Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intermittent light primer strike?

Doc10mm

I have a W.B. Custom open gun in 38 super. This is my backup gun but if I could get it running well it would be my primary gun. About one out of thirty rounds does not go bang. Inspection of the primer show some with light strike, some with off center firing pin strikes, and one with no visible strike at all. When I fired them again, they all went bang. I've been using cheap armscor for practice but I don't want to necessarily blame the ammo. Obviously my first task will be to detail strip and clean

Does this sound like a firing pin or firing pin spring problem?

You might try a bit heavier recoil spring. I just spoke to someone recently that said they were having similar problems and solved it with a heavier recoil spring.

It seems the gun was slightly short of going into battery. Far enough to allow the disconnector to connect and allow dropping the hammer, but the hammer was hitting the bottom edge of the slide (firing pin stop) and losing energy. It completed closing the slide, but lacked enough to adequately strike the firing pin.

Guy

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try the recoil spring first. I'll let you know how it works.

And I'm not insinuating anything at all about your gun maintenance but clean the heck out of it too. There may be a glob of gloop or something somewhere it shouldn't be. That was a hard lesson I learned when going to an open 2011 from a Glock 34. These high performance guns need to be well maintained to run their best. I think I only cleaned my glock once a year! lol

I completely agree Sarge. I ran an experiment to see how low I could shoot my Glock 19 without cleaning and gave up and cleaned it after 5000 rounds just because. I'll detail strip it and let you know.

I ran into the same problem when I tried a Ti firing pin. If I kept the FP channel spotlessly clean, it worked until it got dirty again. I cleaned, then polished the OD, switched back to a steel firing fine and didn't lube it. No problems since.

High primers or rounds which won't chamber properly can cause this. I run all my match rounds through a chamber checker.

Rounds which won't chamber I mark and put aside for either practice or pulling and discarding the case depending on the severity.