Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BUG guns

valerko

Thanks Rob, that's good to know.

So an 85 round IDPA match will require 5 twenty round boxes of Federal HST . 380 at... what?... $25 a box? ... if you can find them?

That's a bit too rich for my tastes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a very nice way to go BUG with a Subcompact SIG P320. Obsidian Arms has some plus zeros that extend the SC grip nicely but should still be legal for BUG. http://www.obsidianarms.com/product-p/sigp320sub-004.htm

Those look great, but I'm not sure they'd be legal. An aftermarket magazine base pad is not supposed to weigh more than 1oz over the stock weight. Since weight is one of the advantages to these pads, I'm thinking they may be heavier than that.

I like your other idea of using a trimmed compact or even a full-size frame with a SC slide.

I'm cheap, but not quite as cheap as the guy that showed up with a High Point in bug class..he.had to clear a round twice per magazine.

I can see the smirks already, but I would go with my Taurus Millenium G2 in 9mm.

it shoots just fine, has worked better, out of the box than any other gun I've ever owned, has an adjustable rear sight and magazines available in local gun stores (and the trigger doesn't suck).

I saw them for $189 after rebate on a web site several nights ago.

You may laugh now.

Here is a very nice way to go BUG with a Subcompact SIG P320. Obsidian Arms has some plus zeros that extend the SC grip nicely but should still be legal for BUG. http://www.obsidianarms.com/product-p/sigp320sub-004.htm

Those look great, but I'm not sure they'd be legal. An aftermarket magazine base pad is not supposed to weigh more than 1oz over the stock weight. Since weight is one of the advantages to these pads, I'm thinking they may be heavier than that.

I like your other idea of using a trimmed compact or even a full-size frame with a SC slide.

I think it's 1 oz for SSP but 1.5 oz for ESP/CCP/BUG. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I had some weight discussions with the guy who makes these so I would be surprised if it adds more than 1.5oz.

Regarding the trimming, we are still trying to figure out if that's legal. When I brought it up on the IDPA Facebook page it was questioned since the ESP rules don't discuss whether or not it's legal to chop a rail from a grip module. I have pictures of one that I have worked up that I can post in the next week or so. My backup plan is building an SC grip down to give it a magwell and extend it for Compact magazines. The Full size is just ever so slightly tall to fit in the box (actually squeezes into an official IDPA BUG box but I measure it at 5.55") so I have been building for Compact Magazines. I have two different base pad setups that come down to the bottom of the box and look really nice.

Edited by alma

I think it's 1 oz for SSP but 1.5 oz for ESP/CCP/BUG. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I had some weight discussions with the guy who makes these so I would be surprised if it adds more than 1.5oz.

Regarding the trimming, we are still trying to figure out if that's legal. When I brought it up on the IDPA Facebook page it was questioned since the ESP rules don't discuss whether or not it's legal to chop a rail from a grip module. I have pictures of one that I have worked up that I can post in the next week or so. My backup plan is building an SC grip down to give it a magwell and extend it for Compact magazines. The Full size is just ever so slightly tall to fit in the box (actually squeezes into an official IDPA BUG box but I measure it at 5.55") so I have been building for Compact Magazines. I have two different base pad setups that come down to the bottom of the box and look really nice.

You're correct. It's 1.5oz heavier allowed for ESP. Nice find!

So do those basepads go onto a Compact mag or a SC mag?

Edited by BillR1

You're correct. It's 1.5oz heavier allowed for ESP. Nice find!

So do those basepads go onto a Compact mag or a SC mag?

Pictured above are his subcompact pads. Obsidian Arms has two other styles of extended pads that work on the Compact or Full size magazines. I had him remove 0.10" from four of these to ensure they fit in the BUG box on a Compact magazine.

f01wgAu.jpg

Edited by alma

Here is another style using Compact magazines and Springer Precision 0.25" base pads. This is a cut down full size shown here with Compact slide until my subcompact slide comes in.
5e8dqNJh.jpg

Edited by alma

Here is another style using Compact magazines and Springer Precision 0.25" base pads. This is a cut down full size shown here with Compact slide until my subcompact slide comes in. 5e8dqNJh.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I'm picking up my new SC tomorrow morning.

In your opinion, what's the best way to set it up for BUG? Would you use a Compact frame or go with those base plates and use the SC frame? I'll have both, so I want to find out what works the best. It looks like you've tried the available combinations...

TIA!!

Shot the classifier with XDs , missed Expert by about 5 seconds. Did pretty good until stage 3. Racked up like 15 seconds in penalties on those long shots. Pretty much been shooting my bug gun in local co,petitions since , just to get more practice for BUG match. I guess I need to practice low light as well

• 2 weeks later...

Alma,

With the subcompact grip module, what holster options are there?

I see that bladetech and comptac list holsters for the compact, but no listing for sub.

I was wondering if the compact holsters would work, being that the trigger guard is a little different.

jmi786

Edited by jmi786

Alma,

I see that bladetech and comptac list holsters for the compact, but no listing for sub.

I was wondering if the compact holsters would work, being that the trigger guard is a little different.

jmi786

There is a railed subcompact grip available but even that has a different trigger guard. I think the best option is to have one of the many custom holster makers make you an outside the waistband holster. The other possibility is to use a cut down Compact or full size grip since that would allow you to easily use a standard Compact or even full size holster.

Alma,

jmi786

There is a railed subcompact grip available but even that has a different trigger guard. I think the best option is to have one of the many custom holster makers make you an outside the waistband holster. The other possibility is to use a cut down Compact or full size grip since that would allow you to easily use a standard Compact or even full size holster.

My BladeTech holster for the full-size P320 holds the SC model just fine, even with the different profile on the trigger guard. I don't shoot BUG a lot, so it's workable for me.

Good news, XDs ran like a champ. No malfunction. Bad news , my brain had a lots of malfunctions. :)

And you ddin't have any problems from the CSO on the 3-port range regarding your extended mags? He marched me down to the principals office ( equipment check) in the middle of the 3 stages because he was SURE my 10 round (Mass legal) mags for my Mod 2 were illegal and was looking to chalk up a DQ. Interestingly enough, the pistol w/mag fit the box, as I knew it would, but it sure screwed up my concentration for the last 3 stages.

Did I mention that I have a box? And calipers to measure the 1" with? And that I'm an SO? And that I wouldn't risk over $1000.00 invested in a match for my wife and self to try to play with illegal equipment?

There's always got to be at least one @^#*

JD

I used 8round mags. In my opinion 9rounders extended more then 1" below the grip , but 8rounders worked just fine. I used 8rounders or flush fitting 7 rounders. No issues. Actually I got compliment on equipment check , as guy doing it had XDs as well and didn't even know about 8 rounders.

Ended up 21st in expert and 60ish overall. Not bad , but could've been lot better if not for a lot of mental blockage. Lol

Next year I plan to be in top 15. Lol.

Still, good match , lots of fun , great facility.

with the mod 2, as sold here in Vermont, it comes with a 12 round flush mag and a 15 round extended mag. The 15 round mag fits the BUG box. Of course both are illegal in Mass. So I bought 3-10 round permanetly pinned mags from Springfield that fit the compact XD and are the exact same length as the 15 round mag that came with the gun. Fits the box, as we found out when I was hauled down to the equipment check after shooting 11 stages without an issue. Maybe there was a language barrier with the CSO that prevented him from understanding my explination but the incident surely broke what concentration I had left after 12 hours for the last 3 stages.

Lost's of brain cramps on my part also and too many malfunctions due to (I guess) my downloaded handloads (122PF) Only really good stage was #1 for me. Great facility, fun match overall, just too long. 7am to 8 pm is a long time to try to stay focused.

JD

Good news, XDs ran like a champ. No malfunction. Bad news , my brain had a lots of malfunctions. :)

And you ddin't have any problems from the CSO on the 3-port range regarding your extended mags? He marched me down to the principals office ( equipment check) in the middle of the 3 stages because he was SURE my 10 round (Mass legal) mags for my Mod 2 were illegal and was looking to chalk up a DQ. Interestingly enough, the pistol w/mag fit the box, as I knew it would, but it sure screwed up my concentration for the last 3 stages.

Did I mention that I have a box? And calipers to measure the 1" with? And that I'm an SO? And that I wouldn't risk over $1000.00 invested in a match for my wife and self to try to play with illegal equipment?

There's always got to be at least one @^#*

JD

^it was completely inappropriate, many of the SO's discussed this after we found out. He should not have interrupted your stage, the weapon would have been checked in a few more stages either way. On a lighter note, at least you passed chrono.... ask me how I know :devil:

~g

Thanks for the support SafeAction. I wasn't worried a bit about chrono OR my mags since I had checked out both the ammo AND the mags well in advance. When I chronoed again on the Sat before the match, (just to be ABSOLUTLEY sure for my own head) the ammo was running 122PF @ 38 degrees from my 3". It semes to run the wife's Sig 320 SC just fine with her 3.6" but it looks like the XD needs a bit more umph since I had more failures to cycle last Thursday than I needed, and, over the last 2 months also. Need to investigate that. I thought I was OK with the charge that would run both pistols. Maybe I need to check the electronic scales against my balance beam again. After all we're only talking 3.5-3.6 grains in that load.

On a lighter note.for BillR1 and Alma...I don't see why anyone would want to go to all the work to cut down the compact or FS frame on the Sig 320 just for BUG. The wife's above mentioned 320 SC came with 12 and 15 round mags. The 15 rounders will fit the compact, are the same mags as the P-250 and are LEGAL for BUG since they came with the gun, ( in Free States) and don't stick out more than one inch below the SC grip frame. I just got 3 - 10 round compact mags from Sig,(same length as the 15's) for her to use at the Nationals, as I did for my XD just so we would be Mass. legal. Which after spending over $200 on mags we don't need, didn't help my temperment when I was challenged with only 3 stages to go and 11 hrs into the match. Especially, since I had brought this very subject up with Mike Crister via e-mail long before the match and got his OK.

And P320 non railed holsters are everwhere since the P-250 uses the same holster, we must have 6 or so choices currently. FWIW.

No need to re-invent the wheel.

JD