Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BUG guns

valerko

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G26gen4 for BUG, I've used it the last two S&W BUG matches.

Before the updated rules, I had planned on running a G29gen4 (just for ha ha's).... but that's out the window with current barrel length restrictions. Had tossed around the idea of running either a G42/43.... but I don't have as many mags for them, so I ran my classifier with a G26 (which I love for the record).

Normally shoot SSP, so any of the Glocks will work for me. I reload for the G42 anyway, so having to run reloads wouldn't be an issue (factory .380 is still over $20 a box in my area if you can find it), so running factory ammo wouldn't have been an option either way.

I'll be working the match, hope to see everyone in Nov :devil:

~g

I think a reasonable objection to .380 and a 95 PF in BUG comes from those who actually set up and run matches. The 105 PF for SSR has created problems keeping steel targets up in windy weather. Dropping to 95 PF only increases the problem. How many reshoots/match delays to you want to have to run when a popper drops before the shooter gets to it? Or, listen to .380 shooters constantly calling for a calibration shot when the popper doesn't drop when hit... especially if it's an activator? Does one expect the MD to create 95 PF loads just for calibration?

How much do you want to screw with the MD/course designers (all volunteers), and how much do you want to inconvenience the other shooters... just so someone can drag out a custom .380 with handloads that are likely over pressure ... just to say they did it?

Including a 95 PF is going to dumb down course design to the lowest common denominator. Forget the fun stuff... we now just use paper targets.

I think a reasonable objection to .380 and a 95 PF in BUG comes from those who actually set up and run matches. The 105 PF for SSR has created problems keeping steel targets up in windy weather. Dropping to 95 PF only increases the problem. How many reshoots/match delays to you want to have to run when a popper drops before the shooter gets to it? Or, listen to .380 shooters constantly calling for a calibration shot when the popper doesn't drop when hit... especially if it's an activator? Does one expect the MD to create 95 PF loads just for calibration?

How much do you want to screw with the MD/course designers (all volunteers), and how much do you want to inconvenience the other shooters... just so someone can drag out a custom .380 with handloads that are likely over pressure ... just to say they did it?

Including a 95 PF is going to dumb down course design to the lowest common denominator. Forget the fun stuff... we now just use paper targets.

This!^^^

Apparently , we need to shoot classifier before BUG match. With XDs 3.3 and option running full size mags and grip , is it advantage or disadvantage ? Somebody shooting BUG classifier with some kind of mouse gun , could be seen as sandbagger as far as classification goes.

I know that I feel like one , since I'm classified as MM but putting times more on expert level. (I've been practicing. )

My BUG is a M&P9c... same platform as my SSP/ESP/CDP & my USPSA Open/Limited/Production/L10 guns (I kinda like M&Ps)... just smaller. Full size mags make for a better grip and my measurements show they do not protrude greater than one inch from the bottom of the grip. They should be perfectly legal. Classified IDPA BUG MA (only EX in CCP) with it, and also shot the Federal Air Marshal qualifying course clean with it.

It's also my EDC, so it still has the factory trigger. What's not to love!

I'm not sure where you're measuring from...?

On my M&P9c with a full-size mag, the magazine baseplate is more than an inch from the grip. Even if I measure from the bottom of the frame tool, it's still a little over an inch.

Edited by BillR1

BillR1.. I guess it depends on what is considered the "base of the grip". To me that is the lowest portion of the grip frame on my 9c (which I have in my hand at the moment) is the bottom of the frame tool. That is the lowest point on the grip base as I see it, and should be considered as such. I measure from there. With 10 round mags I am right at an inch. With high caps I am slightly over... but the 10 rounders I have are not. The rules say "over an inch". I am not "over" with the 10 rounders.

Alaskan454... I've won BUG matches with my GP-100 shooting 115 PF loads (same as my 4 inch SSR gun) ...the GP-100 is a great choice!. With a 95 PF you can make some truly sub "Mouse Fart" loads.

Safeactionjackson... there is a rule that says you cannot be more than one division lower in classification from your highest division classification. A EX who scores MM on the classifier would be moved up to SS by Rule.

Sorry of the format but I can't seem to make the "quote" function work.

BillR1.. I guess it depends on what is considered the "base of the grip". To me that is the lowest portion of the grip frame on my 9c (which I have in my hand at the moment) is the bottom of the frame tool. That is the lowest point on the grip base as I see it, and should be considered as such. I measure from there. With 10 round mags I am right at an inch. With high caps I am slightly over... but the 10 rounders I have are not. The rules say "over an inch". I am not "over" with the 10 rounders.

Interesting...I didn't know the full-size mag lengths were different for a 10-rounder. Good to know! :cheers:

S&W Sheild. 9mm. All Apex trigger parts. 10-8 rear black sights w/ white outlined tritium front sight.... On your six IWB carbon holster and x3 mag pouches.

I actually have been it using to compete regularly in matches. Competing in ESP, CCP or BUG. It's fun and quite challenging. regularly finishing in the top 5-7 overall.It makes me work, instead of just shooting the match. Funny to see others reactions when you pull it out of your bag/cover garment. Not to mention seeing BUG next to your name somewhere up top of the overall leader board.

And yes.... This is my summer carry.

Safeactionjackson... there is a rule that says you cannot be more than one division lower in classification from your highest division classification. A EX who scores MM on the classifier would be moved up to SS by Rule.

Yep, but it sounds like he's classified as a MM, while shooting EX times in matches.... thats still sandbagging where I come from.

~g

BillR1.. I guess it depends on what is considered the "base of the grip".

A clarification has come from IDPA HQ on where to measure.

Submitted By

Peter Hoffman on 6/23/2015 at 1:57 PM

Question is Related To

Equipment Rules

Specific Rule (Section

Question About Current Rule

Does bottom of the gun mean the bottom of the grip or does it mean the bottom of the grip only where the magazine is inserted? A Glock 19 magazine extends less than 1 inch from the bottom of a Glock 26 grip at the rear, but it extends more than 1 inch from the bottom of the grip in the center where the magazine is inserted. Is a Glock 19 magazine legal in a Glock 26 under the BUG rules?

IDPA Response

The measurement is made from the front bottom of the firearm grip to the furthermost point at the front of the magazine, and must be 1.000" or less.

Some of my older G-19 mags are OK but some of the newer ones look like they might fail. Of course, that is why we have Dremels. ;)

BillR1.. I guess it depends on what is considered the "base of the grip".

A clarification has come from IDPA HQ on where to measure.

Submitted By

Peter Hoffman on 6/23/2015 at 1:57 PM

Question is Related To

Equipment Rules

Specific Rule (Section

Question About Current Rule

Does bottom of the gun mean the bottom of the grip or does it mean the bottom of the grip only where the magazine is inserted? A Glock 19 magazine extends less than 1 inch from the bottom of a Glock 26 grip at the rear, but it extends more than 1 inch from the bottom of the grip in the center where the magazine is inserted. Is a Glock 19 magazine legal in a Glock 26 under the BUG rules?

IDPA Response

The measurement is made from the front bottom of the firearm grip to the furthermost point at the front of the magazine, and must be 1.000" or less.

Some of my older G-19 mags are OK but some of the newer ones look like they might fail. Of course, that is why we have Dremels. ;)

Thanks for the clarification, Bill! I appreciate it.

I'm not sure a .380 mouse gun is an advantage at that power factor (surely not for the third stage of the classifier).

If shooting MM with EX times, you are a sandbagger :)

~g

Was my first major match. Only did it locally and really stepped my game since my lag years clasificaation. Since I won MM class , I've SS from now on. Lol Edited by valerko

Finally got my XDs 3.3 and I have to say , I'm pretty impressed. I got kind of spoiled shooting custom CZs and Grand powers and turned into trigger junkie .THis think has actually sweet trigger and nice short reset .Shot it at local match and really liked it. With 9 round mags it turns pretty much into full size gun with short barrel.

Looks like I am going to be building two grip frame modules up for SIG P320 BUG guns over the next few weeks. The full size magazines are just slightly too long so I will be working with Compact Magazines. For one I will be Chopping a full size frame down to fit the compact magazines and then chopping the rail. The other one will start as a Compact grip frame but I will use slightly modified Obsidian Arms base pads to get the maximum amount of grip legal while still fitting in the box. I will, of course, report back once I have them done but I think it is going to be a really fun project.

let's not all forget that in Mass. posession of a mag exceding 10 round capacity is a felony.

JD

I am factoring that in. Interestingly enough I think the P320 subcompact is only available with 12 round magazines right now. Stepping up to the Compact grip frame gives the option to use 10 round Compact magazines. It looks like those share the standard base pad so extensions will work.

• 2 weeks later...