Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 231/HP38 Being Phased Out

Santini

I am told this is a simply another gunshop rumor:

The powder has not been discontinued nor have we been told that I going to be discontinued.

Thanks, I was suspicious of the original post but refrained from commenting. I have plenty of W231 and see it (and HP-38) locally with regularity.

I have heard nothing that would make me believe we are on the verge of losing W231/HP-38, but I do think that availability will continue to be an issue. As far as alternative powders go Titegroup, Universal, CFE Pistol in the Hodgdon line and AutoComp in the Winchester line would be the powders I would consider.

Dave Campbell

Customer Service Representative

Hodgdon Powder Company

6430 Vista Drive

Shawnee, KS 66218

913-362-9455 Ext. 117

dcampbell@hodgdon.com

-----Original Message-----

From: administrator@hodgdon.com [mailto:administrator@hodgdon.com] On Behalf Of JClark

Sent: Monday, August 17, 2015 1:22 PM

To: Help Account

Subject: Form submission from: Contact

Submitted on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 1:21pm Submitted by anonymous user: [68.34.128.176] Submitted values are:

Name:

Message: I understand W231/HP38 are being phased out - what powder do you offer for the same niche - it is a wonderfully versatile powder for me from 9mm to 44 Mag - great with lead or jacketed. Others work but not quite as well in my applications.

The results of this submission may be viewed at:

Edited by Solvability

I too was concerned and e-mail Hodgdon.

Glad it was merely a rumor. And I appreciate the timely response.

"I have heard nothing that would make me believe we are on the verge of losing W231/HP-38, but I do think that availability will continue to be an issue. I can assure you W231/ HP-38 will continue to be in the Hodgdon / Winchester product lines.

Mike Daly was mistaken."

Dave Campbell

Customer Service Representative

Hodgdon Powder Company

6430 Vista Drive

Shawnee, KS 66218

Poor guy had everyone trying to get the same information. The original story just didn't make any sense. So waht if it is harder to make, you price the product accordingly. If you can make another product 3x faster than you canmake another product, the price should reflect that difference. People will either migrate to the cheaper product or continue to pay a premium price, either of which will make the company money.

You don't see Lexus claiming they are going to discontinue their line of vehicles and start an economy line because the Lexus line takes longer to produce and costs more money.

Got a call yesterday morning from the reloading shop I deal with. I had asked them to be on the lookout for any HP-38/231 for me and the owner told me he always has it on his order request but hasn't gotten any since earlier this year. They received a big shipment of powder yesterday and had 4 8# jugs of HP-38 and said they would hold one for me. I went over there yesterday afternoon and got 1. They had already sold 1 and had a good selection of other powders in stock. I asked why they got 8# jugs and they said it was all they could get at this point. I now have about 10# of HP-38 and 4# of 231 so that should last me a while. Glad they aren't discontinuing it but that kind of talk makes me nervous.

BaggerJoe,

Per the Manufacture, they are SLOWLY PHASING IT OUT, as the

newer replacement powders they're making take hold

in the marketplace, they are producing

less and less of W-231/HP38 .

Better keep your eyes pealed for some more if you use a bunch,

eventually it will be extinct, the newer powders are faster and cheaper

to produce production wise,$$$$$ increased corporate profit,

not LOWER CONSUMER PRICES.

Saw 3 pounds on the shelf yesterday. Grabbed one and left the other two for others.

Local place seems to have plenty in stock these days. All Alliant stuff, WST, WSF, 700x, 800x, HP38, CFE Pistol, and probably a few others I am forgetting. All mixed between 1's, 4's, and 8's.

For 2016 my powder shopping list is:

8 pounds HP-38

8 pounds WST

4 pounds N320

Other stuff:

15K Federal SP primers

25K assorted plated bullets in 9mm, 38 and 45

And that's it for the whole year.

Edited by firewood

I fortunately scored an 8 lb jug of HP-38 a few months ago and am using it for both 40S&W as well as 45ACP. Personally, I liked Power Pistol a little better but I'm getting used to the HP-38. On a side note, I was at the Richmond gun show this past weekend and saw more powder there than I have for the last 2 years. Even saw an 8 lb jug of Bullseye there, a powder that until now was like looking for Unicorns. Looks like we are coming out of the shortage. Of course, the prices are way up from what they were 2 years ago but at least, we can buy it.

Doug, I assume you are on the East Coast? What are you paying for a jug? I think my 8 pounder of HP38 was like $140 with tax and the single I bought the other day was $23 plus tax. Strange enough, the 231 Winchester which is the same thing costs $10 more per 8 than the HP38. The Bullseye is cheap here, I think $21 a pound and like $130 per 8. I'm amazed when I go to the gun shows here and every single thing they sell is more expensive than what I pay at the local place. The only exception is the coated bullets one guy sells, but even he is more expensive than just buying from Blue Bullets or one of the other guys.

Have a show this weekend to go to so I'm hoping to find a couple good deals on Wilson Combat magazines, brass, or maybe even nice new Colt 1911. Powder is never cheap at the shows and very few people have primers any more. Those that have them are priced higher than what I buy the Federal Gold for. The one thing I can count on is the guy seling me .45 brass for $30/750. Already tumbled too, but mixed size primers. I only wish I had some idea if any of the mfgs were coming out with new promotions. The usual free magazines easily add a hundred bucks of savings on to a purchase.