Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone re-use un-shot de-capped primers?

igolfat8

I have a few bad rounds that I have to pull apart and discard the brass due to case head bulges. Anyone ever re-use the primers after they are de-capped? I have never tried it and always thought the de-capping process probably ruined them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do after looking to make sure the anvil is still in the primer, never had an ignition failure with one after it/they passed the "anvil" test.

What is the "Anvil" test?

Just make sure the anvil is still in place.

HP Jack,

I understand your concern and you raise a very valid safety issue. I have removed many live primers without incident ... but ... that certainly doesn't make it right or 100% safe. How do you dispose of live primers since its illegal to simply put them in your local trash pick up?

Okay, I'll be the only dissent. :surprise:

I would NEVER, under any circumstances, take a chance on

removing a live primer. :ph34r:

Just not worth it - they're not that expensive. :cheers:

There are many reports on primers exploding in the reloaders - yet that doesn't stop most of us from reloading.

Even if a single primer explodes while you are pushing it out, that is a far less dramatic event than the whole tube of them.

But everyone should, of course, do what he is comfortable with. The question was: "Do you re-use the primers?" Clearly, many responded with a Yes.

And to me it is not really the cost issue, but my lifelong tradition of not throwing away good stuff.

Edited by Foxbat

HP Jack,

I understand your concern and you raise a very valid safety issue. I have removed many live primers without incident ... but ... that certainly doesn't make it right or 100% safe. How do you dispose of live primers since its illegal to simply put them in your local trash pick up?

When I get a mangled primer, I simply put it on my anvil and hit it with a hammer.

HP Jack,

When I get a mangled primer, I simply put it on my anvil and hit it with a hammer.

That makes perfect sense to me.

I have been saving a few pulled (good) primers so I will give them a try in practice ammo.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Okay, I'll be the only dissent. :surprise:

I would NEVER, under any circumstances, take a chance on

removing a live primer. :ph34r:

Just not worth it - they're not that expensive. :cheers:

2nd dissenting opinion .... I would never remove a live primer from a piece of brass .... I assume all of you who do this always wear safety glasses when you reload?

2nd dissenting opinion .... I would never remove a live primer from a piece of brass .... I assume all of you who do this always wear safety glasses when you reload?

Safety glasses should be mandatory during the reload... in my case it is automatic, as I can't see much withoot them. :(

If you want to throw primed brass away safely you can soak it in water to neutralize the primer.

It is the common idea, but there have been reports that soaking in water or WD-40 doesn't work, as the primers have protective film on them.

I have not tried that myself, but people have, and they reported negative results. I might try it too.

^^^

Soaking live primers in water will temporarily render them unusable....but when they dry out they will go off just fine.

A while back I tried this and found that after soaking (and while still wet) they were 100% duds. I then dried them out and had 100% successful ignition.

Not sure what WD40 or penetrating oil might do.

edit to add: Yeah, I'll gently decap live primers and use them again.

As for safely glasses...never ever reload without them, and make sure anybody in the area has them, too.

Edited by Bamboo

Before leaving for work I dropped a primer in a cup of water and another in a cup of acetone, I'll smack them both with a hammer tonight.

I did a very VERY DUMB thing a few years ago and stored 10,000 primers in a glass quart Mason in hopes of conserving storage space. I found out that is was EXTREMELY DANGEROUS so NEVER EVER try this!!!!!

I contacted the OEM and the safety engineer walked me through the steps of dealing with the situation. He said to soak the primers in water until the water turned green. ONLY at this point were the primers safe and fully neutralized. It took SEVERAL days before the water turned green so I doubt that one day will neutralize yours so be careful.

FWIW, The OEM engineer told me that if a single pack of [100] primers were to detonate simultaneously that this event was the equivalent power of one stick of dynamite.

Edited by igolfat8