoot.

Show me on the doll where CO touched you? You have really been extremely rude throughout this process and I am surprised that it continues now that it is a provisional division. If it's really the dumb idea that you say it is then it will die.

Hello: Carry Optics will end up like production where you have to have an expensive pistol so you think you can win. What is a CZ Shadow based pistol with a slide mounted optic installed going to cost $2200? I vote make it a 10 round limit and slide mounted optic. That way you can run any guns like revolver, production based, STI 2011 based whatever you want. Don't pretend it will be cheaper to shoot than open but an option for others to shoot a gun they may have already. If you have a Glock, M&P, S&W 929 or even an old 1911 they can all play in this division. Thanks, Eric

The attack continues. $300 sounds like the price for a good big stick in Open.

However, again, this is not about a low cost alternative to Open. Some people have no interest in Open division but would like a practical, optic equipped gun to shoot.

Show me on the doll where CO touched you? You have really been extremely rude throughout this process and I am surprised that it continues now that it is a provisional division. If it's really the dumb idea that you say it is then it will die.

Saying some people don't want to shoot open but want to shoot a dot doesn't make sense.

Disagreeing with the BOD's decision to test a new division isn't rude. Neither is being honest and saying what others are thinking. I'm not sure I have called CO dumb . Just unnecessary when a division already exists for it

Sarge is a hater, but that's ok. Time will tell whether is he right or wrong.

He often calls Production Optics (CO), Welfare Open. Well, the cost of the gun is often under $600, mine was under $500, Open guns are 10 times that amount. The majority of Open shooters in my area shoot either 38 Super or 38 Super Comp, both are very expensive to feed and tedious at best to reload with oftentimes compressed loads. 9 Major is certainly a dicey load with powder flying everywhere when running the press. My 9mm loads are inexpensive and simple. Sure the dot is not cheap, mine was about $500, the mount was $45.

Yep, I'm saving a lot of money and getting the fun of shooting a dot. Let me assure anyone who cares, money had nothing to do with my wanting to shoot Production Optics. I simply wanted to be able to enjoy shooting again, I say again becuase my eyes had gotten to the point I could not clearly see my front sight. I can score a target without glasses at 15 yards most of the time, but the front sight was fuzzy at best. I also had no interest in dealing with the BS of running an Open gun, that being the loading and the noise just to name two. So as for Welfare Open, call it what you want, I laugh at it to be honest. I really don't feel compelled to spend a lot of money to feel good about myself, I'm pretty comfortable as is, but by all means spend the money if you feel the need.

There are a lot of good reasons to embrace shooting a production gun with a dot, no it won't be for everyone but so far it has been a lot of fun for my wife and I.

Edited by zhunter

Communication for this new division has been terrible. I MD one of our local matches. We've had to search online forums or facebook to get any info about uploading scores for this new division. USPSA has the email addresses for MD's and approved uploaders. They could have easily sent out a document outlining how to do all this instead of burying small articles on the web page. They released a new EZwin version, but we had to find that ourselves too.

Carry Optics still DOES NOT show up on anybody's classification page yet. It will show up in the match scores now that we figured out how to upload them, but their classifers won't count until USPSA actually gets the web page updated. It is extremely easy to pay for classifiers though. They at least make sure they can get their money.

I've sent this exact same message to my Area Director and USPSA's office.

Communication for this new division has been terrible. I MD one of our local matches. We've had to search online forums or facebook to get any info about uploading scores for this new division. USPSA has the email addresses for MD's and approved uploaders. They could have easily sent out a document outlining how to do all this instead of burying small articles on the web page. They released a new EZwin version, but we had to find that ourselves too.

Carry Optics still DOES NOT show up on anybody's classification page yet. It will show up in the match scores now that we figured out how to upload them, but their classifers won't count until USPSA actually gets the web page updated. It is extremely easy to pay for classifiers though. They at least make sure they can get their money.

Excellent points! I hadn't thought about paying the fees for absolutely nothing in return. Thank goodness nobody local has wanted to try it yet

The marketing has been terrible. USPSA should have partnered with all the manufacturers of these guns and showcased some examples of the equipment, ads in various shooting magazines, write-ups in Front Sight etc.

There has been a lot of criticism of USPSA when it comes to BOD minutes being published in a timely manner but this is one instance where a delay would have been warranted, once the decision to go with a provisional division had been made, USPSA should have gotten to their ducks in a row before announcing it. The scoring mechanism, HHF's, marketing, promotion etc. should have been figured out before the formal announcement.

Competitors at the CO State match were asking me about the gun I was shooting and had no idea that Carry Optics had been announced (I had to compete as Open/Minor at the match as its a level 2), heck there are people on this forum who were not aware of it.

USPSA needs a marketing plan, not just for Carry Optics but the whole sport.

Excellent points! I hadn't thought about paying the fees for absolutely nothing in return. Thank goodness nobody local has wanted to try it yet

We've had a couple people shoot CO. One was even a classifier match. Somebody called USPSA to ask about the classifiers not showing under Carry Optics, and they said it SHOULD show up in October.