Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of trying coated bullets in .45

JJP161

So after so many recommendations to try coated bullets I am thinking of trying .45 200 SWC. I will be shooting them through NY Ruger SR1911 and my Glock 41. So I am concerned about leading in the Glock? So I have it narrowed down to ACME, Blue and Blacks? So what is the most accurate and consistent? Right now I have the following powders: W231, Bullseye, Unique, power pistol.thank you

For me, the most accurate (<1.5" at 25 yards) have been Precision Bullets' swaged and coated bullets. They are as consistent in weight and dimensions as jacketed bullets. Their 200gn L-SWC is slightly more accurate than any cast bullet I have tested--except, maybe, for my own cast bullets from the RCBS 452-201-SWC mold. It is right there with Zero's swaged 200gn L-SWC.

Edited by noylj

I use 200gr SWC from Ibejiheads witn N320. Very accurate, fast, and clean. Have loaded and shot tens of thousands and could not be more pleased with them. Plus you can pick different colors, but i am partial to the "happy" blue ones.

I have enjoyed very good accuracy with both BBI 200 SWC and ACME 200 SWC using Bullseye, Clays & Unique. I prefer to load the ACME's due to the lack of a lube groove. Accuracy as well as consistency was good with both, though.

JJP161, like I said in your other thread about Xtreme bullets, I have had the best accuracy out of the Blue Bullets no groove 200gr SWC. That being said I still get very good accuracy out of just about every other coated SWC, like Acme, Lucky13, SNS, and others. Just for whatever reason the blue bullets are just a tick better. It may come down to which one your particular pistol likes the best.

BTW, I love the Oak Island/Southport area, so quaint and peaceful, would make a good place to retire.

I have had very good results from Bayou Bullets coated 200SWC using 3.0 to 4.0g of Bullseye in my Colt Gold Cup Trophy, EAA Witness Limited and FNX45's. No leading, very accurate, no smoke, excellent service, fast shipping!

Thank you everyone for all the great information. So it sounds like in general I can expect better accuracy with the coated bullets over plated bullets and that the 200 grain SWC is the most accurate of any of the coated bullets for the most part.

So with that said what is the lube groove and what do you have to do to load bullets with a lube groove?

Dave 33, funny you should mention that we will probably retire to Oak Island area in the next 5 to 10 years. Then I will be eating shrimp at provisions every night

Don't worry about the lube groove.

When loaded to 1.250", which is pretty common, there will only be about .030" of shoulder out beyond the case.

You'll need to check to make sure they are not touching the rifling at that length, but it's a good starting place.

Edited by TDA

Thank you everyone for all the great information. So it sounds like in general I can expect better accuracy with the coated bullets over plated bullets and that the 200 grain SWC is the most accurate of any of the coated bullets for the most part.

So with that said what is the lube groove and what do you have to do to load bullets with a lube groove?

Dave 33, funny you should mention that we will probably retire to Oak Island area in the next 5 to 10 years. Then I will be eating shrimp at provisions every night

That sounds like a plan, provisions is great. A couple of years before you do retire you should put your application in at Buccaneer gun club, we always have a waiting list and it can take some time but its the best gun club anywhere around, has something for everyone.

As far as the lube groove goes, dont worry about it. Traditional cast lead bullets had to be cast with the groove for lubrication, the new coatings take the place of the wax lube and dont need the groove but many bullet makers have the older molds with the groove still in them. Doesnt change the way you load them at all, and there is no difference in performance. One bullet maker told me the reason you see no groove bullets today is because they are easier to coat without it, less angles to work around. Some probably think the longer bearing surface may help accuracy, and it may, but probably not enough in a pistol to notice.

Dave33 thank you for the heads up on the Buccaneer Gun Club, I will definitely take your advice and submit my app a couple of years ahead of time. What an awesome club you guys have. I may have to retire early just to be able to become a member sooner.

Also thanks for the info on the groove, I have only load plated or jacketed pistol rounds. So speaking of Wilmington what are the best gun and reloading stores in the area. I always stop in Shooters Choice and Backwater? Thank you again.

Joe

There's not a really good reloading supply place in Wilmington, several stores carry a few things but nobody really stocks well. Eastern Outfitters in hampstead is about the best and there's a little country store in Rocky Point that has about the best powder selection. Our club has a club store that members can order through at good prices but up until recently even our supplier didn't have anything to order. As far as gun shops shooters choice is where I usually buy as I live close to them and their prices are about as good as anywhere else. I have found Backwater to be about the highest priced around. There is a guy in hampstead that does $15 transfers so I use that option also for Internet purchases.

When you start reloading coated bullets, you may need to adjust your dies to flair the mouth a tad more than what you have been doing with jacketed or plated. It's also important to keep the coated bullet as straight up as possible entering the seating die so as to not shave the coating. A light crimp, really no more than taking the bell out of the case will do. You may already know all this but thought I would mention it just in case. Loaded properly coated bullets are great.

JJP161, like I said in your other thread about Xtreme bullets, I have had the best accuracy out of the Blue Bullets no groove 200gr SWC. That being said I still get very good accuracy out of just about every other coated SWC, like Acme, Lucky13, SNS, and others. Just for whatever reason the blue bullets are just a tick better. It may come down to which one your particular pistol likes the best.

Just finished checking out Blue Bullets. I think that is going to be my next purchase. PLUS they give a 5% discount to members of this forum. See Blue Bullets web page for instructions.

• 6 months later...

I know this post is almost a year later than the original post but you may want to try coating your own .it's not difficult I'll post some photos and I'll put up a link on the cast bullet website there's a lot there that can be learned about coating your own bullets.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

The photo is a shake and bake method,230 gr lee mold with HF powder.

Smokes powder is much better though.

post-50519-0-37049400-1457444830_thumb.j

Edited by mannparks