Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 1911 357-Sig: Anyone have one?

Scrmblr

I am very interested with anyone's experiences with the Sig Sauer 1911 in .357-Sig. I have several pistols in that caliber, and I like the round. Since I have a commitment to the caliber, I'd rather have a 1911 in .357-Sig than other available calibers (I have a 1911-A1 in .45-ACP that doesn't get shot much at all). I'm already shooting Production with a P320 and I'd like to try Single Stack before I dive wallet first into Limited or Open.

What I know (or think I know) so far...

-Sig 1911 in .357-SIg uses .40 1911 8-10rd magazines

-Can make Major with certain loads, Minor with most.

-Uses most Series 80 1911 parts, except extractor.

-Some models have slides that don't conform to mainstream 1911 holsters.

Anything I'm missing that I should know? Please don't hate on .357-Sig in your replies (or at least make your comments amusing), I know it's not for everyone, and you might not understand my affinity for it, but it's what I use.

Thanks!

min cal for major is 40 (in SS, L, and L10).

Ah thanks! Was thinking it shot close to some loads of .38-Super but forgot that it was Open division specific. The Sig Team has used some .357-Sig in a few Open guns I think.

I can't imagine that it would be difficult at all to make major with .357 Sig since it was designed to duplicate .357 Mag performance. Even the downloaded current factory 125 grain loads make 168 PF, I know you can beat that with handloads. I don't know how pleasurable it would be to shoot in SS though. I do know that unless you already have a ton of brass it would be pretty pricey to run. I'm thinking it's not going to be a very good route to go or it would already be being widely used. Don't think I'm knocking the caliber, I like it really well, I just don't think it's good in competition is all.

Edited by Shadowrider

357-Sig isn't a $ or supply problem for me. But other calibers are, hence my preference. I have tons of brass for it if end up hand loading, but for now I'm good.

Edited by Scrmblr

IPSC allows for .357 Sig for major in all Divisions, as I don't shoot USPSA I won't comment, we have a few guy's here in Australia using it in Classic mostly in "parts guns" as no one is bringing in .357 Sig factory gun's except 1 dealer and that was only very recently. They shoot Sig only because only one state in Aust allows .45 for IPSC Classic ( don't get me started on that)

Edited by terrydoc

Although it is cool and I like cool stuff, I would go for a .40 instead and get a spare barrel in 10mm or vice versa because I like 10mm

Reasons against the .357 sig:

-it probably recoils harder than .40 cal for major loads

-brass is more expensive

-it is necked down brass

-it doesn't even use the same diam bullets as 9mm luger unless I am wrong/there is some work around like people making barrels for .40/9mm rather than true .357 SIG

Not saying I wouldn't want one, just saying it is not high on my list.

I shoot 357-Sig weekly in a higher bore axis, and lighter platform. A heavy 1911 platform with a slightly lower bore axis (vs my Sig P-series guns), should be more mild. Not shooting 357-Sig because I love it, just have lots of availability for minimal cost vs other calibers regardless of their superiority. It's an awesomely flat shooter for distance, drop is minimal. It's been working well on steel in 3Gun matches.

Since you have already decided on .357 Sig because you can get it and the brass for free, I won't try to talk you out of it.

There are two types of Sig 1911s. The "traditional" type has the original 1911 slide shape and fits in any holster designed for a 1911. The non-traditional series has a Sig shaped slide and will only fit in their holster.

Unfortunately, the traditional line is not put together as well as the non-traditional. It could just have been the 3-4 samples I handles, but all the slides rattled on the frame- really sloppy. By contrast, my non-traditional Tacops had everything fitted beautifully and actually took 700 round to fully break in.

The Sigs have mostly MIM internal parts, but they appear to be good ones. Mine failed a safety check at 40,000+ rounds. I recut the hammer hooks and refaced the sear. It functions perfectly and still has all the original parts. BTW, the external extractor is a dream. I actually prefer it.

Since you are going to be pushing those little bullets fast, make sure you are using good poly coated or heavy pate bullets if you decide to go the non-jacketed route.

Excellent information! Thanks! I was able to shoot 100-rds of 357-Sig thru a friend's Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry today. It was exceptionally well fit for most of the 1911's I've handled (mostly Kimberly, Paras, and Springfield in mil-spec trim). This pistol was fresh from the box with 0-rds thru it before me. It shot perfectly with no problems under fast and slow shooting from 7-yards. Not a torture test, by any means, but it made me feel good about the platform. 357-Sig is much more tame from the 1911 than from my P229 or P320, which I shot today as well. I will likely purchase a Tacops or XO soon.

Ok, so I just ordered a Sig 1911 XO, non-railed, in 357-Sig, Nitron finish. I use Safariland ALS holsters for 3Gun (retention is great and keeps the DQ's away). I don't see that they have a holster that fits with the non-traditional Sig 1911 slide profile. Does anyone have recommendations? BladeTech has a couple, but I'm curious about what those of you who own one are running.

DAA sells a SS holster for the SIG slide, works great for my STX and Max m guns

Get the one with the adjustable bracket as it will work and is legal for SS and give you all kinds of options for position with in the rules

DAA sells a SS holster for the SIG slide, works great for my STX and Max m guns

Get the one with the adjustable bracket as it will work and is legal for SS and give you all kinds of options for position with in the rules

Thanks!

I have actually converted a Dan Wesson 1911 10mm to a .40 and a .357 SIG without any problems. There are a couple of barrel manufacturers that produce them. I would only use a ramped barrel. I'm a huge fan of the SIG and 10mm, but I choose to shoot 40 fit limited and 38 super for open because I lose a lot of brass at matches.

• 2 weeks later...

My Sig 1911 XO in 357-Sig is awesome.

Smooth and well fit, no slop or rattle. Trigger feels about 4#, minimal take up, zero over travel (set right from factory). No adjustment needed on sights, shoots point of aim. I knocked a 2" hole out of the target from 7-yards bringing gun back after each show, engaging safety and pressing back out to drop safety and fire, for 36-rds. No flyers! I may lower the spring weight, depending on the load, but it's a great shooter.

Edited by Scrmblr

• 2 weeks later...