Using coated bullets in a Comp'd gun

selecw

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is my scale off or are the 115 blue bullets actually 118gr? the 125 were on if I can remeber and the 147 are 150gr. Can Anyone confirm?

Different lots of alloys have a bearing on this. I would weigh each batch of bullets you get. I shoot 200 grain for limited. I have some batches of bullets I purchased weighing 194 and some as high as 201.

Is my scale off or are the 115 blue bullets actually 118gr? the 125 were on if I can remeber and the 147 are 150gr. Can Anyone confirm?

Different lots of alloys have a bearing on this. I would weigh each batch of bullets you get. I shoot 200 grain for limited. I have some batches of bullets I purchased weighing 194 and some as high as 201.
I found IbejiHeads much more consistent in terms of the weight of their heads. 3 different batches of orders and i got 199.9, 200.1 and another 200.1. Now that could just be the scale! They seem to have good quality control.

Just an FYI.

Edited by Ryan626

I love the blue bullets, accurate, price is right and they just work. It doesnt bother me that they are 118 instead of 115 I just want to know if its just my scale so I know Im getting accurate readings on powder charges. Two batches right on 118g.

Hello: I think they are fine for practice but I would use jacketed for a match. Think of it this way, shooting them in a match cost less than a fancy coffee. Buy them by the case and they are cheaper, buy with a group and even cheaper. I would say you are shooting an expensive pistol why not feed it jacketed bullets all the time. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I think they are fine for practice but I would use jacketed for a match. Think of it this way, shooting them in a match cost less than a fancy coffee. Buy them by the case and they are cheaper, buy with a group and even cheaper. I would say you are shooting an expensive pistol why not feed it jacketed bullets all the time. Thanks, Eric

Jacketed doesn't shoot any better for me.

I put a mag of each on a target at 50 yards and couldn't tell a difference.

It's been my experience that Blue's are usually 2-4 gr over what they list.

Good to hear. Thanks

Jacketed doesn't shoot any better for me.

I put a mag of each on a target at 50 yards and couldn't tell a difference.

I dont have much testing with them but the few I did test were surprisingly accurate. Just as good groups as the jacketed Ive been using. If they are as accurate as a jacketed why not use them in a match?

T.McDevitt, is that the lead from just the comp?

That would make me think about switching from Bayou if it is. I shoot their .40 200gr in my Limited gun, and the barrel experiences NO leading.

Edited by selecw

This is the lead build up out of a 10.5 inch AR 9mm 135gr coated Bayou @ 992-FPS (slow by most standards) this is how much lead in ONLY 100 rounds after shooting 300 rounds I had to use a dental pick and hammer, then a torch.

Does the barrel have leading in it? Could you try to recover some of the fired projectiles? I am curious when the coating is failing.

T.McDevitt, is that the lead from just the comp?

That would make me think about switching from Bayou if it is. I shoot their .40 200gr in my Limited gun, and the barrel experiences NO leading.

Yes, that was scraped out of the comp, after just 100 rounds, It appeared at first just to be a thin coat, however after a little scraping, it comes out in chunks

I have used bear creek 147s in my open gun without any issue...spray a little one shot in the comp before you shoot...

I have tried, and have a small bottle of one shot in my range bag it does absolutely nothing, Is it possible that Solo 100 burns much hotter and melts lead ??

I have used bear creek 147s in my open gun without any issue...spray a little one shot in the comp before you shoot...

I have tried, and have a small bottle of one shot in my range bag it does absolutely nothing, Is it possible that Solo 100 burns much hotter and melts lead ??

Are you guys shooting minor? Solo 1000 is definitely not an Open Major powder. I have not used 1000, but a lot of folks do for minor loads.

Are you guys shooting minor? Solo 1000 is definitely not an Open Major powder. I have not used 1000, but a lot of folks do for minor loads.

^^^^^ What he said. I tried some in minor and it's certainly not a hot burning powder like Titegroup. Plenty of people shoot lead with it

Based on what I read in this thread, I ordered a bunch of 124gr Xtreme 9mm jacketed bullets. I'll be reloading them with HS-6.

I have a lot of Bayou 124 and 135gr coated that I wanted to use, but I definitely do not want the hassling of cleaning lead out of the comp.

So, can we validate that leading will occur at major velocities?

Based on what I read in this thread, I ordered a bunch of 124gr Xtreme 9mm jacketed bullets. I'll be reloading them with HS-6.

I have a lot of Bayou 124 and 135gr coated that I wanted to use, but I definitely do not want the hassling of cleaning lead out of the comp.

What is your time worth?

For me a few minutes with a sharpened screw driver is worth the cost savings.

It's not so much the time as the hassle of digging into the comp of a brand new gun with a sharpened instrument :)

I'm with you on the cost point in general - my default Limited load is 200gr Bayou. That said, the Xtreme's aren't that expensive (in 9mm at least).

It's not so much the time as the hassle of digging into the comp of a brand new gun with a sharpened instrument :)

Kinda like buying cheapest gas for your brand new Porsche.

"Look! It still runs!!!"

Edited by Foxbat

Let us know how the X-treme 124s work with HS6. I really like X-tremes for minor. HS 6 is my powder for open, but I use MG or PD. Lately, more PD than MG since PD came out with the 124HP.