Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BUG guns

valerko

There are a couple of reasons to cut down a full or a Compact grip to fit the SC slide and Compact magazines. Slightly more grip and slightly better fit with your existing holster would be the first two on my list. That SC small grip is way thinner than the Compact or FS small too. I know a coupon guys who successfully ran Compact grips modified for the SC slide. I will post pictures tonight of some of the mods I have done if I haven't played already.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the support SafeAction. I wasn't worried a bit about chrono OR my mags since I had checked out both the ammo AND the mags well in advance. When I chronoed again on the Sat before the match, (just to be ABSOLUTLEY sure for my own head) the ammo was running 122PF @ 38 degrees from my 3". It semes to run the wife's Sig 320 SC just fine with her 3.6" but it looks like the XD needs a bit more umph since I had more failures to cycle last Thursday than I needed, and, over the last 2 months also. Need to investigate that. I thought I was OK with the charge that would run both pistols. Maybe I need to check the electronic scales against my balance beam again. After all we're only talking 3.5-3.6 grains in that load.

I actually ran factory 115gr 9mm in my G43 (which I decided to run instead of my G26gen4, which seems to be a natural extension of my arm most of the time). A day before the match I found my new 147gr 130-132pf load was shooting several inches high in my G43, with little time to trouble shoot and none of my previous 124gr loads kicking around, I just decided to run factory ammo.

Ammo related issues are very frustrating, especially when they rear their heads in matches.

I was in the hall outside of the meet locker when you returned with the CSO, based your face I thought for sure you had been DQ'd, then I heard what happened.... now it all makes sense.

Hope to see you at the indoor nationals!

~g

I had considered the indoor nationals because it would be a good break from cabin fever,,,not so sure now. And, I read somewhere that they want 6 mags per competitor. I'm not going to spend the $$ just to buy 12 Mass. legal mags for the two of us for our ESP or CCP guns.. We'd have to shoot our BUGs in CCP and still buy 3 more mags each.

JD

There are a couple of reasons to cut down a full or a Compact grip to fit the SC slide and Compact magazines. Slightly more grip and slightly better fit with your existing holster would be the first two on my list. That SC small grip is way thinner than the Compact or FS small too. I know a coupon guys who successfully ran Compact grips modified for the SC slide. I will post pictures tonight of some of the mods I have done if I haven't played already.

Looking forward to the pics! I ordered a Compact grip for my SC gun and want to see where you cut it...

Looking forward to the pics! I ordered a Compact grip for my SC gun and want to see where you cut it...

For a Compact grip, tape it up so you have a good line and take your hack saw and cut just behind the very first rail. You can smooth it out with a file and sandpaper from there. You can also make the angled cuts in at the bottom and on the sides if you want but it's not necessary.

Here is the chopped full size small grip that I posted before but with the SC slide. I did add a magwell flare at the front among other things. This is with a Compact magazine and a Springer Precision .25" extension that still fits in the box.

H61A5XY.jpg

Here is a Large Compact grip chopped for an SC slide (obviously this is the Compact slide pictured) and a Large Compact that has had a lot of material added to make it an XXL grip (full size slide on here for the picture).

Both have Obsidian Arms base pads that have had 0.10" removed from the bottom to ensure box fit.

Cd9axzc.jpg

And here is that XXL grip with the SC slide in a BUG sized box just to show you that it still fits.

sv28JpR.jpg

For a Compact grip, tape it up so you have a good line and take your hack saw and cut just behind the very first rail. You can smooth it out with a file and sandpaper from there. You can also make the angled cuts in at the bottom and on the sides if you want but it's not necessary.

Here is the chopped full size small grip that I posted before but with the SC slide. I did add a magwell flare at the front among other things. This is with a Compact magazine and a Springer Precision .25" extension that still fits in the box.

H61A5XY.jpg

Here is a Large Compact grip chopped for an SC slide (obviously this is the Compact slide pictured) and a Large Compact that has had a lot of material added to make it an XXL grip (full size slide on here for the picture).

Both have Obsidian Arms base pads that have had 0.10" removed from the bottom to ensure box fit.

Cd9axzc.jpg

And here is that XXL grip with the SC slide in a BUG sized box just to show you that it still fits.

sv28JpR.jpg

Awesome pics...exactly what I needed!

Is there any advantage to cutting down a full-size grip vs a Compact grip? I wasn't sure since you're still using the Compact mags...

Thanks again for the pics!

Is there any advantage to cutting down a full-size grip vs a Compact grip? I wasn't sure since you're still using the Compact mags...

The only big advantage would be the removal of the raised notches on the sides of the magwell, giving you a more standard flat profile on the side (as shown in the first picture).

That would then, of course, require you to grind of the matching tabs from your factory base pads or move to Springer Precision .25" extended base pads.

It's obviously quite a bit more work to reduce the full to fit compact magazines so for most people I would just recommend going with the Compact grip.

Edited by alma

So, what sights did you guys run?

I had standard FO front and black rear , what I generally use .

Any real advantage for night sights? Have few guns with night sights on , but they don't seem to be working great unless it's completely dark.

I ran night sights at the BUG nationals, IMO it only made a difference on one stage for me (Stage 12... meat locker). As a sharp shooter I placed 26th out of about 215, for me I think it made a huge difference. I also worked the stage after shooting it, so it gave me a great chance to compare my time to other who chose to use flash lights.

For this match, that was really the only advantage I'd think night sight equipped weapons would have. Sometimes at the indoor nationals you might see another stage that you can get away with night sights, instead of using a flash light. That said, YMMV.

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

For me personally, there were more than just stage 12 that I think night sights would have helped. I really found out that my FO that I like so much in the daylight isn't worth a damn in the dark without a light, which was slow/inaccurate since I never practice in the dark. One of my squadmates had Truglo FO/Tritium and he chose to shoot a few stages without his flashlight and was quite effective without the light. I may change my Mod 2 over since it IS my carry gun and I could SEE where nights could come in handy.

JD

For me personally, there were more than just stage 12 that I think night sights would have helped. I really found out that my FO that I like so much in the daylight isn't worth a damn in the dark without a light, which was slow/inaccurate since I never practice in the dark. One of my squadmates had Truglo FO/Tritium and he chose to shoot a few stages without his flashlight and was quite effective without the light. I may change my Mod 2 over since it IS my carry gun and I could SEE where nights could come in handy.

JD

Very true, I sometimes take NS for granted, if I had been using FO sights, the my answer would have been different. I was think along the lines of if you had them, how many stages could you avoid using a light. Many of the stages I did not mention would have been challenging with FO sights and no flash light.... Probably add 3-4 stages to the list.

I shoot a lot of indoor matches, and overtime have gotten a little desensitized to what most consider low light stages.

~g

Sent from my iPhone

• 2 weeks later...

The only big advantage would be the removal of the raised notches on the sides of the magwell, giving you a more standard flat profile on the side (as shown in the first picture).

That would then, of course, require you to grind of the matching tabs from your factory base pads or move to Springer Precision .25" extended base pads.

It's obviously quite a bit more work to reduce the full to fit compact magazines so for most people I would just recommend going with the Compact grip.

Thanks again for all the help. I shot my SC w/Compact handle yesterday at a local IDPA match. I won the BUG division by almost 40 seconds. That gun seems almost like cheating. :)

• 5 months later...

Some day I will try my RAMI in BUG. It's amazingly accurate and shoots like its bigger brothers.

I actually practice with my RAMI sometimes and it makes my full size CZ feel like a 22LR. I totally agree on the accuracy. It is almost as accurate as my CZ compacts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...